: Does your stock stereo suck?

benelliwang
10-19-07, 05:39 AM
So far, I've only listened to the radio and it seems to suck pretty bad. The bass is really weak and the treble is not as sharp. Overall, sounds pretty lame for a 8 speaker system. Then again, the Bose system in my C5 was crap too. So is your sound system pretty lame too or did I get a bad used car?

urbanski
10-19-07, 07:58 AM
Bose

theres your answer

CIWS
10-19-07, 09:09 AM
Suck compared to what ? Everything is relative.

darkman
10-19-07, 09:41 AM
I used to think my Vs stereo was pretty weak until I tinkered with the equalizer settings. Once I did that I find it quite acceptable. It does not compare to the $4,000 aftermarket setup I have in my Chevy Suburban but that is understandable.

fredcook
10-19-07, 09:43 AM
So far, I've only listened to the radio and it seems to suck pretty bad. The bass is really weak and the treble is not as sharp. Overall, sounds pretty lame for a 8 speaker system. Then again, the Bose system in my C5 was crap too. So is your sound system pretty lame too or did I get a bad used car?

I have bass and treble levels turned up... FM and CD's sound good. In fact, sometimes bass is overwhelming. I've had compliments from two people that have spent $1,000's on aftermarket stuff (but just because you spend $1,000's doesn't mean you got something good).

However, for some reason XM is flat. Like you said, weak bass and treble. I have a GM/Bose in my Z71 Tahoe, and XM sounds very good, and consistent with CD and FM.

Maybe there are different versions (or programming) of the stereo? A coworker of mine has a standard CTS with the same Bose/NAV system as our Vs. Using the same CD, we couldn't get it to sound near as good as mine. Very flat.

CIWS
10-19-07, 09:48 AM
No doubt the XM tuner is weak. Certainly not the best. But then how old is it's design ? Delphi of 03 ?

fredcook
10-19-07, 09:54 AM
No doubt the XM tuner is weak. Certainly not the best. But then how old is it's design ? Delphi of 03 ?

That may be. Hadn't thought about that.

onebadcad
10-19-07, 02:35 PM
Get a Maggie, headers, X-pipe and B&B exhaust, and then you will not have to worry about your stereo.

benelliwang
10-19-07, 04:52 PM
Get a Maggie, headers, X-pipe and B&B exhaust, and then you will not have to worry about your stereo.

I have a 70 Camaro with 454 rat, long tubes, x pipe and cutouts.
I've driven a C5 with long tubes, x pipe and cutouts for the past 9 years.
I would actually like to listen to music in my slower car.... the CTS-V:o

heavymetals
10-19-07, 05:05 PM

If you want to go slow you should have bought the CTS :hide:

The stock subwoofer is a joke, kind of like the shifter (IMHO), and should be one of the first things to "mod".

Chef
10-19-07, 05:06 PM
Can't hear it but if I could I'm sure I'd say it sucks....Until then it's great:sneaky:

NormV
10-19-07, 05:34 PM

Really surprised you can still hear. A C5 without doubled stock exhaust manifolds can be tiresome over time. At least the 04 and 05 CTS has resin impregnated firewall. Later models do not.

Norm

benelliwang
10-19-07, 06:00 PM
Really surprised you can still hear.

Huh? What? Can you repeat that? *cups ears*:D

tweak48
10-19-07, 09:15 PM
The Blows stereo, uh, I mean Bose stereo in my V is mediocre. Not horrible, but very far from great. But that is typical of all Bose systems I've heard; both their car systems and those pathetic "Lifestyle" home cube systems. I really think GM decision makers select Bose because of name recognition and because they have never heard good sound.

By far the biggest problem area is the XM. Flat, compressed sound with frequent dropouts.:helpless:

The only two features of my 2006 BMW I miss are the shifter and the h/k Logic 7 stereo.

Imperator
10-20-07, 01:05 AM
Huh? What? Can you repeat that? *cups ears*:D

FAWK J00 WANG! I didn't know you picked up a V. You skipped out on CSi. Shaaaaamme!

:hide:

FWIW, the STS-V's Bose sounds phenominal--great imaging, tall soundstage and good balance, but a little underwhelming in the bass dept. for having a 12" mounted on the rear package shelf.

benelliwang
10-20-07, 01:58 AM
CSi? OMGHI2U! Shiiieet having posted there for a long time.... Maybe I should come visit someday...Are they still bitching about ellis juan and interior molesting?

lunarx
10-20-07, 02:11 AM
If it's any consolation, I thought the 08 CTS stereo was no better, if not worse.
I expected more from the latest and suposedly greatest GM offering.

Alan F
10-20-07, 12:56 PM
the regular CTS loaner car I had while my V was being worked on had a much better sounding stereo..

cts-vroom!
10-20-07, 04:21 PM
Mine sounds good to my ears. My only gripe is the xm signal in garages, or I should say lack of....:helpless:

omegafiler
10-20-07, 08:40 PM
Yeah, Bose is just going to be "acceptable." Primarly due to the weak built-in Bose "EQ."

Just make sure when you are "testing" these various stereo's, that you aren't ever ever ever using FM or XM/Sirius for comparison. Both suck. Gotta use a good source if you want to test a stereo. Use CD/MP3 (192kbps or higher) only.

V-Smooth
10-20-07, 10:07 PM
200 or 300 watts I think with the stock Bose set up? Not that impressive but an improvement over that monsoon I had in my maroSS. It seems all backwards though, Bose should really develop a system for cars that exceeds 600 watts. With all the road noise at speed-windows down, um diff whine ;), the sound of my kooks/corsa set up, 200-300 just isnt enough. Although more wattage doesnt necessarily mean better sound quality...

Someone mentioned h/k systems in BMWs...I have always liked the stock sound quality of the h/k...seems like they have it figured out for the most part (my buddy has an oh-so-uber M3 with the logic 7 - great 'stock' system IMO - alomst 600 watts if I remember correctly?)

JD03Cobra
04-01-08, 12:16 PM
I'm reviving an old thread here but this one caught my attention...the stereo is average at best. I was expecting a whole lot more. The Ford Stereo in my Wife's Tauras X sounds 10x better.

Not to mention her $300 Magellan GPS blows away our setup.

CIWS
04-01-08, 12:32 PM
The 5.1 Stereo in the STS-V sounds a lot better. :D

Civardi
04-01-08, 12:42 PM
No high's no low's it must be BOSE.

heavymetals
04-01-08, 02:10 PM
Pretty funny, but you can MOD the crap out of just about anything on the V except the radio.

I take that back, you don't need to MOD the crap out everything on the V, but the radio should almost be the first and it is the hardest.

JD03Cobra
04-01-08, 02:15 PM
I take that back, you don't need to MOD the crap out everything on the V, but the radio should almost be the first and it is the hardest.

I was afraid of that.

heavymetals
04-01-08, 02:31 PM
The easiest thing for me was to add "booster" amplifiers, replace the sub and all the door speakers except for the center channel.

I am a happy guy....

keithsm2
04-01-08, 04:52 PM
i took mine to a local sound shop.....they added some sort of fusion amp and Fusion woofer in the trunk....Having a hard time getting it setup right....sounds pretty good with CD but on Sirius it still has issues....usually too much bass..
I need to take it back and figure out how to tweak the 3 little nobs on it...

Ferny
04-01-08, 05:53 PM
my old 300C sounded great. the V is ok i guess:bigroll:

The Tony Show
04-01-08, 05:57 PM
Does your stock stereo suck?

No.

I have an iConnect iPod interface, and I practically never listen to XM or CDs. The iPod's "Rock" equalizer setting adds enough extra punch that I turn the bass down a little in my V's audio screen.

Max-Q
04-01-08, 07:02 PM
No.

I have an iConnect iPod interface, and I practically never listen to XM or CDs. The iPod's "Rock" equalizer setting adds enough extra punch that I turn the bass down a little in my V's audio screen.

I have the same setup and my HU sounds pretty good. I have no complaints after installing the ipod connector. Now I never listen to anything other than Sirius and my ipod.

Civardi
04-01-08, 07:10 PM
i took mine to a local sound shop.....they added some sort of fusion amp and Fusion woofer in the trunk....Having a hard time getting it setup right....sounds pretty good with CD but on Sirius it still has issues....usually too much bass..
I need to take it back and figure out how to tweak the 3 little nobs on it...

I have the same setup and my HU sounds pretty good. I have no complaints after installing the ipod connector. Now I never listen to anything other than Sirius and my ipod.

How do you guys have Sirius and not XM??:alchi:

Max-Q
04-01-08, 10:30 PM
How do you guys have Sirius and not XM??:alchi:

Install this in place of the XM box. It's very simple to install

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=247350&i=607SIRGM1&tp=87

GMBOUND
04-02-08, 12:05 AM
My stock radio really sucked, then I replaced it with the DNX7100. Now I have all the media, I could ever want plus touch screen control. This still left me with the crappy Bose, but hopefully by August that will be a thing of the past!

MauiV
04-02-08, 12:10 AM
If it wasnt for the NAV and the computer stuff it would have been a long time ago.

The guy at my stereo store said that Cadi just makes it a total PITA to do anything short of swapping out the whole system and it gets worse every year.

JD03Cobra
04-02-08, 10:02 AM
My stock radio really sucked, then I replaced it with the DNX7100. Now I have all the media, I could ever want plus touch screen control. This still left me with the crappy Bose, but hopefully by August that will be a thing of the past!

Nice...Any pictures?

KeithB
04-02-08, 10:42 AM
Okay, so now that someone has revived this not-so-old thread (that ought to be stickied, IMHO) anyone have suggestions for removing/bypassing the crappy Delco/Delphi amplifier on the non-blowz stock radio? Or am I forced to use Line Out Converters with the speaker outputs to drive a better amp and then retain the stock speaker wiring with a better amp? Because routing more wire through the door molex and behind the door panels seems like a bit of effort.

keithsm2
04-02-08, 11:51 AM
BTW....The sirius box puts out much better sound than XM....

04 Attack Caddy
04-02-08, 12:00 PM
Pretty funny, but you can MOD the crap out of just about anything on the V except the radio.

Has anyone checked out this unit from Kenwood?

The CarPortal KOS-V1000

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=kos+v1000&i=113KOSV1K

I think that it is pretty new because I haven't found many reviews/installations. When I have the money to mod the stereo I will most likely go this route.