: Bodyshop messed up my paint and won't repaint the car now, what can I do?

el_bandido
10-19-07, 12:12 AM
The body shop offered a free customer satisfaction detail because of a very lengthy repair job done to my car. 4 mnths to be exact.
When I returned for the detail I left my car and upon picking it up there was compound all over the washer nozzles and weatherstripping. Which I asked to be removed after seeing it.
The car looked good, but after a few days of rain I noticed swirl marks across the hood. Then in the sun I saw it was done across the whole car.
It was so bad that the it made a sort of 3D effect when you looked at it.
I asked a detail shop (who should have been the only place I should have gotten the work done, as they said a body shop is only good for repairs) They polished half of the hood to remove the swirl marks, but they were still noticeable. The detail shop also said that they removed it slightly but they would never go away.
I took it to body shop and showed them the damage and difference, but they would not cover for a new paint job or pay at least for the detail shop to fix what they could. The body shop said they would only do a detail again to fix it, but why let the same guy touch my car again.
They had a painter who knew more than the detailer and made them a little less noticeable.
They are still there and very apparent in the sun.
However now I use the meguiars 3 step wax job of paint cleaner, polish, and wax using a Meguiars Synthetic wax applying the latter 3 times to help remove the swirls.
The body shop still owes some work done, but the most important thing is my paint is screwed. How can I fix this or how can I force the shop to repaint the car. One bad thing is I have had the car since April since being returned.
Does anybody have any suggestions.

thebigjimsho
10-19-07, 12:58 AM
Typical detailing trick. Add filler. Looks good until you wash it. You should always demand a wash upon pickup. And watch the backpedaling begin.

heavymetals
10-19-07, 02:09 AM
After they did such a crappy job, why do you want them to do it again?

el_bandido
10-25-07, 06:17 PM
There are clear coat runs at the washer nozzles that need to be fixed hopefully they have to end up repainting it and I will have the car washed when I pick it up, as recommended, and they have to fix it plus they owe me a V logo emblem.
They also owe me a spare wheel that I asked to have kept when I scratched it. Even wrote "KEEP DAMAGED WHEEL" across the entire page of the estimate and they still tossed it and then I was told I have to wait until another V comes in so if by chance then they can give me a wheel.
I asked for a re-conditioned or new wheel since they threw mine out, but said they wouldn't give me one.
I was thinking of writing the owner, if that helps. Who knows.

Koooop
10-25-07, 06:34 PM
If the repairs were off an insurance claim it's your insurance companies problem.

If not,

I went to a shop that pulled the same stuff on a friend and I quietly told the manager on the side that we were going to file a vandalizim claim with the insurance company (with the cars insurance company, not the shops). The shop took the car in on the spot and completed the repairs to an acceptable standard very quickly. The very angry manager also threw me off the lot and told me to never return.

You have a stolen wheel, a vandalized car and you know who did it. I don't know if my idea would have worked
but the shop sure didn't want to find out.

Would a light color sanding work?

Good luck.

1QUICKV
10-25-07, 06:54 PM
number one it seems to me as your body shop is a bulls@(^ one. "aka bootleg" Why would they toss a good Rim? You might be able to find it on ebay when it gets fixed. Or maybe they fixed you old rim and put it on the car.

Your cars black i would guess. i can't really tell you what type of problem you have or what you can do. wetsand... but if the swirls are in the paint then the car will need to be painted. It sucks. got anypic's

el_bandido
10-26-07, 08:47 AM
If the repairs were off an insurance claim it's your insurance companies problem.

If not,

I went to a shop that pulled the same stuff on a friend and I quietly told the manager on the side that we were going to file a vandalizim claim with the insurance company (with the cars insurance company, not the shops). The shop took the car in on the spot and completed the repairs to an acceptable standard very quickly. The very angry manager also threw me off the lot and told me to never return.

You have a stolen wheel, a vandalized car and you know who did it. I don't know if my idea would have worked
but the shop sure didn't want to find out.

Would a light color sanding work?

Good luck.

I'll have to call Geico about the wheel. Don't know if it will helpsince repairs were done a while ago. I filled out a survey form from Geico, and gave everything a bad mark.

el_bandido
10-26-07, 08:59 AM
number one it seems to me as your body shop is a bulls@(^ one. "aka bootleg" Why would they toss a good Rim? You might be able to find it on ebay when it gets fixed. Or maybe they fixed you old rim and put it on the car.

Your cars black i would guess. i can't really tell you what type of problem you have or what you can do. wetsand... but if the swirls are in the paint then the car will need to be painted. It sucks. got anypic's

The wheel was scraped completely from a sidewipe but not bent, like every other rim I have. I need to go to a wheel shop and get everything fixed and painted.

It's a big name shop I thought it would do a good job.

Yes, the car is black. I will see if I can get some good pics in the sun light.

1QUICKV
10-26-07, 05:57 PM
well believe me i've seen wheels that were missing half the lip and they refilled it wit alu. and that wheels come out like new. The wheel shops do a good job. OEM! TO THE "T" but yeah black cars are needed to be taken care of in a different manner, because black is hard to work with and you need to use different waxes and compounds. Very fine waxes. but like i said i can't tell how bad it is, even if i did have a pic. but maybe i could see by seeing how bad it is. It's a bad situation that your in because i would'it want to paint my whole car and the boy shop is not going to want to either. So will see where it goes. But the body shop is at fault. I would document everything.