: Catera Radio Problems

pradoblings
10-18-07, 12:15 PM
My radio, trunk and fuel door all work sometimes. I found the Multifunction Module under the IP. It is factory part number 90494163 and is around $85 plus tax at the dealer. I will buy it and replace it with the new and let all you know if this works. I noticed some other people with the same problem. I have heard to jumper pins 12 and 14 together but i'd rather just fix it and be done with it. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for all the help from everyones input on this matter!

yellowxhoodie
10-18-07, 04:30 PM
im with you on that one. i'd much rather just spend the money and fix it the right way the first time. Def. let me know how it turns out and how easy it was to do.

pradoblings
10-18-07, 06:11 PM
Will do. Hopefully it takes care of my problems.

SHIFT
10-19-07, 09:06 AM
I have the same problem, please help me out also!

pradoblings
10-19-07, 05:42 PM
Ok, so I got the Multifunction Module in 24hrs, I couldnt believe how fast it got here(to the dealer) :D and I changed it out. So far I have driven it for about an hour total and everything is working great. Volume up, trunk opens, fuel door opens. Once you find the Multifunction Module everything else is easy. Just un-plug old one and plug-in new one. It is gray plastic box with pins on one side to connect wire harness and it is about 2" by 4", located in the upper left hand side under the steering column. Like I said once you find it the rest is easy. The part number is the same as I stated in the original thread. Good luck. Let me know if it fixes everything for you guys.

HappyWolverine
03-28-08, 05:06 PM
I'm thinking maybe this is whats f$%king my radio up, causing it to cut on and off repeatedly. But my fuel door and trunk work fine ALWAYS. Could it still be the mf switch?

Spanky3747
04-28-08, 06:17 PM
sounds like the same problems I am having as well with my radio, and trunk button - is anyone else having problems with the battery dieing? Are the problems related? My battery is brand new.

Plus, any more specific directions for finding the Module (do you have to remove the fuse panel or anything?)

Hucgreen
06-27-08, 11:16 AM
i have the same problem, i told the dealer that was rechecking my work what the problme is, Dignostic is $85, Modual is $86, and they want to charge me $200. to have it installed. I couldnt believe it when he said it on the phone. I'm so pissed. I just want to cry. I told them what was wrong with it and then told them how to fix it beacuse i didnt have time. I cant believe it.

xanax06
06-28-08, 10:59 AM
I've noticed that I can't listen to my stereo more than a few minutes with the engine turned off. Seems like there is no key position for the radio. Is this related to the malfunction module?

elvin315
06-28-08, 11:38 AM
I've noticed that I can't listen to my stereo more than a few minutes with the engine turned off. Seems like there is no key position for the radio. Is this related to the malfunction module?

That's normal.

Elvin

lakesidepark
06-30-08, 12:33 PM
Just an FYI. I actually FIXED my multifunction module. I found that the failure with my module was simply poor solder joints.

10 minutes and a hot soldering iron and I had it fully operational. Take the PCB out of the gray plastic case and inspect the back of the board. Hit all the larger solder joints on the back side of the three relays, and anywhere else that looks discolored.

May not fix them all but it is cheaper than $85 for the ones that it does fix...and it is a correct fix (not just a patch).

Yose
07-10-08, 03:03 PM
Hey guys... First time here and I have a lot to tell you concerning this issue.

The multifunction relay module supposedly (from the dealer) controls the Body Control Module (BCM) power functions. It is more commonly known as K134 multifunction relay module (GM# 90 494 163).

http://home.comcast.net/~drbaljr/K134.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~drbaljr/K134A.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~drbaljr/K134B.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~drbaljr/K134C.jpg

Here's the scoop:

A few months ago my 2001 Catera started exhibiting some really strange electrical problems. First the sunroof failed to open and close. Then it started opening and closing, on its own, with the switch always in the closed position.

Next the car's radio started intermittently flaking out. When the radio would lose power the trunk pop, fuel door, and OnStar would also be affected. From research I found the relay can also cause problems with vanity mirror, power locks, and fog lights.

Here's where it gets better:

Two days ago, while my wife was driving the car, the engine just stopped running while she was driving. She called me and I arranged to have the car picked up. When I got to the car it started right up and I drove it home (appox. 25 miles) without a hitch.

When the engine failed I spoke with a local mechanic who posted the issue on iATN.net. The popular vote for the cause of all these symptoms was the K134 module.

After my wife's initial encounter with the failing engine, the car ran great... Until today.

I took the car out this morning for about 20 minutes and the engine just shut down. I had the car towed to my house and when it arrived it started right up again... Huff

I ran the car to my local mechanic for diagnosis... NO BCM or ECM codes set. I called the local Cadillac dealer and inquired about the K134 module and was told they had never heard of anything called a multifunction relay module. The dealer said the likely cause was the $700 BCM and I should bring it right in for service. Well I pulled the K134 module and ran it to the dealer and plopped it down on the desk in front of the parts jockey. He looked up the module's number and said, "Yeah that's the multifunction relay module for the BCM." Oddly enough the same person two hours earlier had never heard of this part. I'm only writing this part as a warning for others... Had I listened to the dealer I would have spent nearly $1000 for the BCM and not had the car fixed.

The module is located (on the 2001) in the upper left hand side of the dashboard, behind the air vent. If you pull the main and lower kick panels the module is fairly easy to remove.

I had read that retacking the solder joints is a possible fix but I'm not willing to take that risk especially when the engine fails. I did inspect the joints and none of them were cold.

When I removed the module the car had been sitting off for nearly 1 hour. Two of the relays in the module were so hot they burned my fingers, telling me these relays were still energized well after the car was turned off.

The mechanic at the Cadillac dealer said the K134 controls multiple power functions within the BCM. As these little problems such as the radio and trunk doors progress, the k134 gets so bad that it confuses the BCM. When the BCM gets too confused it shuts the car down.

I ordered the module this morning and paid $85.77, $90.92 with PA sales tax. The part should be in tomorrow. After it's installed and tested I'll let you know the outcome. All in all this little bugger sure can cause a lot of seemingly unrelated glitches in the Catera.

mikescat1
07-11-08, 06:28 PM
Does water leakage, say during a thunderstorm/rain, cause a CD-Error on the Bose system? The error has always occurred on my Catera '99 just after a it rains. The problem usually starts with a hushy or scratch sound during CD play then the CD error which then lasts for weeks before it starts accepting the same CDs again.

I've cleaned out the front passenger side drainage in the cabin filter area. But I notice quite some water leaks in the trunk area after I lift the trunk lid. Water accumulates (after rains) inside the brake lights compartment - the one affixed to the trunk lid.

CRISSCO
08-12-08, 01:37 AM
My Radio Does Not Work While Driving But Does Work When Turned Off? Do You Think This Switch Will Fix It?

timmyland
08-30-08, 02:48 PM
Wow, am I glad I found this forum! My 2000 Catera that I bought last November all of a sudden this week had some things just stop working. The radio won't work while the car is running but will work after it's turned off. The sunroof won't work at all. The power windows work but the feature that has them go all the way down or up after a brief press of the button works only on the driver's window and then on the other windows when the car is turned off. The automatic locking and unlocking feature that engages when the car is put into or out of gear has stopped working. If I'm not mistaken, it looks like the guilty part is the same K134 Multifunction Relay Module, elsewhere refered to as the Multifunction Switch or the Multifunction Relay. It's Labor Day weekend and so no parts departments will be open for a few days. I think I'll try to take the thing apart and solder it to see if I can resolve the problem. Either way, I agree that it'll be better to replace the part for a more sure fix.

Here's a question. Since the array of problems in my situation are a little different from the problems listed by others, is it possible there is another relay switch that has gone bad? Or perhaps my car has become possessed by SATAN? Any recommendations for exorcising demons from the electrical system of a Catera?

CANCAT1
08-31-08, 01:56 PM
I am having similar problems on my 97. Started out having the stereo shutting down if I turned up the volume. Turn ignition off, stereo comes back on, channels scrambled. Or even better, still driving, stereo turns off, hit the door lock on your security key pad, stereo back on!

Now, it gets worse. Car actually shuts down when it gets to about operating temperature. Let cool, fires back up, nice and smooth. Sound familiar??? Was always wondering why it took longer to have the stereo cut out when I had the air conditioning on...it probably cooled the K134 relays enough to have the stereo run just that little bit longer. But now that it is affecting the actual running of the car, it really fires me up.

I will try this first, if not, there is another explaination for the shutting down of the car under CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor), that will be my second choice (because it does not explain the stereo).

I will let you all know the outcome...

Thanks again.

timmyland
09-13-08, 09:45 PM
Here's an update...
I clearly have a totally different problem. I pressed the knob on the sunroof for a few seconds and now it just works. It appears there was a power surge that affected it but not as badly as the stereo and automatic locks and dome lights. These three things still don't work (except after the car is turned off and before the door is opened). I replaced the Multifunction Relay Module but this resolved NOTHING. Surely somebody knows which module controls the stereo, automatic locks, and the dome lights.

Army_MP_From_MO
09-14-08, 12:40 PM
Have you checked your fuses?

timmyland
09-15-08, 08:14 PM
Yeah, I checked the fuses. Two of them were blown... not ones that I would think might be related to the problems I'm having. Nonetheless, I replaced them and nothing has changed. The radio only works when the car has been turned off and before the door opens as do the dome lights. The OnStar, although functionally worthless since January 1st anyway, isn't lighting up either... at all... whether the car runs or not. The automatic locks are still not working.

Here's a question that's dawned on me: Is it possible that these things might be related to the Theftlock mechanism in the stereo? Certainly it is possible that a cutting of power to the stereo due to a blown fuse might trip this annoying safety device. Any ideas?

titan175
09-18-08, 06:57 PM
hey i was wondering where this relay is located i took off the fuse panel and still cant find it is there other things i have to remove as well any directions would help thanks

titan175
09-19-08, 05:07 PM
so i took out the relay and it looks perfectly fine althought like said in a previous post it was pretty hot when i opened it up. could it be that the aux water heater pump is broken and is using so much energy that it is taking away from the power that is goig to the radio ? the # 10 amp fuse is also blowing when i replace it but the radio does work until it blows again. ????????

tazmoua
05-13-09, 08:39 PM
I have a q problem with my 98 catera, When i press the trunk button in the car I hear some clicking sound from my glove box, but my trunk won't open. My car radio, door locks fuel door works just fine, Any one please help me on this issue

angelgalindez
05-13-09, 11:48 PM
@tazmoua I am having the same problem now with the #10 fuse. Have you fixed it? If so, what did you do? Thanks :)

R-Caddy
05-15-09, 06:20 PM
I think what you guys are hearing is the Body Control Module. If you interior was flooded during rain (another topic here...), this may shorten the BCM, which controls your radio as well. I have had the problem. Unclog the cabin air filter compartment, dry the car out, replace fuses and hopefully it will work. As far as K134 goes, give me a flathead screwdriver and 2 minutes later the module is replaced. I don't even have to stick my head under the steering wheel...

SanMantT
03-28-10, 03:21 PM
hey guys,

I'm so glad that I'm here with you. at less I know that here i can learn more about my catera problems very much from great people like you.

I have the same problem with my radio.

the problem is:
the radio is turn off when i'm driving some time by itself, and some time if turn any thing on, or used any thing. for example, radio turn off when i turn on my fog light, or open window, or used wheels controls volume, or even closed the door of driver or passenger.

So, i heared here that it might be from K134 multifunction relay module GM# 90 494 163.

but I could not find such thing with same number in my car.

my catera is 2001 sport.
and the only multifunction relay module i found with has numbers on it are these list:

1- 09 173 591
2- 0 332 209 136 Bosch
3- 03 447 012
4- 90 414 477

one of them is gray, and one is orange, and one is blue i think

but I'm nut sure which one is the same (K134 multifunction relay module GM# 90 494 163) to replace it.

plz help.

thanks a lot

SanMantT
03-28-10, 03:27 PM
hey guys,

I'm so glad that I'm here with you. at less I know that here i can learn more about my catera problems very much from great people like you.

I have the same problem with my radio.

the problem is:
the radio is turn off when i'm driving some time by itself, and some time if turn any thing on, or used any thing. for example, radio turn off when i turn on my fog light, or open window, or used wheels controls volume, or even closed the door of driver or passenger.

So, i heared here that it might be from K134 multifunction relay module GM# 90 494 163.

but I could not find such thing with same number in my car.

my catera is 2001 sport.
and the only multifunction relay module i found with has numbers on it are these list:

1- 09 173 591
2- 0 332 209 136 Bosch
3- 03 447 012
4- 90 414 477

one of them is gray, and one is orange, and one is blue i think

but I'm nut sure which one is the same (K134 multifunction relay module GM# 90 494 163) to replace it.

plz help.

thanks a lot

AHazzardToAll
03-29-10, 04:08 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/99941-where-multifunction-module-99-cat.html

hgqguy
04-23-10, 08:20 PM
I just replaced the k134 relay on my 00 catera sport. It is the GREY one. mine was located where most cars have the emergency brake pedal under the dash.. it was a 2 second job. If you email me I can send you the proper #s.. the part is $88 with tax, but if you aske, you can get 10% off... any gm dealer can supply it.

hey I just did one better. here is the part # 90494163

If you call the dealer and give that part number you will get what you need... I was quoted 89.00 for the part. I think i paid 81.00 and my radio has not cut out since!! its been about 1000 miles since I installed!

SanMantT
04-25-10, 04:03 AM
I just replaced the k134 relay on my 00 catera sport. It is the GREY one. mine was located where most cars have the emergency brake pedal under the dash.. it was a 2 second job. If you email me I can send you the proper #s.. the part is $88 with tax, but if you aske, you can get 10% off... any gm dealer can supply it.

hey I just did one better. here is the part # 90494163

If you call the dealer and give that part number you will get what you need... I was quoted 89.00 for the part. I think i paid 81.00 and my radio has not cut out since!! its been about 1000 miles since I installed!

Thank you so much hggguy for the helpful information. I been waiting to hear that since long time.

I tried to send you my email, but doesn't allow me to do that since i'm new member. So, send me your through private message, and I'll contact u in email.

hgqguy
05-02-10, 08:47 AM
no problem sanmantt i hope it helped.. I have had a lotta odd problems with my car, but its just so nice to look at that I want to keep it.

I have problems with this forum and sending emails also... anyone can send me a msg at HGQGUY@ yahoo.com and I can email direct.

I do try to post when I repair a problem.

I think Ill take mine into the dealership once I get my firebird out and put the warranty to use that I bought Ive got collant leaking from the front of the motor, no A/c. leaking P.Steering, bad wheel bearing, heated seats with (burnt out elements I think)... and it still intermittenly idols to low at a stop and vibrates the car.. and the check engine light... I have come to terms with it being a travel compainion.. it wants to be my illuminated friend! lol.

carachase
08-08-10, 07:24 PM
Just an FYI. I actually FIXED my multifunction module. I found that the failure with my module was simply poor solder joints.

10 minutes and a hot soldering iron and I had it fully operational. Take the PCB out of the gray plastic case and inspect the back of the board. Hit all the larger solder joints on the back side of the three relays, and anywhere else that looks discolored.

May not fix them all but it is cheaper than $85 for the ones that it does fix...and it is a correct fix (not just a patch).

We recently acquired a 99 cadillac catera, with the same fuel door, trunk, and radio problems. We tried this suggestion on our car and it WORKED!
We just fixed it and after several on/off, test drives, etc. we have not experienced any problems with fuel door, trunk, or radio! We were able to find the box, and the PCB very easily thanks to you posting the part # on here. My husband hit all the solder joints and re-installed. Thanks so much for your info!!

carachase
08-14-10, 07:50 AM
it has been a week and all is good! :bouncy: no more pulling up to the gas pump, opening armrest in backseat, pulling the rope attached inside trunk lid to pop trunk, opening trunk panel and pulling cable to fuel door!! lovin' it !:cool2:

Cosmo1
08-11-11, 11:59 PM
I too have a 2001 catera but I can not find the area which contains the K134. I have taken off the side panels and can see the air vent but I do not see the modual. What have I done wrong.

Thanks

Dave

heebee
09-14-11, 02:23 PM
my mom has a 2000 catera ...been a pretty good car it has 103,000 miles...a few months ago it started having problems ... radio won't work...sometimes... trunk won't open... sometimes...she ran out of gas trying to get home after trying to get gas but not being able to put gas in, cuz gas door would'nt open....so here is a little tip...i noticed that if the radio is not working the clock is not lit up the gas door also the trunk release won't work from inside button... but if i take it out of park ...everything comes back to life....sometimes it dies out again when i put it back in park... but at least i can open gas door ... don't know if it will work on any other car but if u need gas and u r stuck u could try taking it out of park and maybe it will get u down the road....i guess eventually i will try to replace that relay everyone is squak'in about ...

MoistCabbage
09-14-11, 07:34 PM
Is there no manual release for the fuel door in the trunk?

LVysther
08-12-13, 04:54 PM
Hello. I am new to the forum. I just bought a 2000 Catera and I am having some of these problems listed but I am having my Sport Mode Button kick in by itself. Does anyone think the K134 will fix this problem as well? Thank you.

CodyCatera
09-13-13, 04:24 PM
Anyone have a solution for when the rear defrost is on your radio looses signal?

innocentt702
01-20-14, 06:50 PM
Hello, I am planning on purchasing a 2001 Cadillac Catera with only 87,000 miles on it. But the problem is, the lights on the roof, the radio, the heated seats, only work when car is off. Also, gages stop working all of a sudden, Fuel Sensor says empty when its really not... what could all this be? & would it be expensive to get it all fixed??

kaustein
01-20-14, 08:28 PM
Hello, I am planning on purchasing a 2001 Cadillac Catera with only 87,000 miles on it. But the problem is, the lights on the roof, the radio, the heated seats, only work when car is off. Also, gages stop working all of a sudden, Fuel Sensor says empty when its really not... what could all this be? & would it be expensive to get it all fixed??

DON'T BUY IT!!!!!! Read the post here. The car is one of the worst made in the last 20 years. An electrical nightmare! It isn't worth 2 cents!
Read the post to so how problematic it is

JohnJJO
01-21-14, 08:47 AM
Yes u right. DON'T BUY IT! Unless u works on cars and u will do all job your self.
Parts cost double of cars like Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Honda...
As soon as u fix something, something esle will go out.... im giving up on car, im done fixing it. As soon as I get extra money to put down, im getting me 2014 Camaro. No more used cars..
By the way my Catera in dealer now for diagnostic, because my rpm and speedometer dont work....

Lizzys Cat
07-07-14, 10:13 PM
If you are having the radio issue where it won't power on in position 2 and only key position 1 upon shutdown, check fuse #10 for the aux water pump. This was our issue and not the K134 MF relay.