: 2007 SCCA Naional Championships T2 Report

JMBCTSV
10-17-07, 09:33 AM
Hello everyone,

Just getting everything back in order as we returned from Kansas and the SCCA National Championships. The 2004 Nearbrook Motorsports / Detroit Muscle / Hoosier Tire CTS-V stunned the field with an excellent 6th place finish. The rule book allowed new Ponitac Solstice GXPs into the class running at 2950 lbs, on the same wheel/tire we run on at 3940 lbs! They qualified 1-4, obviously. A Nissan 350Z got me by a couple thousandths for 5th and I qualified 6th, which I finished in as well.
Event results and some photos can be found at the following link. The CTS-V was in T2 which is down the list a bit. Event albums on the right does have a shot of the V corssing the finish line as the car always recieves great positive attention.
http://www.scca.com/eventresults.aspx?event=5643&hub=1
Also TV coverage times are shown at this link also. The Touring 2 race which the CTS-V participated in will be broadcast on SPEED channel Wed. January 9th at noon EST. A long ways off still . . . . . .
A big thanks to our parts supplier, and forum favorite, Luke from Lindsay Caddy for providing all our parts support the 2nd half of this season. I have been doing a ton of experimenting with chassis on this car all year and it really paid off last week; the way this car can handle with the rules restricitons should not be physically possible, but it works.
I also was runner up in T1 in a Corvette in case anyone likes those cars . . . .

Tune in and check us out (in a couple months!)
John

tweeter81
10-17-07, 01:41 PM
Congratulations.

That finishing spot is a huge feat considering you were running against cars that were a full 1000 pounds lighter. I can't believe the rules allow those pontiacs into the same class as the V, but what can you do?

Keep up the awesome driving and keep bringing positive recognition to the best luxury sedan in the world!

Chef
10-17-07, 04:27 PM
Congrats!

1k difference is huge:mad2:

Seems like the new rules are not in our favor?:confused:

Nevertheless, A job well done!

trukk
10-17-07, 04:42 PM
I love these reports. Congrats on competing so well all year long IN THE SAME CAR.

I was over reading some of the stuff on the SCCA forums. WOW, interesting decisions being made over there regarding the GXP ZOK.

What's your take on the 1-4 thing?

-Chris

Nels
10-17-07, 08:25 PM
Congrats on the 6th place finish. Keep it up!

rgd
10-17-07, 10:27 PM
Great Job!!!

lunarx
10-18-07, 04:29 AM
Congrats :worship:

How about letting us in on some of those chassis set-up secrets you mentioned?

rand49er
10-18-07, 10:45 AM
Congrats :worship:

How about letting us in on some of those chassis set-up secrets you mentioned?:yeah: ... and, I'll pop by and bring my camera! :D

JMBCTSV
10-18-07, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the support.

More pictures are available from Ron Lifeman also for classes besides mine, excellent quality and gives a good flavor of the sort of car we run with.

http://ronleiferman.smugmug.com/SCCA%20Runoffs%202007

or to skip right to the gallery that has the V

http://ronleiferman.smugmug.com/gallery/3656630#209467212

My take on the 1-4 thing is that those were the fastest cars to have this year. It may be different for 2008 who knows. They sure are sweet!

As far as setup it has been experimenting with front and rear jounce travel and forces on the dampers to control weight distribution under roll. I can't be any more specific than that. I have to have some secrets. Rules really tie our hands on almost everything else.

I am guessing almost everyone on this forum has more mods than I do . . . . :p

mbiker97_old
10-18-07, 08:27 PM
Whereabouts in Pontiac are you? I work in Auburn Hills, live in Troy, and would love to swing by sometime to check out the ride.

p.s. F' SCCA...they totally boned my friend for STX in auto-x. I love the mid season rule changes that they do.

V-Love
10-18-07, 09:11 PM
Way to go. 6th place great. Especially considering it would have been 2nd with an exciting photo finish if the Solstice wasn't allowed.
I never liked the way they change the rules either. Its like whatever car they want to showcase, they change a rule to accmodate that car.

lonestranger
10-18-07, 09:48 PM
It's called the Golden Rule! The one that has the gold, makes the Rule!! Don't ya know??:D

Way to go. 6th place great. Especially considering it would have been 2nd with an exciting photo finish if the Solstice wasn't allowed.
I never liked the way they change the rules either. Its like whatever car they want to showcase, they change a rule to accmodate that car.

calicadi
10-20-07, 12:09 AM
Excellent showing John in both your classes... congratulations! And thank you for showcasing our car. It's real easy to go with the lemmings and then every race winds up looking like a spec class. It takes class, style and fortitude to race a Cadillac. Any jackass with a checkbook and show up with this year's favorite.

I too have run into the rule book deal in autocrossing. That's why I went from A stock, to Street Touring Ultra, to E Street Prepared, constantly looking to be competitive.

The Tony Show
10-20-07, 01:45 PM
My take on the 1-4 thing is that those were the fastest cars to have this year. It may be different for 2008 who knows. They sure are sweet!

Just a taste of what Team Cadillac has been dealing with in World Challenge. If you want to see some real douchebags, head over to the Speed WC forums and see how many people are whining about the adjustments SCCA allowed on the V's in order to compete against Porsches.

Great job with the odds stacked against you! :thumbsup: