: Is there a special way to program CTS-v using HP Tuners?

benelliwang
10-16-07, 05:58 PM
Is there a special way to download the stock tune using HP Tuners? Because I downloaded the tune using the correct step and now the car won't start. There is spark and engine turns over but no fuel pressure. I turned off VATS and upload the tune with no effect, car still dead. Any ideas?

thanks

Chef
10-16-07, 06:11 PM
http://hptuners.com/forum/

This may help. HP Tuners is not like a hand held. If you start messing with your windows while your "plugged in" or any electronics while loading it may shipwreck you before you get aboard.

StealthV
10-16-07, 06:42 PM
Don't turn off VATS, ever. Unless you're yanking the engine and putting it in a street rod.

CIWS
10-16-07, 07:00 PM
VATS, Stealth ?

StealthV
10-16-07, 07:15 PM
Ja, VATS. There's an inoculation one can get but it stings pretty bad.

Chef
10-16-07, 07:22 PM
I'm jus a seeeempul cook so this one's for Stealth. A module that looks for a specific resistance between two wires. The key has a resistor in it. When you put the key in the column, contacts connect that resistor to two thin wires. These wires go back into the vats module assuming its the correct key, the VATS module sends a specific square wave frequency into the PCM. When the PCM sees this, it allows the engine to run. Without it, the engine never runs.

There are three ways to easily bypass it. 1. measure the resistance the correct key has. Buy a resistor that matches it, and connect it between the two contact wires leading into the VATS system. This lets it think the key is there... of course for this to work, you have to have the VATS box, and the key. 2. make a simple circuit (a 555timer one would do easily) and send the signal directly to the PCM. This is what most of thoes "vats delete" boxes are. 3. edit the PCM code to delete vats... using HP tuners or LS1 edit, its a simple uncheck of a box.

:o

CIWS
10-16-07, 07:22 PM
Ja, VATS. There's an inoculation one can get but it stings pretty bad.

Ahhh video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery :thumbsup:

CIWS
10-16-07, 07:24 PM
I'm a cook so this one's for Stealth. (snip)

Thanks Chef :)

NormV
10-16-07, 08:15 PM
Is there a special way to download the stock tune using HP Tuners? Because I downloaded the tune using the correct step and now the car won't start. There is spark and engine turns over but no fuel pressure. I turned off VATS and upload the tune with no effect, car still dead. Any ideas?

thanks

We'll need some more details.

What tune did you download?

Is vats in serial or PWM?

Norm

NormV
10-16-07, 08:26 PM
Chefo, is there such thing as "old school cooking"? That recipe will not work in serial(vats) mode. The key has to be mated via a tech ll and both bcms functioning. Though non-prignal bcms can be used, a fail safe start will be allowed. There is more but I'll save band with.

Norm

I'm jus a seeeempul cook so this one's for Stealth. A module that looks for a specific resistance between two wires. The key has a resistor in it. When you put the key in the column, contacts connect that resistor to two thin wires. These wires go back into the vats module assuming its the correct key, the VATS module sends a specific square wave frequency into the PCM. When the PCM sees this, it allows the engine to run. Without it, the engine never runs.

There are three ways to easily bypass it. 1. measure the resistance the correct key has. Buy a resistor that matches it, and connect it between the two contact wires leading into the VATS system. This lets it think the key is there... of course for this to work, you have to have the VATS box, and the key. 2. make a simple circuit (a 555timer one would do easily) and send the signal directly to the PCM. This is what most of thoes "vats delete" boxes are. 3. edit the PCM code to delete vats... using HP tuners or LS1 edit, its a simple uncheck of a box.

Chef
10-16-07, 08:45 PM
hmmm. Definitely not my area of expertise or even partially. Old school new school it's still a school nevertheless.

This was some other ideas that were found?

VATS does two things I think?

1. it sends a "ok to run" signal to the PCM
2. it enables the starter relay.

#1 can be tuned out... you just tell the PCM that you dont care if VATS is sending a signal. This is what has to be tuned out on some swaps.

#2 is the reason you cant just tune it. The VATS module puts the relay to ground when it sees the key.... however, you can just put the wire to ground yourself, and problem solved......

so with tuning and grounding one wire, you can bypass it.

or you can use the above method of telling it the key is always in the ignition?

STEALTH?

StealthV
10-16-07, 10:18 PM
Follow carefully - V owner A connects tuning software. Things go bad - we'll call this problem #1.

V owner decides to turn off VATS to fix. Guess what, problem # 1 didn't go away.

Troubleshoot the root cause, not the symptom.

1-800-Call-HPToasters

benelliwang
10-16-07, 10:55 PM
It was a simple fix and I took care of it. Apparently, 04 CTS-V is a little different then the 98 twin turbo C5 I am used to. :D Now that I know, it's gonna be cake.

VAT's is kind of lame, there are only a small amount of resisters on the keys and it can be defeated easily. And most F-body guys kill them when the keys wear out and the stealership asks gazillion dollars for a replacement.

And to the dude who PM'ed me, I am sorry I don't have enough post count to reply.

The Tony Show
10-16-07, 11:14 PM
Follow carefully - V owner A connects tuning software. Things go bad - we'll call this problem #1.

V owner decides to turn off VATS to fix. Guess what, problem # 1 didn't go away.

Troubleshoot the root cause, not the symptom.

1-800-Call-HPToasters

More "Feisty Rick" tonight, eh? :D

StealthV
10-16-07, 11:29 PM
Yep, it was VATS. Get the shot; insurance covers it.

STAGEUP
10-17-07, 01:23 AM
If you havent figured it out, PM me. I'll help you fix it. I know what happened.

StealthV
10-17-07, 01:47 AM
Heaven forbid we share information to help others.

CTSV_Rob
10-17-07, 02:16 AM
Follow carefully - V owner A connects tuning software. Things go bad - we'll call this problem #1....

...1-800-Call-HPToasters
Now that's some funny stuff!

benelliwang
10-17-07, 03:45 AM
Heaven forbid we share information to help others.

I guess I didn't explained on my other post well. It was VATS and yes it is still lame. I did the good old VATS trick since the 90's. Disconnect battery, drink some beer, reconnect battery. Viola! Step 2 was the key.

There, I shared my info, enjoy the beer.:D

CIWS
10-17-07, 08:35 AM
Mmmmm.. Beer

:drink2:

NormV
10-17-07, 09:15 AM
Honestly, never drink when working on the car. Even routine tasks. Just too much room for error and then you'll spend more time reversing your steps to find out what you did you did wrong. By this time your reversing in a drunken state and might as well leave the garage. :)

Norm

trukk
10-17-07, 10:35 AM
More "Feisty Rick" tonight, eh? :D

He's been eating way too many pop tarts lately.

--Chris

Chef
10-17-07, 10:45 AM
Cherry filling is the best with white icing...:D