: Electrical problems

klock
10-16-07, 12:03 PM
My wife has a 97 Catera we bought new, she loves driving the car but it has had it's problems, luckily most were fixed under warranty. The latest problem is electrical. The car will not shift out of park unless you override it by pushing the yellow button under the gearshift boot and the same that went so did the button on the dash for the fuel door release and the trunk release, now to open these you must use the key fob. Has anybody else ran into this problem? I'm looking for some suggestions on what this could be.

Po Pimp
10-18-07, 01:53 AM
There should be a fuse that controls your gas and trunk release. I would check there first. I tried to look back through my manual but could not find out which fuse it was.

yellowxhoodie
10-18-07, 11:01 AM
check out my thread, ive been having a problem with the radio which im told is linked to the gas door and trunk problems.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/119657-2000-catera-radio-shuts-off.html

theres a couple links in there to other threads talking about the same topic.
and
if you can talk to lakesidepark
he has a 97 catera as well and seems to know a bit about this issue.
hope this helps.

DanManDMC@cox.net
10-25-07, 07:39 PM
Replace the multifunction module (relay) located way under the dash to the left of the steering column. This module will normally take care of trunk lid, gas lid and radio not turning on. It is GM Part #90494163. It's a gray plastic box with contacts on one end.

lakesidepark
10-25-07, 08:51 PM
That module should take care of the trunk release / fuel door issues. I'm not quite sure about the gearshift issue but i can look at the schematics and see if I can find a clue to that one.
Does the 'Brake before shifting out of Park" light on the instrument panel go out when you push the brakes to shift? Is it ON when you start the car? Do the brake lights work? These are clues to me.

cat0913
02-05-08, 05:16 PM
Is there a good picture of what this module looks like in its snug little spot under the dash? I spent the morning hanging upside down under the steering wheel looking for this thing and my very untrained eye didn't spot it. (Observer error, no doubt.) I have the dreaded no radio, no fuel door, no trunk trifecta going right now and the gas tank is running uncomfortably low. And the no radio thing is...well, frustrating to say the least. Thanks in advance.

cat0913
02-05-08, 05:36 PM
Sorry...98 Catera. I found a schematic and picture in another post...(http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/99941-where-multifunction-module-99-cat.html)...and I'll be damned if I can see in the picture what was showing in the schematic.