: V-6 vs V-8....what engine to choose

LLCoolJson
10-15-07, 07:35 PM
Hi, just doing some research.....what engine should i be looking for? i hear alot of good things about the 6....also know the n* is a solid motor...but does the * still burn oil?...i have a gtp., it has 260hp and 280torque....will the six return the same performance as i have now in the gtp...or is the N* the way to go? just looking to enjoy my first caddy to the fullest...thanx in advance,,,, Jason

porkfarm
10-15-07, 07:49 PM
My 2005 V8 does not burn oil at all. Go big, get the 8 and as many options as you can . You will not be wishing you got the 6 if you get the 8, but you might be wishing you got the N* if you get the six.

Skibanker
10-15-07, 07:58 PM
LL, I think most folks on this site would tell you that they love their V8 and wouldn't have it any other way, but I've found the V6 to be more than satisfactory. 255 horses is enough for me, it burns NO oil between changes, the mileage is slightly better and is about $8 grand (I think) cheaper (although I'm sure used has a lower spread.). The V6 paired with AWD is the best for me. I think the torque will be less than you're used to though.

LLCoolJson
10-15-07, 08:01 PM
thanks...sounds like a good plan.....just trying to find the best one...i love all the technology.....quick question...does the 05+ sts have the same memory for the seats and stuff as the older sts's....does it remember the settings for 2 drivers ..(like temp...radio stations..seat..steering wheel.etc)....cant wait to get my sts ..:bomb:

Force-1
10-15-07, 08:19 PM
I selected the V6 as I didn't believe the V8 was worth the BIG extra $$$. IMHO the V6 is more than adequate. Plus, when I have the need for speed I have a 400HP C6 Corvette in my garage! :bigroll:

porkfarm
10-15-07, 08:36 PM
It has so many memory funcitons, I am still working on some of them. Yes, you can have them set for 2 persons. You can also input the welcome names ( maybe just nav option ?) . Not that my wife drives it a lot, but her FOB welcomes her as Queen.

c5 rv
10-15-07, 09:15 PM
Just a reminder, that for 2008, the 3.6 DI engine is standard with 302 HP, 252 lb-ft of torque at 5200 RPM, and a six speed transmission.

http://media.gm.com:8221/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2008/HPT%20Library/HFV6/2008_36L_VVT_DI_LLT_STS.pdf

The non-DI engine in the stock CTS is now rated at 263 HP and 253 lf-ft of torque @3100 RPM.)

http://media.gm.com:8221/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2008/HPT%20Library/HFV6/2008_36L_LY7_CTS.pdf

The N* in the 2008 STS is rated at 320 HP, 315 lb-ft of torque @4400 RPM.

http://media.gm.com:8221/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2008/HPT%20Library/Premium%20V/2008_46L_LH2_STS.pdf

LLCoolJson
10-15-07, 11:12 PM
I Thank all you guys for the info.......the only vette i'll be gettin is a chevette.....the sts will be my baby...i have 2 kiddies , so a four door car with some balls and is also a caddy is sweet....prices seemed a little jacked up where i live...was looking online, i might have to travel a little to get what i want ...but it will be worth it...i know porkfarm says his dont burn no oil...but i was wondering if anybody else's does or does'nt..i know the older ones burn oil....thanx

Caroutisine
10-16-07, 04:32 AM
My 2001 SLS did burn oil. So far with 16K miles, the 2005 does not burn a drop.

Jesda
10-16-07, 07:24 AM
I Thank all you guys for the info.......the only vette i'll be gettin is a chevette.....the sts will be my baby...i have 2 kiddies , so a four door car with some balls and is also a caddy is sweet....prices seemed a little jacked up where i live...was looking online, i might have to travel a little to get what i want ...but it will be worth it...i know porkfarm says his dont burn no oil...but i was wondering if anybody else's does or does'nt..i know the older ones burn oil....thanx

If you're buying new (or newish) and don't mind a road trip, check out the supporting dealers.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/plaza-cadillac/

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/superior-cadillac/

ncCADDYman
10-16-07, 09:38 AM
if you're looking into buying a 2008 model, go for the D.I. v6 and you wont be disappointed!

jjsocrazy
10-16-07, 10:36 AM
IMO I would get the six. The new six is amazing with power and sound. Very smooth and when you hit it, it F-in moves! I have an 07 STS v6 and when I drove my father's 08 demo, you notice such a difference, especially in the first two gears. If you were to go with the N*, it's just saying you have the solid v8 and 20 extra horses. I drove the v8 as well and the six is very similar to it in terms of HP, although you can't beat the sound of a v8. I would get the six and trust me, you will be happy, you can save money and still have plenty of power under the hood!

Good Luck!

MARKVIII
10-16-07, 11:40 AM
Save yourself a lot of cash and go for a low mileage used V8. these cars depreciate so much the first 1-2 yrs that you can get 50% off sticker on a used car. i paid 28k for my fully loaded v8 last year. good luck

dkozloski
10-16-07, 01:11 PM
I chose the V8 because I knew from my CTS that the V6 is harsh and raspy. I've never looked back and I'm happy with my choice. In my opinion a smaller engine working its guts out is not the choice for a luxury sedan. To achieve the same peak power a smaller engine will have to be tuned for a narrower power band with the resulting requirement for more shifting by the transmission to keep the engine "on the boil". The luxury experience calls for smooth effortless power. The V6 will get the job done but it will be calling attention to itself much more often.

MARKVIII
10-16-07, 02:23 PM
Binky Bear on fire today...

LLCoolJson
10-16-07, 07:37 PM
Looking to top out at 30k...so i probably will buy used...i was on e-bay and there seems to be some pretty good deals..but i will have to travel...but if i can save like 4k i will ....also, what other car would you chose over your caddy for 30k....i'm 99% sure i will get the caddy...like to get a awd n*....but i know it slows it down...but the awd would be nice in the bad weather..all this info is great..i can't wait to get my caddy....some people want more than just a little bit...it is your life and you're the only one who's living it...live life lovin every mile...the only way to travel is Cadillac style...Cadillac , Cadillac ,Cadillac style....(may have missed a verse)...

porkfarm
10-16-07, 08:20 PM
Looking to top out at 30k...so i probably will buy used...i was on e-bay and there seems to be some pretty good deals..but i will have to travel...but if i can save like 4k i will ....also, what other car would you chose over your caddy for 30k....i'm 99% sure i will get the caddy...like to get a awd n*....but i know it slows it down...but the awd would be nice in the bad weather..all this info is great..i can't wait to get my caddy....some people want more than just a little bit...it is your life and you're the only one who's living it...live life lovin every mile...the only way to travel is Cadillac style...Cadillac , Cadillac ,Cadillac style....(may have missed a verse)...

Not AWD but Jaguar XJ VDP or XJR 2004 maybe 2005

Boombottz
10-16-07, 08:22 PM
Porkfarm summed it up pretty well. I am on my second NorthStar, I tested a V6 before my recent purchase of same year with V*8. No regrets....and the mileage is not even worth a mention, if so....buy a Yaris. If however, a V6 is your only option due to price or whatever, don't consider it a compromise it is still a nice powerplant.

Caddy=power=luxury=performance.

c5 rv
10-16-07, 09:41 PM
Looking to top out at 30k...so i probably will buy used...

I also recommend CPO.

LLCoolJson
10-16-07, 09:49 PM
I will hopefully be able to find a n* will the options and the color i want....i know the 6 is a solid choice....any option that i should be looking for that is one not to live without? also, i was reading that the 5.1 stereo dosent push out much bass....any opinions?...when i was younger i was one of those guys with the bass that shook the houses....don't need the bass that strong anymore, but would like some solid bass....thanx again for all of this info...Lets go FLYERS....

Boombottz
10-16-07, 10:20 PM
Check out CarMax online for a nice selection. I gladly paid $249 transfer fee for my '05 with 3445 miles. Also my fifth purchase from CM and second Caddy from same. My local dealer who is my service guy, couldn't come close and agreed on the great deal.

LLCoolJson
10-16-07, 11:27 PM
THANX for the info.....just checked out carmax....they have some nice deals on there....better prices than the stealerships here in philly.....has anybody bought a car off e-bay? and how was the expereince?......also was looking at carsense.....not many caddy's.....

lbwd
10-16-07, 11:27 PM
My 2005 V8 does not burn oil at all. Go big, get the 8 and as many options as you can . You will not be wishing you got the 6 if you get the 8, but you might be wishing you got the N* if you get the six.

Amen. The V8 also sounds better. If you plan on changing the exhaust in the future for an even better sound, the V8 will take you much further. My '96 STS V8 sounds really good... I drove the '06 STS V6 and it was no good IMO.

As far as eBay, etc... there's also www.AutoTrader.com. If you go with eBay, check the car in person before buying. Always. Period.

z06bigbird
10-16-07, 11:46 PM
Definitely go with V8.

Much improved over past 14 years.

MARKVIII
10-17-07, 08:21 AM
I bought mine from a porsche/bmw/benz dealer. it was traded in for a bmw and the owner of this carlot was going to send it to auction. he does not sell or even allow domestic cars on his lot and was just looking to get wholesale on it. i happen to contact him threw the internet and drove up to where he was and bought the car. i never thought i would ever by a car like that but i have to say it worked out great.

loman
10-17-07, 01:50 PM
The concensus here is go with a V8 . i had a V8 in my 2000 sts and it was great .
i now have a 2006 awd V6 with 1sc package , This package has about everything you would ever want in a car.
The V6 is adequate , but if i found one with a V8 i would of bought it . Other than that ,the car is perfect.
I have the 5.1 audio in my car , and the bass can be adjusted to whatever dergree you want . Car has a subwoofer in the back .You can also adjust for better sound aimed at the driver position. The caddy`s
depreciate quite a bit over the first two years , so the value is outstanding for a great car at a great price .

LLCoolJson
10-17-07, 09:26 PM
THANX....i will look for the n*.....i cant wait to get my sts...you guys got me all fired up....gettin a little anxious.....i enjoy my GTP..but the caddy is gonna be so sweet......does anybody have the HUD? i had it in my last to cars and kinda got use to it......let me go look at autotrader,cars.com and ebay,,,,i will find my Caddy.......Lets go Flyers

Cajonkev
10-17-07, 11:28 PM
There is a good number of folks here with ACC/HUD.

Benjamin Simon
10-19-07, 02:53 AM
The ACC with HUD is a must have. I have trouble drive less stellar cars these days.

dkozloski
10-19-07, 10:39 AM
ACC is the answer for ADD.