Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Wiring New CD player in a 88 DeVille

890 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  PersonMan 
#1 ·
I'm having trouble with the wiring for a new head unit in my 88 Sedan DeVille. I pulled out the old tape deck. It says "symphony sound" on the front. It used three 4-pin connectors on the back side. The wiring connector I got (says for GM 88 and up, including the DeVile) doesn't fit.

From what I gather, this car has a factory built in amplifier? So what are my options for wiring this thing together? Do I need an adapter to convert from speaker out to line-level? Do I also need a different harness for the 12 pins (3x4)?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Ok, well, I solved my own problem. Even though the wiring kit said it worked for an 88 DeVille, what I wanted was the other wiring kit that also said it was for an 88 Deville - the key was the 12 pin connectors.
So, now a new problem - when the radio is turned up too loud, or it hits hard, my dash lights dim. Is there something specific about the Cadillac that I should know, or should I just assume that I'm not getting enough power off the alternator and I need to find some way to get more power (new alternator or capacitor)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.