: just got a 98 catera and have a few questions

cateraowner
10-15-07, 03:32 PM
ok, just got a 98 catera 2 weeks ago and I'm loving it. put on 3,000 km on it already with a couple of road trips. the car is great, still a lot of power for a high milage car (199,000 km when I bought it)

my question ism what's normally the temp that your guys' catera runs at? in city driving on a sunny day (about 15 degrees C) the needle moves back aand forth from half to 5/8ths mark. my previous couple of car temps always stay constant at below half. so is this normal tempurature for the catera?

the reason that makes me notice the temp a bit is that I do smell coolant when I drive. but any one the jacks my car up and check underneath says there is no coolant leak. I check my oil dipstick and there is no milkyness so I assume it's not going into the engine. and the coolant does go down slowely. but don't know where it's going. can it be burning off somewhere? any suggestions what it can be? or what I can check?

and last question. the car is a little sluggish of the line. what mods can I to the car that would help this.

Thanks guys

Cadi Cat
10-15-07, 11:19 PM
Smelling burnt coolant? But none in the oil? Try checking the rubber line that runs from the resevoir into a steel line to the engine. That's right above the passenger side manifold and could be dripping there. And unfortunatly there are no mods for this car. Nothing to make a difference. I've looked and looked, and so have the rest of us. But it is definatly great when you gotta pass someone on a 2 lane highway!:thumbsup: It'll do a nice burnout if you give it a little nudge and get the tires hot.

cateraowner
10-16-07, 02:06 AM
Smelling burnt coolant? But none in the oil? Try checking the rubber line that runs from the resevoir into a steel line to the engine. That's right above the passenger side manifold and could be dripping there. And unfortunatly there are no mods for this car. Nothing to make a difference. I've looked and looked, and so have the rest of us. But it is definatly great when you gotta pass someone on a 2 lane highway!:thumbsup: It'll do a nice burnout if you give it a little nudge and get the tires hot.

thanks, I check the line tomorrow after work.

yeah the car is great on the highway, it's a great road trip car.

how about a K&N air filter? do they do anything? I'm talking about the cone ones. I wanna get one but, there is no point if they don't really do anything.

Cadi Cat
10-16-07, 02:26 AM
I have a K&N filter. It doesn't make much difference everyone says but I feel a little more pep since I've had mine. Maybe no more hp is created but it feels more responsive I think. Besides that you wouldn't have to buy a new filter ever again. So it would pay for itself.

cateraowner
10-19-07, 03:14 PM
since I can't seem to find a cold air intake for the car I'll go out and buy a K&N filter and try the make shift cold air intake trick that I found in an old tread here.

another question.. I've only had my catera for 3 weeks now and it runs great. but I'm reading a lot about this car being a nightmare when it comes to maintanence. how bad is it. It's hard to tel since I assume a lot of these people are complaining since they are expecting caddy reliability. I do do most of the work myself. so some problems wont be too bad. I've had a 96 and a 98 blazer before and that was pretty bad on maintanence, but managable. does any one know how it compares to other mid 90's gm's?