: New member intro and inquiry

qpilot
10-15-07, 12:17 PM
Hi all, just wanted to say hello. I've never owned a Cadillac before and am about to purchase an 05 CTS-V. I just sold my 07 BMW M5 and am hoping to add a supercharger, etc to the CTS-V and have some fun with it - I'd like to make it faster off the line than the M5 was.
In any case, before I pull the trigger on this car (I have the check in hand) I was curious if there are any caveats that you all think I should check on first.
Thanks in advance,
Randy...

Seattle CTS-V
10-15-07, 12:32 PM
You should have kept the M5 if all you want to do is be faster off the line. The Caddy is not a dependable drag-racer w/o some serious suspension work. You also have to worry about shifting perfectly. Here's what a modded V can do to an M5 on a road course though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8aLmCnFsJ8

Jon
10-15-07, 12:33 PM
You should have kept the M5...

:cookoo: :p

tx_metabaron
10-15-07, 12:35 PM
Hi,Welcome,search the forum for rear differential and you will have a glimpse of what some owners have experienced.

Note: With the price of a 07 M5,you should be able to afford TWO Vs...

qpilot
10-15-07, 12:46 PM
Or a V and a downpayment on a house in FL :-) to keep the wife happy. I just posted the vin to see if anything turns up there. I LOVED the M5 in fact I had an 06 before it but the SMG drove me crazy. I really want a car I can fiddle with and the M5 with all the gizmos just isn't it. Really I just want a sedan with a 6spd manual - this seems a good option and since my last american car was an 1987 model I think it is time for another try.
Thanks!

Flyboy
10-15-07, 12:55 PM
You WILL love the "V".......Lotsa' mods as I'm sure you're already aware.

Do you fly? (I mean in the air vs ground) LOL

tx_metabaron
10-15-07, 12:59 PM
Or a V and a downpayment on a house in FL :-) to keep the wife happy. I just posted the vin to see if anything turns up there.

Makes sense to me.
I believe members will run the VIN checks only for registered forum members(which is still cheaper than Carfax ;))
Good luck with the search,you'll love the no frills /all muscle approach of the V

50 4Ever
10-15-07, 01:02 PM
As mentioned above the read end and wheel hop are the weak points. I have an '05 with over 35K miles and love it. It has seen the road course three times, but I don't drag. Also there will probably be a warranty issue if you add the supercharger, if the rear end goes it might not be covered under warranty.

qpilot
10-15-07, 01:03 PM
You WILL love the "V".......Lotsa' mods as I'm sure you're already aware.

Do you fly? (I mean in the air vs ground) LOL

Yup -in fact started my flying in north phoenix! Live in GA now and the price of avgas keeps me flying low :-)

heavymetals
10-15-07, 01:24 PM
Vin checks were done for anybody by anybody who wanted to take the time to do it.

There has been no requirement to become a supporting member, but it makes sense, and is very inexpensive. :thumbsup:

badcaddy
10-15-07, 08:15 PM
qpilot, it sounds like you are thinking exactly the way I did....had a '05 911 cabrio. About 6 months ago I had the desire to get a manual sedan that felt like a new version of an old muscle car. Wanted performance, head room, some trunk space and room for mods. I have already done the suspension and Magnaflow, but will probably have Lindsey Cadillac do the UUC shifter and flywheel within the next couple months. Right now I am waiting on some black Asanti 20" rims. This car has been a blast to drive. The sound and torque are worth the price. I have no regrets (and I have owned German cars for the last 20 years). By the way, I too hated the SMG.

HushH
10-15-07, 09:57 PM
Welcome. What part of GA are you in? There are quite a few members in the Atlanta area with various degrees of this mod sickness.

qpilot
10-16-07, 05:47 AM
Thanks all for the warm welcome so far! I'm in Macon GA but travel to Atlanta every week. I'll be pretty active on the board once I get my hands on a car - ostensibly Saturday morning! First order of business sounds like the skip shift defeat but I will certainly know more once I have a few miles on one. In all honesty the one car I did test drive I never had the skip shift issue come up - don't know if it is how I drove it or the previous owner had defeated it and the salesman didn't know. Is there some light that should come on even if the defeat is in place?

rand49er
10-16-07, 06:41 AM
Three possibilities:

1) It has a CAGS eliminator,
2) You shifted at speeds higher than the CAGS is effective, or
3) You shifted at very low speeds where the CAGS does not come into play.