: New member intro and inquiry

10-15-07, 12:17 PM
Hi all, just wanted to say hello. I've never owned a Cadillac before and am about to purchase an 05 CTS-V. I just sold my 07 BMW M5 and am hoping to add a supercharger, etc to the CTS-V and have some fun with it - I'd like to make it faster off the line than the M5 was.
In any case, before I pull the trigger on this car (I have the check in hand) I was curious if there are any caveats that you all think I should check on first.
Thanks in advance,

Seattle CTS-V
10-15-07, 12:32 PM
You should have kept the M5 if all you want to do is be faster off the line. The Caddy is not a dependable drag-racer w/o some serious suspension work. You also have to worry about shifting perfectly. Here's what a modded V can do to an M5 on a road course though...

10-15-07, 12:33 PM
You should have kept the M5...

:cookoo: :p

10-15-07, 12:35 PM
Hi,Welcome,search the forum for rear differential and you will have a glimpse of what some owners have experienced.

Note: With the price of a 07 M5,you should be able to afford TWO Vs...

10-15-07, 12:46 PM
Or a V and a downpayment on a house in FL :-) to keep the wife happy. I just posted the vin to see if anything turns up there. I LOVED the M5 in fact I had an 06 before it but the SMG drove me crazy. I really want a car I can fiddle with and the M5 with all the gizmos just isn't it. Really I just want a sedan with a 6spd manual - this seems a good option and since my last american car was an 1987 model I think it is time for another try.

10-15-07, 12:55 PM
You WILL love the "V".......Lotsa' mods as I'm sure you're already aware.

Do you fly? (I mean in the air vs ground) LOL

10-15-07, 12:59 PM
Or a V and a downpayment on a house in FL :-) to keep the wife happy. I just posted the vin to see if anything turns up there.

Makes sense to me.
I believe members will run the VIN checks only for registered forum members(which is still cheaper than Carfax ;))
Good luck with the search,you'll love the no frills /all muscle approach of the V

50 4Ever
10-15-07, 01:02 PM
As mentioned above the read end and wheel hop are the weak points. I have an '05 with over 35K miles and love it. It has seen the road course three times, but I don't drag. Also there will probably be a warranty issue if you add the supercharger, if the rear end goes it might not be covered under warranty.

10-15-07, 01:03 PM
You WILL love the "V".......Lotsa' mods as I'm sure you're already aware.

Do you fly? (I mean in the air vs ground) LOL

Yup -in fact started my flying in north phoenix! Live in GA now and the price of avgas keeps me flying low :-)

10-15-07, 01:24 PM
Vin checks were done for anybody by anybody who wanted to take the time to do it.

There has been no requirement to become a supporting member, but it makes sense, and is very inexpensive. :thumbsup:

10-15-07, 08:15 PM
qpilot, it sounds like you are thinking exactly the way I did....had a '05 911 cabrio. About 6 months ago I had the desire to get a manual sedan that felt like a new version of an old muscle car. Wanted performance, head room, some trunk space and room for mods. I have already done the suspension and Magnaflow, but will probably have Lindsey Cadillac do the UUC shifter and flywheel within the next couple months. Right now I am waiting on some black Asanti 20" rims. This car has been a blast to drive. The sound and torque are worth the price. I have no regrets (and I have owned German cars for the last 20 years). By the way, I too hated the SMG.

10-15-07, 09:57 PM
Welcome. What part of GA are you in? There are quite a few members in the Atlanta area with various degrees of this mod sickness.

10-16-07, 05:47 AM
Thanks all for the warm welcome so far! I'm in Macon GA but travel to Atlanta every week. I'll be pretty active on the board once I get my hands on a car - ostensibly Saturday morning! First order of business sounds like the skip shift defeat but I will certainly know more once I have a few miles on one. In all honesty the one car I did test drive I never had the skip shift issue come up - don't know if it is how I drove it or the previous owner had defeated it and the salesman didn't know. Is there some light that should come on even if the defeat is in place?

10-16-07, 06:41 AM
Three possibilities:

1) It has a CAGS eliminator,
2) You shifted at speeds higher than the CAGS is effective, or
3) You shifted at very low speeds where the CAGS does not come into play.