: 1968 472 HEI SWAP, Big time Problems!

04-26-04, 05:46 PM
The motor is a 1968 Cadillac 472.I've set #1 to TDC(compression stroke),dropped the distributor in and set my cap up accordingly.Still,nothing but backfiring through the carb&not starting.My CHILTON book showed #1 at about 1 o'clock;this was for 68's only.Should the vacuum adv.be pointing in any certain direction?

04-27-04, 09:51 AM
Are you sure you have timed it with #1 at TDC on the compression stroke? Sounds like you are 180 degrees off.

Steve B.

Angela Desmond
04-27-04, 10:05 AM
Well, it's obviously out of time if it's backfiring. Of course, you remembered that Caddy #1 is on the passenger side, unlike other motors...When you put the dist. in, make sure the star wheel on the dist. is exactly on the firing point. A little one way or the other and you'll be pretty far off. Sometimes, removing a distributor can move the oil pump position slightly and you'll think you're dropping the new dist. in exactly as the old one came out, but you'll be a little off, that's why you should check the star wheel. Face the vacuum adv. in pretty much the same direction as the dist. you took out.Hope that helps some...

04-27-04, 11:47 AM
I,m gonna do just that,thanks for the input.Hopefully my next post'll say running 68 cad motor.....