: 1968 472 HEI SWAP, Big time Problems!

EvilTrucks
04-26-04, 06:46 PM
The motor is a 1968 Cadillac 472.I've set #1 to TDC(compression stroke),dropped the distributor in and set my cap up accordingly.Still,nothing but backfiring through the carb&not starting.My CHILTON book showed #1 at about 1 o'clock;this was for 68's only.Should the vacuum adv.be pointing in any certain direction?

Imprl59
04-27-04, 10:51 AM
Are you sure you have timed it with #1 at TDC on the compression stroke? Sounds like you are 180 degrees off.

Steve B.

Angela Desmond
04-27-04, 11:05 AM
Well, it's obviously out of time if it's backfiring. Of course, you remembered that Caddy #1 is on the passenger side, unlike other motors...When you put the dist. in, make sure the star wheel on the dist. is exactly on the firing point. A little one way or the other and you'll be pretty far off. Sometimes, removing a distributor can move the oil pump position slightly and you'll think you're dropping the new dist. in exactly as the old one came out, but you'll be a little off, that's why you should check the star wheel. Face the vacuum adv. in pretty much the same direction as the dist. you took out.Hope that helps some...

EvilTrucks
04-27-04, 12:47 PM
I,m gonna do just that,thanks for the input.Hopefully my next post'll say running 68 cad motor.....