: Ran out of gas, Car barely Runs

A1beshouri
10-14-07, 02:07 AM
Well ever since I got my car, my gas gauge has malfunctioned, it occasionaly goes between 0 gallons and a half tank, well the other night I thought I had a half tank and the car died on me. We got some gas in it, and let it idle a bit, then I go to drive it down the road and i hear a combination of CRACK POP CRACK POP POP and the car dies, this happens a couple times until I figured out that the car cannot pass 4000 Rpms , if it does the car freaks out and either the car stalls, or the RPMS show 0 but the car still runs. It has also happened a couple times in the 3400 rpm range. I took the battery off and reattached it an hr later to see if resetting the comp would do anything but im not sure what it is, to me it sounds like the MAF or the fuel pump, im guessing the pump cuz im not sure how the maf would have been damaged but the symptoms are identical to my friends Honda that got shit caught up in his MAF

Keys8541
10-14-07, 07:04 AM
set it on fire in a corn field....

thats what i'd do!

CIWS
10-14-07, 09:45 AM
Junk in the fuel filter from draining the tank ?

I use my computer to monitor fuel used, it's not perfect, but it's within .5 - 1 gallon at the worst. The guage is a secondary indicator for me.

Luna.
10-14-07, 01:44 PM

That's what I was speculating.

V-Smooth
10-14-07, 04:21 PM
I've ran out of gas before-once, not a pretty thing during a windy rain storm doh! I figure if you get the 'low fuel pop-up' five or six times you need to find gas, QUICK!

Sorry to hear about your issues...

StealthV
10-14-07, 04:35 PM
Sounds like the two fuel pumps and twin tanks of the V aren't happy. If it's under warranty, it's a dealer fix it issue.

caddyv8v
10-14-07, 05:07 PM
the other day mine started acting like it was running out of fuel while accelerating up a long hill, but the gauge was on 1/4. i was 1/2 mile from the house and the gas station was 1/2 mile further down the road. long story short, it would not run when i restarted in the driveway, so and i added a gallon out of a gas can. started rough, then ran fine. went and filled up and have not experienced any symptoms since. thought the gauge was inaccurate, but perhaps it was/is a fuel pump.

z06bigbird
10-14-07, 05:14 PM
I would get a mechanic on it instead of wasting hours diagnosing by seat of pants.

A1beshouri
10-14-07, 05:55 PM
yeah the dealerships gonna check it out tom, no way its under warranty considering the procharger fuel pump booster and injectors, along w/ all the other stuff

trukk
10-15-07, 03:23 PM

I use my computer to monitor fuel used, it's not perfect, but it's within .5 - 1 gallon at the worst. The guage is a secondary indicator for me.

I ran out of gas once, within the first month. As best as I coould tell, when the 'low gas' message comes on, you've got about a gallon left. Since then, I said EFF it, and just fill the car up daily. Also once it get's to half a tank on the meter, I start looking to fill it up.

-Chris

The Tony Show
10-15-07, 03:38 PM
What "Fuel Level Low" on a CTS really means is "Start looking for a place to pull off the road".

CTSV_Rob
10-15-07, 08:42 PM
...or the RPMS show 0 but the car still runs...
This kind of sounds like an electrical problem to me. sensor going bad, bad ground, loose wire....

I agree with taking it to the dealer to get them to take a look at it for you. It could always be a couple of things.

Yup, "Fuel Level Low" not much of a "warning".

rly
02-09-08, 01:57 PM
I have a new 2008 CTS that quit on me on I-94 in Chicago, and have had Both the primary pump and the secondary pumped replace at 1500 miles! I'm not pleased......the dealership said they "hoped" that they fixed the problem, let us know if it happens again!! Oh I will, bet on it!!!!!!

Flyboy
02-09-08, 08:58 PM
Being a Aircraft Pilot, I'm kinda' paranoid about "fuel remaining" as we call it. I've never let the indicator get below 1/8. (Either in the "V" or the plane).

Joking aside, after all I've read about folks running out of gas in these cars, I think there is a problem with the indicating system, especially when very low on fuel.

When I approach 1/4 tank, I'm looking for a station.

Black Sunshine
02-09-08, 11:03 PM
Every time you run completely out of gas you just reduced the remaining life expectency of your fuel pump(s) by 50%.

MauiV
02-09-08, 11:15 PM
Being a Aircraft Pilot, I'm kinda' paranoid about "fuel remaining" as we call it. I've never let the indicator get below 1/8. (Either in the "V" or the plane).

Being an Air Traffic Controller, all I can say is dont EVER ask your sequence. You just became number last, which at midnight at my airport is a pretty damn long ride. Thats what Brown does for you.