: Front end clunk

rotharch
10-13-07, 10:02 AM
06 SRX 2WD V-6...has clunk in front end, sounds/feels like something loose in suspension, only happens on certain road conditions (washboard, for example). Dealer said A/C hose was rubbing on body, fixed it, no change. Dealer then replaced tie rod bushings, still no change. Anyone have a similar problem? This is destroying my ownership happiness. Cadillac customer service said that I should just ignore it, offered free 3-year maintenance to shut me up. My next step is to file a lemon law suit - would prefer to get it fixed, but if not...

c5 rv
10-13-07, 04:10 PM
I have the same car, same problem, and same results after three trips to the dealer. My noise is most evident at slow speeds when turning on uneven surfaces. As the body rocks, I hear a loud crunching sound.

rotharch
10-14-07, 09:05 AM
...sounds similar to my problem...and I assume the dealer has not been able to help?

Nimrod
10-14-07, 10:09 AM
I use to have that problem in my SAAB 9-5 -04.
In three years the dealer was not able to locate the problem or fix it.:banghead:
Now its sold and i have ordered an SRX -06. I really hope I want have the same problem with the SRX!!!:annoyed:

MortnCyn
10-14-07, 04:26 PM
Does anyone ever think it may be a strut? Could it be a bad strut or possibly a loose strut? Had a vehicle once that kept drifting left and made noise in the left front. A bad strut can sure make a wheel act differently. I could kick the tire and hear the noise. The dealer could not find it. I laid under the left front and had my wife kick the tire. Pushed on the shock and it moved.

keendog
10-14-07, 10:52 PM
Hey guys, had the problem as well. Took three trips to the delare to get right. I told them very specifically it happened when on a washboard type road, went away when the brakes were applied. It was two parts, part #88955494 Bracket 6.177 and part #25759231 Insulator 7.243
Took care of the problem on that side, now I hear the clackety-clack noise on the other. Started at 85k miles, 2005 SRX v8 with everything.

Richard V8
10-16-07, 01:41 AM
Thanks, you folks have saved my sanity! In my case, it's usually a low speed (perhaps we just can't hear it at higher speeds?), turning sharply with a bit of a bump; parking lots and driveways come to mind. It almost sounds like a worn out driver's seat squeaking under a - ahem - heavy load!
Of course, my four year factory warranty is up TODAY on my '04 V8 AWD. The dealer has found nothing three times now. At least I have my (non-GM) extended warranty...no free Caddy loaner, however!
Now that some of you have graciously pointed out what the problem may be, do you have any advice on going to the dealer with an "I told you during the warranty" attitude? I realize I'm covered, but deductable, etc. with the non-factory warranty still racks up the bill a little bit. Many thanks!

JimH3
10-16-07, 07:28 PM
I noticed a bit of a clunking noise and also a few oil drips in the driveway at just over 9,000 miles. Was told it was the strut had blown it's seal. Replacing the strut seems to have solved the problem.

jmayhew
10-17-07, 03:40 PM
wifes SRX had the same problem.... driverside front strut went bad.

you can check to see if its leaking...but depending on the severity you might not notice anything.

so if you go to the dealer...suggest that you think it might be strut to point them in that direction.

The Wrench
10-21-07, 09:28 PM
I have a similar heavy clunk on my new '08. Only noticeable on a rough road, at almost any speed. visited my nephew today, down a country road, and it was really embarassing, the PT Cruiser I sold him and replaced with the new SRX, had a much more solid feel over the little bumps.
I'm gonna try sway bar lube first, GM cars are notorious for noisy bar bushings.
I noticed above, one of the guys got it fixed with an upper control arm!!!! and a sway bar bushing (I traced the part #s).
DG

LMM
10-22-07, 11:21 AM
Hi guys,
This is old problem which many of us encountered since 2004, and as far as I know this problem wasn't resolved, take a look at these posts:
"Clicking sound in suspension" - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/20125-clicking-sound-suspension.html
"Rack & Pinion problem" - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/79565-rack-pinion-problem.html

I still strongly believe that in most cases this problem related to louse steering (possibly R&P).