: 99 to 00+ swap differences

parts68
10-13-07, 10:00 AM
So just curious who has used the 00+ to swap in the 99 and back.
Can just the long block be used from the 00+ to put in a 99 back chassis?
Also how about the newer 320HP or even the big daddy STS-V.

AJxtcman
10-13-07, 11:40 AM
So just curious who has used the 00+ to swap in the 99 and back.
Can just the long block be used from the 00+ to put in a 99 back chassis?
Also how about the newer 320HP or even the big daddy STS-V.

I am not sure if you want to spend the time.
The RWD engine is tooooooooo long.
The 00+ would take some work and the trans may need a wire swapped. The 00 Trans uses a IMS and the 99 uses a range switch. That could be more of a problem.

parts68
10-13-07, 01:28 PM
The trans isnt a problem done that
just looking at options for a motor as
the 93-9s are getting some miles on them

AJxtcman
10-13-07, 06:07 PM
The trans isnt a problem done that
just looking at options for a motor as
the 93-9s are getting some miles on them

The trans are not directly interchangeable.
If you use a 00 engine and PCM you will need to make sure that the trans will work. The PCM will need PKIII also.

parts68
10-13-07, 10:05 PM
You need to change some internals depending on what year
you are replacing with what.
In short all the trannies will interchange with mods.
Looking for solutions on the engines tho.

AJxtcman
10-13-07, 11:25 PM
You need to change some internals depending on what year
you are replacing with what.
In short all the trannies will interchange with mods.
Looking for solutions on the engines tho.

you need to run the 00 to 03 PCM

parts68
10-14-07, 10:02 AM
The 00+ trannys will work in older apps.
Various sensors wiring harness valvebody etc
needs to follow the year of PCM/model year its going into.
What Im looking for is can the 2000+ long block be used in a
pre 00 application?
I believe the crank sensor signal was changed from 99-00.

AJxtcman
10-14-07, 12:19 PM
The 00+ trannys will work in older apps.
Various sensors wiring harness valvebody etc
needs to follow the year of PCM/model year its going into.
What Im looking for is can the 2000+ long block be used in a
pre 00 application?
I believe the crank sensor signal was changed from 99-00.

I own a Fiero with a 99 engine.
I don't like the limitations of the 99 PCM program. It take a lot for me to work out bugs.
I just asked if I could run a 00 PCM on a 99 block and what would it take.
The 99 engine produces more power. I am not talking max HP and TQ, but more at lower. More RPM's per seconds at lower engine RPM's. This is a sign of torque and the ability to make HP.
I have all the information and have read it over several time, but all this tuning stuff is getting to me. I had forgotten the the crank sensors are mounted in the block different.

The cam sensor is a 3 wire in 00+ and the cam sensor trigger on the sprocket is different. You can change this out. I am not 100% sure that the sensor is mounted in the head at the same location.

The cranks are completely different as far as the reluctor wheel goes.
This is for a 99
Reluctor Ring
The reluctor ring is cast onto the crankshaft between the 3 and 4 main journals. The reluctor ring has 24 evenly spaced notches or air gaps and an additional 8 unevenly spaced notches for a total of 32.

As the crankshaft makes one complete revolution, both the A and B sensors will produce 32 ON-OFF pulses per revolution. In addition, the A sensor is positioned 27 degrees of crankshaft revolution before the B sensor. This creates a unique pattern of ON-OFF pulses sent to the ignition control module so that it can recognize crankshaft position.

This is an 00
The PCM uses dual crankshaft position (CKP A and CKP B) sensors to determine crankshaft position. The CKP sensors are mounted in the engine block approximately 21.5 degrees apart from each other. Three wires connect each CKP sensor to the PCM. The PCM supplies an ignition voltage and a ground for each CKP sensor. During engine rotation, a slotted ring, machined into the crankshaft, causes the sensors to return a series of ON and OFF pulses to the PCM. The PCM uses these pulses to decode the position of the engine crankshaft.

As you can see the crank reluctor wheel is not noted. It is cut completely different.

As stated the sensors are 3 wire sensors also.

The 00 to 03 uses two coil cassettes and modules vs one module and 4 coils.

96 and 97 car do not use a Fuel tank pressure sensor, so this could be an issue.

98, 99 Seville's and 00+ Devilles and Sevilles use PK3 VTD, but I could set a PCM up with a VAT's system.

Because of the crank and block changes. The stock PCM and program will not run correctly if it does not match.

On second thoughts I know one way to put a 00+ engine in a 99 and prior car. This would be a direct bolt in and you would need the harness also. I can check for any wire reconfiguring, but it is a direct bolt in.

A 00 to 02 Eldo.

parts68
10-14-07, 04:20 PM
gonna keep us in the dark on this AJ?

AJxtcman
10-14-07, 09:05 PM
I posted it a 00 to 02 Eldo.
They use the old cradle, old body, old harness, old under hood electrical center.