: oil traces around valve cover bolts

catera00
10-12-07, 11:14 PM
ok, my car smells like burnt oil in the engine area. I have had the passenger side valve cover gasket replaced due to a leak about 4 months ago. The drivers side is not leaking into the spark plug shafts. I have noticed recently that there is a greasy oil stain on the top of the pass side valve cover (near the intake plenum) and also around the bolts that hold the valve cover on. I have not added any oil or had oil anywhere near this area so I dont know how it got there. Does this sound like anything familiar to anyone?
Thanks

Cadi Cat
10-13-07, 03:54 AM
well if you do one side you might as well do the other side. And you should have because is sounds like you have oil passing through the bolt threads on the driver side. here's a temporary fix. First clean out the breather system and then loosen and tighten the valve cover bolts. This will stop or slow any oil leak. In that area. This is what I did to mine. Oil was dripping onto the manifold on both sides and whenever I would stop (for instance in a drive-thru) the smoke from the oil would run through the heater system and choke me out. I did this about 3 weeks ago and no more buring oil on the manifold. And I believe it has stopped leaking. Haven't found any new oil leak on the ground.

Cadi Cat
10-13-07, 03:58 AM
oh im sorry, I thought you said you found the greasy bolt on the drivers side. Anyways do what I said and it should at least reduce the leak. My engine doesn't smell like it's burning oil anymore.

frank moran
10-13-07, 09:00 AM
there are O rings that go under the valve cover where the bolts pass through, they may fall off during assembly. All that holds them in place is a dab of oil/grese and slight compression...they fit into the valve cover recess around the bolt hole.

dwheeler
10-13-07, 03:53 PM
There's a thread here about cleaning out the PCV system. Mostly it is that black rectangular plastic piece on top of the intake that gets oily sludge in it and clogs the PCV path. Then the crankcase pressure causes the valve covers to leak so it can relieve the pressure.

catera00
10-20-07, 04:08 AM
thanks guys. I had it in the dealer for a heater problem and they said a couple bolts were loose. Which is great since they just replaced the dang gasket. They tightened it up so I guess we'll see if that fixes it. It doesnt stink any more at least.

jrhartman
11-02-07, 04:51 PM
anyone know the part number for these bolts?

jrhartman
11-05-07, 01:22 PM
anyone know the part number for these bolts?

????