: Wire Wheels on 2005 STS 18's or 20's

srgonzal
10-12-07, 05:49 PM
I have the 2005 STS V6 with ths stock polished 17's with the staggered tires. I am in need of new tires (Those OEM Michellens suck). I'm wanting to put some wire wheels and am leaning towards 18's (not a huge fan of 20's). My concern is loss of performance but more importantly I don't want to ruin my car.

Now I have plenty of experience with wire wheels (13's on my low), both bolt on and knock off style. I would think a direct bolt on wire wheel would be safer than going the knock off route. I know my bolt pattern is 5X115 and I'm pretty sure I would have to get standard wires cause the offset with the reverse style wires would not work (or I could be wrong).

Any advice would be appreciated. What offset should I look for? Should I go direct bolt on? Any other whitewall tires out there in "18 besides vogues?

Thanks in advance

dkozloski
10-12-07, 06:11 PM
Go to www.daytonwirewheels.com. They can answer all your questions.

srgonzal
10-12-07, 06:34 PM
Daytons already closed, was just hoping I could get an answer before Monday. I just needed to know what offset and size would be best. I will probably get some Zeniths instead of Dayton (Zeniths are also stainless, usa made and use a higher grade steel)

Biggest difference is Zeniths don't end up in Rappers lyrics

dkozloski
10-12-07, 07:17 PM
Daytons already closed, was just hoping I could get an answer before Monday. I just needed to know what offset and size would be best. I will probably get some Zeniths instead of Dayton (Zeniths are also stainless, usa made and use a higher grade steel)

Biggest difference is Zeniths don't end up in Rappers lyrics
Pardon me. I had no idea that Dayton wire wheels that are good enough for a $3,500,000 Duesenberg restoration would not be good enough for your hoopty.

Lifer
10-12-07, 10:33 PM
At a way, Blinkity Bear. Insult another member. You are batting 1,000. :thepan:

dkozloski
10-12-07, 11:07 PM
At a way, Blinkity Bear. Insult another member. You are batting 1,000. :thepan:
Tit for tat. He made an insulting remark about my suggestion. He insinuated that classic Dayton wire wheels are somehow associated with rappers. I made a serious suggestion and he made a smartass remark.

z06bigbird
10-13-07, 12:53 AM
Mom, they're making fun of me!!

z06bigbird
10-13-07, 12:54 AM
Pardon me. I had no idea that Dayton wire wheels that are good enough for a $3,500,000 Duesenberg restoration would not be good enough for your hoopty.

Bingo. There it is. I got my wish. Something you do not know.

dkozloski
10-13-07, 01:02 AM
Bingo. There it is. I got my wish. Something you do not know.
I'm also proud to announce that I don't know the first damn thing about pop culture.

Lifer
10-13-07, 01:04 PM
I'm also proud to announce that I don't know the first damn thing about pop culture.

Daggone B Bear, your recent posts show you fail to know much about anything. Having a senior moment, Old Bear? :mad2:

srgonzal
10-13-07, 06:19 PM

Hoopty, sounds like somebody does have some pop culture knowledge. As I stated I was simply looking for an answer Dayton was already closed and not open on the weekend.

I'm sure the standard off the line cross lace Dayton were not part of a 3.5 million dollar resto and custom made.

I have owned plenty of Daytons, Zeniths, Roadstars, Roadsters, and other wire wheels in my day. I just have never purchased them in a larger size and wanted some kind of advice. I would think a true knock off wire wheel would not be as safe as a direct bolt on.

I take no offense, after all its the internets.

thanks anyway

dkozloski
10-13-07, 06:32 PM
Hoopty, sounds like somebody does have some pop culture knowledge. As I stated I was simply looking for an answer Dayton was already closed and not open on the weekend.

I'm sure the standard off the line cross lace Dayton were not part of a 3.5 million dollar resto and custom made.

I have owned plenty of Daytons, Zeniths, Roadstars, Roadsters, and other wire wheels in my day. I just have never purchased them in a larger size and wanted some kind of advice. I would think a true knock off wire wheel would not be as safe as a direct bolt on.

I take no offense, after all its the internets.

thanks anyway
True knockoffs are what are used on most sports racing cars to this day. I've never heard of them being considered "not safe". Watch an F1 race as they make pit stops.
Dayton Wire Wheels made OEM wheels for Lincoln, Duesenberg, Packard, Pierce Arrow, American Rolls-Royce, Ferrari, Jaguar, Maserati and dozens of others. They can supply these same wheels today or restore the originals if you want. Dayton has probably made more wire wheels than all other makes combined.

Highline Cady
10-14-07, 09:35 AM
Wire wheels, on that body style? No offense, but there are so many wheel options why bother with wire wheels or white walls on that particular body style? They would most certainly hurt performance and ride quality. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to attack you, to each his own, but there are allot of sweet looking rims which would be lighter and stronger and may compliment the car better, then again what the hell do I know, I run vogues on my ride, but they are sh** tyres, but they look cool. Good luck, hey post pics if you do go that route I'd be curious to see what they look like on that body style. Thanx.

rb92gt
10-14-07, 06:30 PM
Wait a minute. I thought we all bought these cars because they are in rappers lyrics. Half of the rap songs out there mention 'lacs. This is how I roll.