: Best 60 foots?

WHYTRY
10-11-07, 06:19 PM
I see some nice mods to some of these cars have we ever had a poll to see who hooks the hardest. I would like to know what the best is on here and what kind of mods does it take to hit it. tires, shocks, induction, etc. I love a hard take off without spinning tires. I know it is real hard with the IRS and whell hop but is anyone in the 1.5's or better?

bpitas
10-11-07, 07:02 PM
LOL - mine were terrible. 2.327 on 255/50 KDW2s.

-B

onebadcad
10-11-07, 07:04 PM
I cut a 2.01 on DRs, don't ask me what happened after that, all I can say is that is sounded like a DB 12-gauge going off in the backseat:bonkers:.

Scotty7751
10-11-07, 07:34 PM
yeah 2.2 here with bad wheelhop

Howsitgoing
10-11-07, 08:10 PM
2.1 with no hop on RSAs at 28 PSI.

StealthV
10-11-07, 09:52 PM
anyone in the 1.5's or better?

You can't be cereal?

http://www.morethings.com/fan/south_park/photo_gallery/al-gore-is-manbearpig.jpg

SkullV
10-11-07, 10:06 PM
You can't be cereal?

http://www.morethings.com/fan/south_park/photo_gallery/al-gore-is-manbearpig.jpg

I's SUPER cereal!!! I saw a ManBearPig!!!

stkshkr
10-12-07, 12:20 AM

911ss
10-12-07, 12:35 AM
i ran a 2.1 with a 13.5 1/4 tonight. it will be lower ver soon my friend;)

WHYTRY
10-12-07, 10:39 AM
see 1.5 is not out of our league I was hittin 1.54 at a 11.29et but not in a caddie. It's great feels like a bag of bricks hitting you in the chest when you take off. What is breaking our rears? I haven't done it yet so I do not know. Please don't answer wheel hop or it is not a drag car i'm looking for a better answer. What is the design flaw? In the IRS cobras it was wheel hop that shook the back diff cover so bad it would snap out the rear cradle which in turn would drop down the rear pumpkin putting a bad angle on the axles (breaking both) and then the driveshaft (makin a 4" driveshaft look like licorice). What is going on when these IRS's fail?

trukk
10-12-07, 10:39 AM
LOL - mine were terrible. 2.327 on 255/50 KDW2s.

-B

Heh, I see your 2.3, and show you my identical 2.3. This was on nearly bald gsd3 275/40's in the back on a 'balmy' december day last December.

I'm glad I tried it. Never done it before. I won't be taking my car back to the drags anytime soon. It's obvious I suck @ it, but I have no real want or wish to improve. Back to the twisties for me :D

-Chris

fredcook
10-12-07, 11:18 AM
...Back to the twisties for me :D

-Chris

As the car was designed for...

bpitas
10-12-07, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I'll probably go back after I do the washer fix just to see if it makes a measurable difference, but as long as I have a good idea how to launch off a light now, that's all I really wanted. :-)
BTW - there was a good video posted on here a while back to show the actual wheel hop happening. It's worth watching just to understand why the car launches so badly. :banghead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1SSIGSTPBo

trukk
10-12-07, 11:35 AM
As the car was designed for...

Yup Yup :D

Also on the beat the sh!t out of your car scale, I'd have to say:

#1: Drags
#2: Autocross
#3: Road Course

I felt guilty after making a few runs down the 1/4 mile. My car was like "neglect me, beat me, just don't take me down that 1/4 mile again". It is SOO harsh on the dirveline.

-Chris

WHYTRY
10-12-07, 11:53 AM
I agree mine tells me "please, please stop launching me" Translation from big bang from the rear of the car

bpitas
10-12-07, 12:07 PM
It's all relative...
If the driveline is designed right (I'm not talking specifically for dragging or road racing, just designing it not to break!) then it should be fine with any of those things. I shift my car at the track with the clutch to the floor on every shift and I back off the gas, which is exactly the same way I shift on a road course, so the only thing you're getting at the drag strip that's worse than the drag strip is the initial launch. (which is admittedly alot more violent than any other application of power)

You can say road racing is easier on the driveline (engine, tranny, diff), but it's *much* harder on OTHER parts of the car like the brakes, wheel bearings, bushings, shocks, and tires.

My Cobra had no problems at all at the drag strip, but a bunch of us had heat-related brake-line failures at a summer session at NHIS. The front brakes of the Cobra were PBR designs, which are fine, but Ford saved a few bucks by putting cheaper lines on the brakes. Bad compromise from my perspective, and I was one of the lucky ones who had my brakes to go to the floor at turn 2a, which is where you dive into the south chicane, so I had plenty of run-off by splitting the cones and going around the oval. Our chief instructor wasn't so lucky and stuffed his car into the wall at turn 3 and totalled it.

My C5 had no problem with either of those - you could run it down the strip all day or do endless laps around the road course and it was perfectly fine. In '97 the C5 was held by many as one of the best designs to come out of the US in a long time!

I guess you *could* say that some cars are "designed" for the drag strip (any live-axle cars, and ones that only come with automatics, which are better at bracket racing) and others are "designed" for road racing (bigger brakes, stiffer suspension, etc) but I personally don't see why any given car shouldn't be able to do *both*. I mean - how much harder would it have been for Cadillac to put some stiffer bushings in the cradle from the start, and maybe put some dynamat in the trunk over the diff instead of putting squishy crap bushings in there?

-B

StealthV
10-12-07, 10:17 PM
see 1.5 is not out of our league

Stkshkr's V is far from stock and I'll be as bold to say out of your leauge. I'm super cereal!

Flyboy
10-13-07, 10:03 AM
1.95 on the run shown in my signature.