: STS 2005 AWD 30,000 Miles

FCBank
10-11-07, 10:45 AM
Please tell me if anyone has had the following problem:

2 days prior to engine shutdown, low water warning/low oil warning/1 lb aire pressure warning in LF then engine woudl start, go forward 50 ft and shut down. Car had to be towed. Dealer diagnosed clogged catalytic convertor. Car in shop for 1 week waiting on parts.

Anyone familiar with this problem?

Thanks

Jack:banghead:

dkozloski
10-11-07, 03:18 PM
It sounds to me like basic maintenance has been totally ignored. It needs some coolant, some oil, and some air. A jackass wouldn't put up with treatment like that either.

malcolm
10-11-07, 08:27 PM
I had clogged catalytic convertor problems in an 82 Olds and it definately stops the engine a common problem at that time but I have not heard of it in recent years.

dkozloski
10-11-07, 08:31 PM
It would require severe misfires over an extended period of time and/or foul fuel to plug a catalytic convertor.

z06bigbird
10-11-07, 09:56 PM
Did car show a code for convertor?

Those things have become enormously expensive since the shortage of various metals.

dkozloski
10-11-07, 10:23 PM
Did car show a code for convertor?

Those things have become enormously expensive since the shortage of various metals.
There's less than $50 worth of rare metals in a catalytic convertor. The stuff is applied to the innards in an extremely thin layer.

Maximln
10-11-07, 11:46 PM
I just had to have my catalytic converter replaced on my car. It didn't stall or anything but the check engine light kept coming on intermittently. I took it and they said the cat was faulty and had to be replaced.

Max

dkozloski
10-12-07, 12:34 AM
Misfiring cylinders will cause a CAT convertor to burn up. Leaded fuels and worthless additives will poison the catalyst.