: condensation?

Boombottz
10-10-07, 11:02 PM
Has anyone noticed any moisture or condensation around the inside of the tail light lenses after a rain or car wash?

dkozloski
10-10-07, 11:15 PM
There is a factory TSB on the subject.

Boombottz
10-10-07, 11:26 PM
Aha! Wonder if factory warranty will cover it?

z06bigbird
10-10-07, 11:47 PM
Aha! Wonder if factory warranty will cover it?

If not, you could easily take some soft sealant (like permatex #?). Remove light fixture. Put sealant around bolt holes and bolts. Look for cracks in housing. Apply soft or hard sealant. Re-install.

Boombottz
10-10-07, 11:54 PM
My bet is a bad factory seal. I have to upgrade OnStar to digital so I will have them address this issue as well when I go in. I was hoping to hear of a TSB as Binky stated and wondered if anyone else has had a similar prob.

Boombottz
10-11-07, 10:01 AM
There is a factory TSB on the subject.
Binky do you have access to that TSB? My dealer found one for the headlights, but not one for the rear.
Thnx.

Caroutisine
10-11-07, 11:53 AM
It should not do that. If washing the car gets condensation to form inside the tail light you should not need a TSB to have the dealer repair this problem under warranty. Ask them to wash the car and let it sit for a few hours.

Boombottz
10-11-07, 01:55 PM
Agreed!

Drought all summer, buy a new car...rain past two days, go figure. But I guess I should be glad, otherwise I may not have noticed.

dkozloski
10-11-07, 02:28 PM
Binky do you have access to that TSB? My dealer found one for the headlights, but not one for the rear.
Thnx.
I'm just quoting what I remember reading when the TSBs were on Reeds site. There was one that covered all the lights and had criteria for deciding if any should be changed. Maybe it got superceded. It might have been a CTS TSB because that was what I was focusing on at the time. There was stuff about how much of the lens was fogged and the size of the water droplets.

dkozloski
10-11-07, 02:30 PM
The TSB suggested that the consensation should clear when the weather dries up and the lights are on to get some heat into them.

Boombottz
10-11-07, 02:43 PM
That's what dealer service stated verbatim concerning the STS headlight TSB. I'll find out next Monday how it will be handled. No matter the outcome, I find this an unacceptable manufacturing defect on such a high priced "world class" automobile. This is a typical GM quality issue I am quite familiar with on previously owned Chevys, maybe I just expect too much from the General.

malcolm
10-11-07, 03:11 PM
Cheese us H Kriste, reminds me of the old Seville. Whoever is making tail lights needs a lesson in how to do it. This has been a problem since the 90s.

Boombottz
10-15-07, 12:28 PM
UPDATE: Just returned from Heritage/Mile One..Dealer states "unless there is standing water inside the unit, they can't do anything":banghead:

There are currently no visual defects from this(the lamp units look new in and out), and since it is a 2005 I guess I'll have to live with it. I suppose I am just too anal?! Especially after reading about the TSB for the Headlights....of which I currently do not have a problem.

dkozloski
10-15-07, 02:09 PM
Remove the bulbs and blow in the hole with a hair drier. If you can find a source of dry compressed air it might be a little quicker.

Boombottz
10-15-07, 04:25 PM
There is no real need for that, they dry on their own(the infiltration is mimimal around the edges, with maybe a few drops forming and running down inside). I was just concerned on long term damage if the condition worsens. At the current rate they will be fine for some time to come...or at least 'til the warranty expires, which will be the most likely. This new "expected life" technology really limits much for certain parts under warranty.

I guess my biggest beef is with the "General"... telling me that this acceptable.

Jesda
10-15-07, 11:02 PM
You should pour a glass of water in there and make them fix it.

Boombottz
10-16-07, 09:40 AM
If I were going to go that far, I'll fill them with beer, add a tap and go tail-gating.:alchi: