: Maybe UUC can help us out? Solid cradle bushings

STAGEUP
10-10-07, 09:32 PM
Okay, I've heard of the GM poly cradle inserts, and the Specterwerks cradles bushing inserts as well.

Well, why hasn't someone made a FULL solid poly cradle mount? Meaning, you cut out the factory crap cradle bushing, and totally replace it with a poly unit. I can draw up what I got in my mind tonight to make things more clear of what Im thinking of.

Maybe UUC can help us out with this?

StealthV
10-10-07, 09:57 PM
Because everyone would whine about how much noise their diff makes.

Wait, they already do.

STAGEUP
10-11-07, 12:01 AM
I currently have the BMR anti wheelhop kit. Its does a great job of eliminating most of my wheelhop. BUT!!! I don't like that it changes the pinion angle, thus creating noise. My diff is dead quiet without the anti wheelhop kit, but with it, it creates a slight whine. This means the diff likes to stay in its original angle.

If whe had full solid poly cradle mounts, Im sure it would eliminate the cradle flexing that causes the wheelhop, and we would still be at the correct pinion angle, thus keeping the diff happy and quiet.

StealthV
10-11-07, 12:49 AM
And it would be noisy...

trukk
10-11-07, 12:32 PM
NOISE BE DAMNED! I'd be first in line for this.

My rear is pretty loud now, with the KARSIII. I'm out of warrantly, and will take noise vs. 4k for a new rear diff + install.

-Chris

Rey
10-11-07, 12:35 PM
I had the BMR kit, and it was fairly quiet. My wife did not notice the change. The BMR kit uses steel bushings for a solid mount. Obviously, any driveline noise will better transmit through solid steel bushings.
In my opinion, driveline noise is not created by a slightly different "pinion angle". The U-joint is designed to compenstate for slight angle changes. I think the noise heard is just the simply the sound of the ring and pinion gears, which are much louder in gear ratios lower than say 3.4.
But don't take my word for it - talk to the folks at BMR and Specter.

StealthV
10-11-07, 09:45 PM
The V doesn't have any u-joints in the driveshaft. Noise with solid bushings would come both from gear noise and suspension impacts being transferred directly into the cabin - NVH. There's a reason the cradle wasn't welded to the main chassis from the factory....

StealthV
10-11-07, 09:46 PM
Skip waiting for solid bushings, just weld the cradle to the chassis.

The Tony Show
10-11-07, 09:52 PM
Rick's feisty lately. :thumbsup:

StealthV
10-11-07, 11:13 PM
About 10 minutes with a welder - done. Plenty of time for a pop tart.

STAGEUP
10-11-07, 11:48 PM
LOL!!!

Go easy on me!! lol

trukk
10-12-07, 10:36 AM
Skip waiting for solid bushings, just weld the cradle to the chassis.

Heh, there's a big difference between some 'more solid' poly bushings vs hard mounting the sucker.

Go stick your head in the freezer, and pretend your snowmobiling for christsakes. Then eat yer pop-tart.

-Chris

Nels
10-12-07, 11:25 AM
I don't want to step on anyone’s toes but is there any one making solid cradle/diff bushing?

Now that the race season is over I was planning on developing poly/aluminum bushing for the rear of the CTS.

I'm currently starting a small operation for performance product development. I don't mine joining forces with an existing company to complete the project if they have started it. I just wanted so see if there is any interest as well a market for performance development. Any input would be great.

Nels

trukk
10-12-07, 11:43 AM
I don't want to step on anyone’s toes but is there any one making solid cradle/diff bushing?

Now that the race season is over I was planning on developing poly/aluminum bushing for the rear of the CTS.

I'm currently starting a small operation for performance product development. I don't mine joining forces with an existing company to complete the project if they have started it. I just wanted so see if there is any interest as well a market for performance development. Any input would be great.

Nels

Nels,

No one makes any that I'm aware of right now.

Both Lingenfelter and Spectre Werks both make poly slip in stabilizing bushing supports, which slip in above and below the OEM rubber bushing to help keep it tight, and prevent less wind up of the rubber cr@p. GM also has some TSB bsuhings that it can install that emulate the Lingenfleter/SW bushings, but they are inadequate, and squeek like a mouse with it's nuts in a vice (ask me how I know...about the bushings not the mice).

It is my understanding that UUC is currently finishing up the testing of some poly engine mounts for the CTS-V. Lindsay Cadillac has been coordinating that for our community, as they are the sole distributor for the UUC line of cadillac performance parts. it is also my understanding that they have the intention of building a poly tranmission mount, and perhaps a poly insert for the differntial carrier bushing. I'm not sure if they were looking at the actuall cradle bushings or not.

It might be work getting with Luke at Lindsay to inquire.

I'm all for doing anything to lessen the slop in the rear of the car. Noise be damned. I'm just sick of all that rubber EVERYWHERE.

Please keep the community involved with your progress and plans.

-Chris

Nels
10-12-07, 11:54 AM
Thanks Chris. I had made poly engine mounts for my CTS about 3 years are. Yea it's a 3.2L but it's a SC 3.2L.

The CTSV mounts are a little shorter they the 3.2L. I could make them but there is no sense on making something that someone has begun IMO.

I have all the capabilities but I'm tiring to generate interest, any ideas?

Web Site coming soon!

Nels

trukk
10-12-07, 12:50 PM
Thanks Chris. I had made poly engine mounts for my CTS about 3 years are. Yea it's a 3.2L but it's a SC 3.2L.

The CTSV mounts are a little shorter they the 3.2L. I could make them but there is no sense on making something that someone has begun IMO.

I have all the capabilities but I'm tiring to generate interest, any ideas?

Web Site coming soon!

Nels

There were a bunch of sugestions quoted in this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/114164-what-can-improved-your-car.html

Some were good sugestions some were more in the 'wish oriented' category.

Dunno if the rubber connection in the 2 peice drive shaft could be replaced with something stiffer, without some major re-engineering. That might be something to consider.

-Chris