: 2004 SRX AWD Brake rotors replace

BklynSRX
10-10-07, 03:22 AM
Hello..just need to know is it a job to replace the rotors on a 04 SRX AWD any special tools or any thing i should know.>>????.... Plus to add to the mix i would like to go sloted & drilled, as I am in Arizona, And When it gets Hot here You cant get Ice tea !! Thanks.:yup:

sgilbert
10-10-07, 11:21 AM
Standard disc brake setup--nothing exotic.

Check out TireRack.com for slotted & drilled.

"I am in Arizona, And When it gets Hot here You cant get Ice tea !!" Not even Arizona Iced Tea? Bummer!

BklynSRX
10-19-07, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the feedback Gil>>>

ralewis2
08-17-11, 07:24 PM
Gil,
After you remove the caliper on an SRX, how do you remove the pad holder bracket? Once the pad holder bracket is removed, does the rotor just pull off the lug nuts?

RLews2

SFVetteman
08-17-11, 11:49 PM
I havenít looked on my SRX but on Vette the caliper bracket bolts to the spindle. The proper torque when reinstalling it is essential. On my Vette it was 150 ft/lbs, your SRX is probably different. The rotor slips onto the hub just like the wheel though it may need to be tapped with a rubber mallet to free it.

One thing to consider with brake rotors is that they operate at temperatures several hundred degrees hotter than you find in Arizona or anywhere else. A high ambient air temp will have no effect on their operation. Repeated heavy use of the brakes, such as can be the case when racing on a road course can contribute to brake fade because it gets harder to dissipate the heat. By the way, Formula 1 cars that use ceramic rotors need a temp of over 1000 degrees to work properly are affected by cold and rainy weather because it inhibits their ability to get up to temp

When it comes to rotor cooling, the critical factor is sufficient mass to dissipate the heat. Drilled/slotted rotors reduce the mass of the rotor and while it was once thought that it would help cooling, the minimal effect coupled with the reduced mass proved to be of no help and contributed excessive runout and pulsating brake pedals. The myth of the benefits has stubbornly help on, I believe, because they look cool.

Hell, I run larger diameter 2 piece drilled rotors on my Vette even on the road course when I go club racing. If I ran in the group that takes it so seriously that you would think there is a $5000 prize to the winner, Iíd use larger diameter smooth rotors as many of them do.

So if you are doing it strictly for cooling benefits then save your time and money. But if you believe as I do that at least some bling is good for the soul then by all means do it.

:cheers:
Bill

conedoctor
08-18-11, 02:42 AM
They are to vent the gas that builds up between the face of the rotor and the pad, the gas stops the contact of the pad and rotor so the slots, holes or dimples let it escape.

Drilled and slotted rotors will not make you stop faster, but yes they do look cool :)

Get good pads and save the money on rotors IMO