: Help the new guy make a good decision

ghunter38@comcast.ne
10-10-07, 01:04 AM
Looking at the typical old lady driven one owner 95 STS. .It will probably cost me $2700? 219k miles. Her son tells me she has a small book if service records and and all work has been done buy the dealer. Sounds good right?
What should I be looking for specificly in this car. If you guys could give some pionters I would be I would appreciate it. Wife likes the car but I'm afraid Of the $$ to repair if needed. Just looking to avoid any obvous problems and making a good buy. She shure would look good in it though.
Thanks in advance.
Greg:worship::highfive:

fubar569
10-10-07, 01:37 AM
look specifically at oil change intervals, coolant changes, and transmission fluid changes...

that car should go by the OLM, with a MAX change interval of 7,500 miles if i recall correctly...

coolant is the green so i believe flush & fill every 2yr? / 30k miles?

transmission should have been done once around 100k and again around 200k at a minimum...

i'd also look at obvious major things...suspension, brakes, etc...is it smoking? what color? etc...

if it's in good shape i don't see why you wouldnt buy it...though i paid 7500 for my 97 deville with only 69k miles on it...and that few grand would make a nice down payment on a newer one (99+) if you were so inclined...

dkozloski
10-10-07, 10:29 AM
Keep in mind that you are going to be servicing and buying parts for a $60,000 car and not a $2700 car. In my opinion, if you aren't prepared to just walk away from it when it developes major trouble you need to move on to something else. At 219K miles the goody is pretty much sucked out of it and anything could happen. It could be a very nice ride for a while but it might all terminate quickly in a screeching halt.

misfit6794
10-10-07, 11:35 AM
219K miles is ALOT, even if the car is only 2700. I would look carefully through the maintainence records if you are really considering buying this car, see whats been replaced, and look at how much it cost. Nothing is cheap to fix on a caddy, Im guessing at 219k alot needs to be replaced. You can get a car with much lower mileage for only a little bit more.

coolbeans
10-12-07, 01:17 PM
What dkozloski said....also, my friend pd $7500 for a '01 STS with 190k, he laughed at me for paying 18k for my '04 DeVille with 18k on it...$4,000 bucks later, he is'nt laughing much at all these days. You never know, it could be a great car, it sounds like a good one to me.

limoguy
10-26-07, 03:31 PM
Well...I bought a 98 deville northstar with 120k on it for $3k. I just looked at the obvious, fluids, maintenance records, tire wear, any codes showing, seat condition. I drove it around checking for front end noise, any strange tranny noise, I made sure the A/C works, heat. Im not a mechanic but I look for any strange noises. So far, im very happy with the car, loaded with power, rides great. I put almost 8k miles on my car a month.(used for limo service). Any time you buy used theres always going to be some issues, may be minor. Even new cars have issues, only difference is the warrenty. Anyway, good luck.