: SRX Cargo / Pet Barrier Review

c5 rv
10-09-07, 08:03 PM
GM Accessory part number 12498786 - partition. Price was $140 at my dealer. I've seen prices of $118 plus shipping online. Installation was fairly easy, once I figured out how to install the top posts and stretch it between the lower loops. Some good points about it:

- It uses attachment points on the SRX rather than expanding posts between the roof and floor that can loosen and let a solid barrier fall.

- I can see through the screen mesh or, if not carrying the dog, easily drop the barrier to the floor. By just dropping it, I won't have to stretch it between the side loops again.

- It keeps the dog back there - so far. She probes the sides with her nose, but I don't there's enough room for her to get past it or get hung up in it.

- Dog hair doesn't seem to stick to it much.

Some pics. Sorry, forgot to include the dog.

sp2060
10-10-07, 12:37 AM
c5 rv,

Thanks very much for finding this item and providing an assessment with pictures. I sometimes use the SRX (instead of the F150) to transport my two medium large (~100lb) black and tan coonhounds and had trouble keeping them and their drool off the back seats. Looks like this will work well. Two observations...(1) visibility through the mesh is not too big a deal if most of the rear view largely is obscured by dog bodies anyway, and (2) the rear AC has been an unexpectedly significant benefit when the dogs are in the car.

Again, thanks for the information.

c5 rv
10-10-07, 12:55 AM
... the rear AC has been an unexpectedly significant benefit when the dogs are in the car...

Good point. I don't have rear air and I noticed that the dog didn't have any airflow last Saturday when it was quite hot. I don't think the dog minded, except for not having an open window to sniff the passing scents.

I transported my previous dog in the backseat area of a fullsize extended cab GMC pickup. I'd folk up the seat, pop open the tilt-out windows, and the lab was happy sniffing and snorting as we went down the road. I think I'm going to have to get another truck or similar vehicle.

frogblender
12-12-07, 10:34 AM
Do you think this partition is strong enough to hold a piece of cargo (something heavy, like a suitcase or beer cooler) during a crash?

I see lots of volvo station wagons around which have a steel grate partition, which looks pretty strong. I asked our local GM parts guy, and GM only offers the mesh partition.

The reason I'm asking is I have rear-facing infant seat in the back seat, and, in the event of a crash, rollover, or even a sudden stop, a cargo-infant disaster is *easily* forseeable.

c5 rv
12-12-07, 08:09 PM
The GM barrier says it is designed to restrain a total of 100 lbs. of cargo in a 35 MPH front end collision.

frogblender
12-12-07, 08:59 PM
Thanks c5 rv.... I wish GM had told me that when I asked them about it.

GM also says this partition is made of "stretchy" material.... is it stretchy? If so, do you think it'd stretch enough during a crash so as to intrude into the passenger space where an infant seat would be?

MortnCyn
12-13-07, 06:28 AM

GM also says this partition is made of "stretchy" material.... is it stretchy? If so, do you think it'd stretch enough during a crash so as to intrude into the passenger space where an infant seat would be? No doubt it would depend on speed and the type of accident. The dynamics dealing with matter, energy, motion, and force in an accident do some weird things.
An UNBELTED police officer westbound hit on right front by speeding south bound car. His body continued westbound while the squad headed south. The officer's body wound up against the roof of the car above the cage (that you can barely get a pack of cigarettes over) with his head near the rear window. Would the partition hold? Depends.

c5 rv
12-13-07, 09:59 AM

GM also says this partition is made of "stretchy" material.... is it stretchy? If so, do you think it'd stretch enough during a crash so as to intrude into the passenger space where an infant seat would be?

It is somewhat stretchy. It took some wrestling with it to get it secured at all 4 corners.

A child in a rear-facing infant seat would also be protected by the seatback. Something heavy and low in the cargo area would be restrained by both the barrier and the seatback. However, I could imagine something getting launched higher and ripping through the mesh into the rear seat area. It may sail over the infant seat and cause injury to front seat passengers.

One of the nice things about the GM barrier is that it uses stock anchors: the side D-rings at the bottom corners and the slots under the plastic covers at the top corners. The metal tangs at the upper corners of the barrier reach way into the car to secure to metal receivers. Aftermarket barriers usually rely on some type of expanding pole to wedge the barrier between the sides and/or top and floor. A couple owners of this type of barrier have told me that they tend to come loose, either by vibration or a pet leaning against it, and fall over while moving. One owner said that for her it isn't a real problem because when the barrier falls over, the pet gets scared and won't move from the very back of the car. :bonkers:

frogblender
12-13-07, 11:04 AM
Yes, I've also read about barriers using friction via expanding poles, and how they often fall out; To me, these are *complete* crap as far as cargo safety goes. In fact, they're worse than useless since a) they give a false sense of security, and b) during a crash, they are likely to fall out (especially during a rollover, as the car's roof deforms) and become projectiles themselves.

I will probably buy GM's mesh partition, but I'm highly skeptical. Being a handy guy, I might also take a try at cooking up a proper steel partition myself - if I do, I'll report back here.

IMHO GM should be ashamed of themselves for not offering a proper solution to such an easily-forseeable mechanism of injury. Volvo offers it; why not GM? :duck:

GMJim
12-13-07, 12:12 PM
It's a frickn' dog keeper inner. official name: Interior Cargo Partition

Partition:
That which divides or separates; that by which different things, or distinct parts of the same thing, are separated; separating boundary; dividing line or space.

Barrier:
1 a: something material that blocks or is intended to block passage
b: a natural formation or structure that prevents or hinders movement or action
c: something immaterial that impedes or separates

There is nothing in the product description claiming it to be a barrier
I will turn in a suggestion changing the name to puppy shade. Then your expectations won't be quite so high.

I use chicken wire..............Volvo has nothing on me.

The only thing i'm ashamed of is wasting the time to write this.

frogblender
12-13-07, 12:50 PM
Using your definition of the word "partition", this DKI (dog-keeper-inner, as you say) will NOT necessarily "divide or separate" a 101lb suitcase @ 36mph from the passenger compartment. GM is calling it a "partition", but it fails your definition of "partition".

Symantics aside, what I want is for me and my family to not risk beheading by suitcase when using a GM vehicle. This is NOT a high expectation. But GM can't deliver, and Volvo can.

GMJim
12-13-07, 01:45 PM
The partition is not intended to be a barrier. You make it sound like GM & the SRX are the only offenders. I think every brand, of every SUV/Van globally, is as guilty of not meeting your flying suitcase requirements. All a person has to do is tie down their cargo, and secure it with cargo hooks, instead of installing a plastic screen with high expectations of what you would want it to do, not what it was designed to do.

Solutions:
Tie down your luggage with rope and cargo tie down hooks
Tow a trailer for your luggage
Put your luggage on the luggage rack
By a Volvo with a trunk

conedoctor
12-13-07, 01:57 PM
Same can be said for a car, if it is not secure in the trunk and you have a hard crash the heavy items are coming through the rear seats. It was on a Top gear episode, Youtube it

frogblender
12-13-07, 02:39 PM
Jim... I am very sure you are correct in that GM is not the only offender; I've only bothered to investigate SRX and volvos. But being an offender in a sea of offenders is no excuse.

Of your 4 solutions, 3 out of 4 are unsafe:

Tie down your luggage with rope and cargo tie down hooks:
-- how do you reliably tie down bags of groceries? or a case of beer? or a patio stone? In a rollover, everything gets shaken more than a James Bond martini - your cargo will slip out of its tiedowns, unless you've completely encased all cargo in some kind of grand-banks industrial fishing net.

Tow a trailer for your luggage.
-- towing a trailer is hugely dangerous compared to not towing one. And a trailer kills your fuel economy. And you can't park it. And it gets rained on, snowed on, your stuff gets stolen from it, and sometimes passersby throw their garbage and bags of dogpoop into it.

Put your luggage on the luggage rack
-- this is even worse: putting 300lbs on the roof *greatly* increases your risk of rollover. And kills your fuel economy.

By a Volvo with a trunk
-- that'll work.

I'm just looking for a simple, effective, no-hassle solution to the problem. And to me, that solution seems to be a simple steel gate.

GMJim
12-13-07, 05:38 PM
So I guess you didn't care for the chicken wire idea either : - (
As always, I take stabs to my company personally. I hope everyone
would stand up for their company.
I guess the solution is no solution currently, since the DKI (dog keeper inner) is all we have.
I guess I never put too much thought to it.
If i thought about all the "what ifs" to driving, I probally would
be too scared to drive at all. You will probally see me on the news............
SRX driver impaled by 3 though pitching wedge in roll over accident.
I hope you find a solution, and not in a Volvo.

TSS
12-14-07, 08:40 AM
Hate to admit it, but Jim is sorta right on this one even though he seems to have been hitting the nog early this year.

I have often thought about what could fly around in a crash in any vehicle. My SLS for instance: long Snow brush/scraper (ie. spear). Son's booster seat (no, I don't belt the seat in when he is not in it). When I look in other's messy filled cars, it is even worse!

I simply try to put as much as feasible in the trunk. Or in my Lade, I put in a cargo net to minimize stuff flying around. Would it work in a 50 mph rear ending or a roll over? Lets hope I never need to find out.

GMJim
12-14-07, 08:50 AM
Hate to admit it, but Jim is sorta right on this one even though he seems to have been hitting the nog early this year.

Hick...........whatchu talkn' bout?!?!?!?!..................hick

nuther round for Todd, and them elfs................hick

Tiger
12-16-07, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the post! :yup:

Hadn't seen this option available on the SRX. My pooch will be so pleased. :D

FWIW, I rented an Audi Q7 for a week and it features the same type of mesh screen for the partition. There must be a reason. :hide: AT least you'd never get hit in the back of the head by the partition.

Anyhooo, I didn't care for the Audi Q7 (none of us did) so the SRX is back on the top of the list! :lildevil:

GMJim
12-16-07, 07:42 AM
the SRX is back on the top of the list! :lildevil:

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!

robhersch
12-16-07, 09:38 PM
Using your definition of the word "partition", this DKI (dog-keeper-inner, as you say) will NOT necessarily "divide or separate" a 101lb suitcase @ 36mph from the passenger compartment. GM is calling it a "partition", but it fails your definition of "partition".

Symantics aside, what I want is for me and my family to not risk beheading by suitcase when using a GM vehicle. This is NOT a high expectation. But GM can't deliver, and Volvo can.

Seems to me that the size of a 101lb suitcase would be too large to fly/ fit above the seat head rests in my SRX although one could assume that the sc would not only break the head rest but also the whole seat back, etc and crush the front passengers. Do you have any data on such a case ever occurring in a SRX??
Guess that I would likely tie mine down or strap it into one of the seat belts - if I ever had a 101lb suitcase - or better yet ship it express.

Sounds like you probably do not have an SRX or any GM vehicle; but enjoy your volvo anyhow. By the way which volvo model comes wth a simple steel gate?? and is it optional or standard equipment?? and where does it get anchored?? I would be worried that if I had to stop so violently that the simple steel gate might be the most dangerous object flying around inside the vehicle although my plumber does have such a custom gate/ barrier in his ford van.
Good luck with whatever you choose, but we love our SRX!!!

conedoctor
12-16-07, 10:17 PM
Holy crap people stop acting like kids, man this is petty.

If it is such a big deal get one of these, I am going to get the net and call it a day. A simple tie down for our stroller is good and I just don't load heavy things in the back, I use the truck cause thats what it is for. If you have only the one car and it is an SRX then you just should not carry heavy things that could kill people, the net will handle the rest no problem I guess it comes down to just not being stupid.

Sorry rant off, I like my newly gotten SRX but I undertand what it is and what it can do "it is what it is"

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?No=0&storeId=6970&N=771593%20765241

TSS
12-17-07, 09:19 AM
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?No=0&storeId=6970&N=771593%20765241

I can vouch for Northern being a good company. Quality stuff.

GMJim
12-17-07, 12:32 PM
hear hear to Northern..........
nudder round, hick, for Todd, Conehead, and northern....hick

eds3
12-17-09, 09:26 PM
Crap.

TSS
12-18-09, 08:47 AM
Crap.

Or....dog is smarter than you think. :highfive:

GMJim
12-18-09, 12:02 PM
too funny.................good doggy!!!!!

c5 rv
12-18-09, 07:17 PM
I will probably buy GM's mesh partition, but I'm highly skeptical.

I still have the mesh partition available for sale. $30 + about $15 for shipping.

http://www.cadillacforums.com:80/cadillac-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=5560

Infrared in Idaho
12-23-09, 04:46 AM
This is funny. That's why I like this forum. If the GM Partion isn't to your liking, you can always get a sheet of plywood custom fitted with holes drilled in for ventalation. LoL.