: Front Plate Be Gone!

Jon
10-09-07, 07:14 PM
Well, luckily, whoever put the bracket on my car used screws instead of rivets. Sooo...

I finally took the front plate off.

I used some plugs to plug up the 4 holes, but it didn't look good on the 2 bottom ones.. So I just plugged up the top ones and left the bottoms.

It's a temporary fix. Next spring I'll have the bodyshop fill it up and repaint the whole bumper (it's been blasted by highway driving :( )

http://www.jon04ctsv.com/images/IMG_1215.jpg
http://www.jon04ctsv.com/images/IMG_1216.jpg

And how it looked with 4 plugs.
http://www.jon04ctsv.com/images/IMG_1210.jpg

rand49er
10-09-07, 09:20 PM
... it's been blasted by highway driving ...Jon, you need a clear bra put on after you get that bumper done. :thumbsup:

BTW, your car looks much better/cleaner/nicer without that front plate.

Jon
10-09-07, 09:26 PM
Jon, you need a clear bra put on after you get that bumper done. :thumbsup:

BTW, your car looks much better/cleaner/nicer without that front plate.
I'm considering that... I dunno how it'd look though. I've seen the clear bras on hoods, and the line to me is too noticeable.

I don't drive my car enough to sand blast the bumper. It was done by the previous owner. It's only about $350 to sand, prime, and paint the bumper. (That's how much we paid to paint the V bumper on the CTS.)

I'd rather do it every 2 years than live with a noticeable clear bra.

And thanks. :) I can't believe it took me this long to do.

z06bigbird
10-09-07, 09:26 PM
If 2 holes, put some little blue neon or lcd lights there; pretend you are from Calif.

If 4 holes, try a Christmas ornament.

Time for me to shut up and get off of here.

Jon
10-09-07, 09:34 PM
If 2 holes, put some little blue neon or lcd lights there; pretend you are from Calif.

If 4 holes, try a Christmas ornament.

Time for me to shut up and get off of here.
I was actually thinking about sticking a chrome valve stem there.... Bling bling!

thefred
10-09-07, 10:00 PM
I was actually thinking about sticking a chrome valve stem there.... Bling bling!
Nope. Throw some curb feelers in there....

CTSV_Rob
10-10-07, 12:25 AM
Pretend your from texas and throw on a Steer horn...

http://www.judturner.com/hood_gal/jphood.jpg[/url]

Couldn't find a pic of a cadillac but I'm sure there is one out there!

StealthViggen
10-10-07, 12:54 PM
Careful Jon. I went 4 monthes without it, then got pinched by Po Po for $105. Twas a sad day when I had to mount the plate up( me no likies drilling holes in bumper) The front end of the V looks much better without, but makes it a magnet for cops.

Jon
10-10-07, 02:21 PM
Careful Jon. I went 4 monthes without it, then got pinched by Po Po for $105. Twas a sad day when I had to mount the plate up( me no likies drilling holes in bumper) The front end of the V looks much better without, but makes it a magnet for cops.
Hey buddy!

Haven't heard from you in a while.

I'd be ok with paying $105 a month to keep my front bumper looking clean. There's no way they can ticket me 12 times a year though, haha. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Did you hear we have an Ontario club now? :D

Civardi
10-10-07, 02:36 PM
Here are the state rules for front plates.

http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/usa/US_XLPR.html

CTSV_Rob
10-10-07, 06:06 PM
In California it's a fix it ticket so when I get tagged I will throw one on but I refuse to drill holes. It is going to be one fancy braket that will go through the 2 grills. Couple of nice peices of machined anodized aluminum should do it and maybe I will throw a little California and warp it with some Neon - J/K!!!!

Jon
10-10-07, 06:07 PM
In California it's a fix it ticket so when I get tagged I will throw one on but I refuse to drill holes. It is going to be one fancy braket that will go through the 2 grills. Couple of nice peices of machined anodized aluminum should do it and maybe I will throw a little California and warp it with some Neon - J/K!!!!
Here it's $105 but if you go to court and show them a picture of your car with the plate on they drop the charge...

I'll just bring them an old photo, LOL.

CTSV_Rob
10-10-07, 06:14 PM
Good idea Jon!

I never had a plate on mine, talk about lucky the dealer never moutned it.

WHYTRY
10-11-07, 12:44 PM
This was my answer. Still have a front plate but not on my bumper. It's folded in the lower grill. I used a A/C duct break to fold it. All the plate is all there so that's how I get out of the disruction of state prop ticket. It gives it that Euro look. I like it and it is mounted on the front bumper like the law says. In Maryland not having a front tag is a $50 ticket even if it is in the windshield or if you put it on in front of the cop he will still wright the fine. Maryland, DC, and Virgina laws suck. Just my .02

heavymetals
10-11-07, 02:02 PM
This is how I did it:

I refuse to drill holes in the facia!

Jon
10-11-07, 03:14 PM
This was my answer. Still have a front plate but not on my bumper. It's folded in the lower grill. I used a A/C duct break to fold it. All the plate is all there so that's how I get out of the disruction of state prop ticket. It gives it that Euro look. I like it and it is mounted on the front bumper like the law says. In Maryland not having a front tag is a $50 ticket even if it is in the windshield or if you put it on in front of the cop he will still wright the fine. Maryland, DC, and Virgina laws suck. Just my .02
That qualifies for destruction of gov't property here and carries a much bigger fine than not having the front plate on.

WHYTRY
10-11-07, 03:46 PM
Well then. I should of said check your local laws. That seems like it could lead to something real bad.

rekctsv
10-11-07, 05:06 PM
I didn't realize there were so many 2 plate states out there!
I'm glad it is not required in SC. Unfortunately, my car came from Virginia, I have 4 holes in the bumper now because I removed the ugly plate.

1FASTSS
11-21-07, 12:13 PM
I was searching for a therad about removing the front plate bracket and found this one. Anyone remove the bracket when they have the rivets? I know you just drill out the center of the rivets to remove it but why are screws better?

Where are you getting plugs at? I don't want to spend the $$ on bumper plugs since I will probably have the bumper repainted.

tx_metabaron
11-21-07, 12:24 PM
Where are you getting plugs at? I don't want to spend the $$ on bumper plugs since I will probably have the bumper repainted.
I got these cheap black pastic screws with flat top.Paint them every 6 months or so with silver paint,dry and finisher.
Works for me.I'm still testing the waters to see if I was going to get montly fines :bomb:(everyone advised against it).
No problem in 6 months,even when I was pulled over for speeding.

WHYTRY
11-21-07, 12:30 PM
If you are having the bumper repainted just fill in the holes before paint it will cost you little but you will be a lot happier with the results

1FASTSS
11-21-07, 01:00 PM
If you are having the bumper repainted just fill in the holes before paint it will cost you little but you will be a lot happier with the results

I will have the holes filled when I redo my bumper. It just won't be until after winter and I wanted a cheap fix until then vs spending $50 on plugs I'd just wind up throwing away one day.

Jon
11-21-07, 01:02 PM
That's my plan. :)

Coma
11-21-07, 04:12 PM
Here are the state rules for front plates.

http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/usa/US_XLPR.html

**** Ohio.