: Custom subwoofer installs on the rear decklid? (not freeair)

DarkMatter
10-09-07, 03:14 PM
I have been surfing around on the forums for pics of a rear decklid non-freeair install. 0% return. :annoyed:

Anyone have pics they can post? I have been installing for 10 years now and was thinking about taking 3 months to design/fab/install a nice fiberglass enclosure. Figured it would be a good idea for a few reasons -

1st -Previous experience has yeilded that my driving style requires that a sub box needs to be anchored down by at least 3 1/4 lag bolts or 10-15 screws. (snapped a 4 point screwdown, then a 1 1/4 lag bolt sheared through the hole I made in the car's sheetmetal. Led to a few funny-as-hell dents in the rear panel of the car. Looked like the top of Bart Simpson's head was mashed against the insde of the car. Thank god it was a honda.... ) So - I am not interested in bolting something down/taking up a bunch of trunk realestate or dealing with the ramifications of a rolling box on such a beautiful car.

2nd -Freeair subs are great for 80-120Hz or so because of the speed and lack of major driver displacement/compression of air needed to produce a clean signal. Getting lower frequencies requires the cone of the subwoofer move much slower and travels furthur. Freeair subs are stiffer at the end of thier throw in either linear direction because they are designed to *try* to not bottom out on the back of the magnet. Because of this, freeair is the worse sub design to produce low, reliably clean signals. You really need a sealed box, or an engineered sealed. (bandpass boxes are for 18 years old s with 1000 wheedwhaker exhuast rice-rockets with no vision of audio quality.)
Seeing as how audio is actuall produced in most songs from 32hz - 10khz, I wouldn't see the point of replacing a crappy factory sub with a less-crappy but not crap-less replacement.

Lastly - I HATE BOSE. No offense to those who like it - its just not my cup O' tea. :D

That said - I will take lots of pictures and maybe make something for production if I decide to do a mold based box. It will depend on a few variables. Curious... would anyone be interested if I could come up with a viable solution for under $500 for the box? (was thinking all things given - the box would need to be around 1-1.5 cu feet in total volume sealed and reasonably deep to accomodate most subs.)

-Dark

nikon
10-09-07, 03:23 PM
As long as I could still lay down my seats and lay something long in my trunk, I'd be in....sounds like a good idea.....but personally I think the bose system sounds just fine :hide:

heavymetals
10-09-07, 03:36 PM
You might check in on the CTS forum.

Those guys have done a lot of audio stuff (cuz they can't do squat to the motor). :stirpot:

Civardi
10-09-07, 03:46 PM
Lastly - I HATE BOSE. No offense to those who like it - its just not my cup O' tea. :D

-Dark

No highs, no lows, it must be Bose. :hide:

Keys8541
10-09-07, 03:49 PM
if your listening to music so loud you need to replace a bose system, you should have bought an escalade!

heavymetals
10-09-07, 03:54 PM
The BOSE is ok for an electronic crossover.

The speakers are a joke, especially the sub woofer which doesn't even make a good doorstop.

I could think of a better car to own to make an audio shrine out of, but that wasn't what I got mine for. :hide:

GMBOUND
10-09-07, 04:35 PM
I want both, fast car, great sound & my DIC

ssmith100
10-09-07, 05:41 PM
The only problem going this route is the factory sub sits so far back in the decklid that if you try to go with more than 5 inches of depth under the decklid it will really take up alot of trunk room. Sheet metal up there could be cut to accomodate some space savings but I don't think it's worth it. I tried this before I went the route I did. A sealed enclosure firing into the rear seat only cost me about 7"s of trunk room from the back of the seat into the trunk. Enclosure is 1.25 cuft for 12W6. I would recommend doing a cut out in the ski pass as that made a world of differnece for me. I know people get tired of me posting the same pics so I'll give you a link to my install. I've been doing my own install work for almost twenty years now and have stared at our trunks for countless hours trying to come up with different ideas. So far this is the best set up I have come up with.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17514

Shane

Dave-V
10-09-07, 06:30 PM
I have a Boston Pro 12 boxed in a .8 cubic foor box. It is on the passenger side of the trunk with a RF punch 360 mounted on to. I can get to the spare, use the driver side fold down and use the hole from the bose 10 as a port. Works nicely and hits hard.

CTSV_Rob
10-09-07, 07:26 PM
The stereo is not a shaker but it sounds good enough for me for now. Guess I'm still in the honey moon period with the car, with the headers and the B&B exhaust I drive with the radio off most of the time. Sounds sooooo nice.

I can see why the CTS guys would want to put in a better stereo, need something to drown out the V6!

The stereo might happen for me but not until I have the truck motor heads, the TVS super charger, and a upgrade for the rear before the radio gets any new mods. Need to make sure I can spank the new 09 V at least in stock form.

Enjoy the stereo, I'm sure it will sound sweet when your done. I am going to concentrate on the heart of the beast.

SkullV
10-09-07, 07:29 PM
I just went into the local audio place today to get a case for my verizon phone and they said that for 1k they could make me close to a comp audio system....if i get it done ill make sure pics follow!

GMBOUND
10-09-07, 08:09 PM
I just went into the local audio place today to get a case for my verizon phone and they said that for 1k they could make me close to a comp audio system....if i get it done ill make sure pics follow!

So what all comes w/ a "close to a comp" audio system? You already have the factory head unit out correct? If not you'll spend close to your $1k to get a close to Comp head unit to send a decent flat signal.

csp3000
10-09-07, 09:07 PM
I have a custom system being put in the V right now from a Chip Foose type place called Charno's Custom Rides here in South Florida. Really cool place and they do everything for your car from bodywork, custom fabrication and engine work. For the system that they are putting in the V they use all factory spots and the subs are hidden "two 12inch subs". It is also really light weight. They call it there stealth system. I am picking it up tomorrow and I will take some pic's. Oh bty it sounded amazing in about seven cars that it was installed in that I got to listen. The clarity and fidelity is great and when they put some jazz or rock on it sounded amazing and when you put some bass music on you will feel it. It was the best of all worlds I guess... :thumbsup:

DarkMatter
10-10-07, 01:02 PM
Interseting ideas. I was thinking about hugging the sub - but also moving horizontally out under the top or bottom to keep clearances acceptable(have not ripped off the decklid to see what kind of space I have up there quite yet.) If I went straight downwards, it would be like having a deco pillar in the trunk. ;-)

CTSV_Rob
10-10-07, 01:28 PM
Excuse my ignorance, what does "hugging the sub" mean?

Civardi
10-10-07, 02:08 PM
Excuse my ignorance, what does "hugging the sub" mean?

It like cryogenic metal tempering for you engine parts. You hug and caress the stereo equipment prior to install to make it louder and take more abuse.

jar240
10-10-07, 11:03 PM
Very interesting....there is not much room under the deck lid though....with trunk space in mind, alot of people, i assume, buy cadillacs for trunk space also, a custom molded box would work and with the room under the deck into the trunk a 1-1.5 cu. ft. box would fit. very interested....anything in progress yet? would you use the factory amp or aftermarket? i also noticed that the factory sub is dual voice coil, un usual for factory, but any idea on how many watts its putting out?

DarkMatter
10-16-07, 01:34 PM
No - I just moved into a new place, I have to clean the garage enough to park the V in there and start tearing into it.

GMBOUND
10-16-07, 01:54 PM
I have a custom system being put in the V right now from a Chip Foose type place called Charno's Custom Rides here in South Florida. Really cool place and they do everything for your car from bodywork, custom fabrication and engine work. For the system that they are putting in the V they use all factory spots and the subs are hidden "two 12inch subs". It is also really light weight. They call it there stealth system. I am picking it up tomorrow and I will take some pic's. Oh bty it sounded amazing in about seven cars that it was installed in that I got to listen. The clarity and fidelity is great and when they put some jazz or rock on it sounded amazing and when you put some bass music on you will feel it. It was the best of all worlds I guess... :thumbsup:

Where is the Pics?????