: Tie-Rods $1500 ??

Jon_AC
10-09-07, 02:52 PM
I just got my 98 Catera back from a local shop getting an estimate for replacing the passenger inner/outer tie rods and a "center-link kit".
The quote.... Almost $1,500 installed... Im no expert on car repair bills, but that seems a little stiff. I am looking for a place that sells these parts relatively cheap.

I am wondering, since I need to replace the tie-rods on one side with the center link, should I replace the driver side as well?

I like to drive my cat fast around corners :D, which would explain the tie-rods going. Does anybody know of "performance tie-rods" that are available for the Catera? I am considering putting a lot of performance parts into the Catera, so I don't want to pay for stock tie rods, then replace them later with better ones.

All help/input will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

R-Caddy
10-09-07, 07:46 PM
I got 2 new tie rod kits (inner end, outer end and adjuster) from ebay.co.uk for a little over $180 including shipping directly from the Vauxhall dealer!!! In a week! Installation shouldn't be but above $100, keeping in mind you're bringing your parts, because shops charge more if you do that. Then get the alignment and you're done. The total of about $400 tops ;)

yellowxhoodie
10-12-07, 06:04 PM
tie rods are easy. do em yourself. you can get em from any auto parts store for around 150-200. As far as putting a bunch of performance parts in your catera. idk if youve done any research, but good luck finding them.haha

mach1456
10-13-07, 03:38 PM
R-Caddy which rods did you get for the 97? Year or part number would help alot. Thanks.