: RPO Build Code

MortnCyn
10-09-07, 09:47 AM
One of the build codes on our '07 is WD1, which is shown as Pilot Vehicle. Checking the code further, it shows ification pilot vehicle (production pilot).

Anyone know what a pilot vehicle is?

TSS
10-09-07, 10:53 AM
No idea, but it sounds cool to say "I have a pilot vehicle".

GMJim
10-09-07, 02:35 PM
M&C,
A Production Pilot Vehicle is a slooooooooooooooow build vehicle. The line hasn't ramped up to speed yet.
It is built before vehicles are even shipped to the dealer. It is one of the first vehicles assembled. Generally, Exec's would drive them for a while to determine if there were any bugs to iron out. Then they would sell them
as pep vehicles. I hope this helps.

TSS
10-09-07, 04:17 PM
A sloooooow build vehicle can be a very good thing. I had a 1990 300 ZX Twin Turbo that was built before they "officially" started building the new Z32 body style. It was used for press releases, Car and driver tests, etc. You better believe they built that thing carefully and did quality control more rigorously. So I think you are lucky Mort.

Jim, sorry - that is the one and only foreign vehicle I have ever owned - and I bought it used when it was 12 years old (2001). :patriot:

smokiejoe
10-10-07, 12:19 AM
Yes, Pilot Build vehicles are built prior to the Full Startup of Production. (SOP). All parts used must be Production approved, and off Production Tooling. Vehicles are built sloooow. I think that could be a good thing, except sometimes small tweaks and engineering changes are made to the vehicle, after the pilot analysis. Pilot vehicles can obviously be sold to the public.

MortnCyn
10-10-07, 06:55 AM
M&C,
A Production Pilot Vehicle is a slooooooooooooooow build vehicle. The line hasn't ramped up to speed yet.
It is built before vehicles are even shipped to the dealer. It is one of the first vehicles assembled. Generally, Exec's would drive them for a while to determine if there were any bugs to iron out. Then they would sell them
as pep vehicles. I hope this helps.GMJim: Thanks for the info.
It is interesting to note that the 2007 SRX production startup date was shown as August 14, 2007. This one was built on August 7th. I had checked with OnStar re any remaining time available (none) and the OnStar was activated on August 14th. The dealer purchased it at auction (Indianapolis) in May with 5,990 miles and it had 7,996 when picked up on 10/1.
Kudos to the dealer (Chesrown Newark, Ohio) in that the vehicle is very clean including the doorjambs, under the bumpers, no bugs on the Ultraview wind deflector, etc. Our 05 with 1750 miles had enough Michigan dirt on the undercarriage to grow asparagus.
The sticker warranty information shows the 48/50,000 and all other warranties with an in service date of 4/4/2007. Would guess this is when the vehicle was turned in by the GM employee. I need to get the key fobs programmed and will have our local dealer check the VIN for any warranty service. Do wonder if a project vehicle will show any required tweaks or service.