: 3.6L Loosing Coolant

Randrball
10-08-07, 10:31 PM
Hoping some of you more knowledgeable members can help me isolate where my car is loosing coolant from. It is leaking from the passenger side rear trailing down the transmission bell housing. After sitting for several hours, there will be a small 3 inch diameter puddle. I tried to see it's source by crawling under the car with a flashlight. However, I could not pinpoint it's source. My local dealership jumped right at wanting to replace the head gaskets for 2300.00. I hate to say go ahead without them even really trying to diagnosis it's origin. Where do you guys think it's coming from? Thank you for your replies.

04' CTS with 71,000 miles

dkozloski
10-10-07, 12:57 AM
I'd spend a lot of time looking around with flashlights and inspection mirrors before I turned $100/hr monkeys loose on it. Small mirrors on long handles will get your vision into a lot of places.

1KWIKCTS
05-21-08, 03:08 PM
GM sells approved coolant pellets P#? that are added before any head gasket replacement is performed. It is recommended in the shop manual to do this before tearing the motor down.

cadillacroadside
05-22-08, 01:06 PM
$100.00 an hour monkeys??? you dont have a clue do ya. why is he a monkey?? because he spends one month a year training (alot on his own time) because he has the best tools and service info? because he works on caddy and caddy only?, training tools and knowledge alone allow us to charge more than the aftermarket. lets see "toothless dave" from "blind bills auto center and food emporium" diag your high speed lan communication problem. i get cars towed in on a daily basis that some independent shop could not fix and realistically only made worse....but he still had the balls to charge the customer for his time and wash his hands of the issue, that sir is the "monkey"

stealthblue
12-17-09, 11:52 PM
My '06 CTS with 33K miles has twice in the last 2 months overflowed some coolant after it was parked. I can't seem to replicate this phenomenon when I try and the engine temp never goes above mid gauge no matter how hard I push it. The first time it lost about 1 cup, the second time about a pint. The oil looks to be free of coolant. After it comes up to temperature and is idling I see no bubbles in the expansion tank. I would normally start by replacing the cap, but it doesn't have a traditional radiator cap. Suggestions?

tateos
06-25-10, 08:17 PM
Maybe pour in a pint and a cup of coolant?

briggy
07-06-10, 11:05 PM
$100.00 an hour monkeys??? you dont have a clue do ya. why is he a monkey?? because he spends one month a year training (alot on his own time) because he has the best tools and service info? because he works on caddy and caddy only?, training tools and knowledge alone allow us to charge more than the aftermarket. lets see "toothless dave" from "blind bills auto center and food emporium" diag your high speed lan communication problem. i get cars towed in on a daily basis that some independent shop could not fix and realistically only made worse....but he still had the balls to charge the customer for his time and wash his hands of the issue, that sir is the "monkey"

but maybe you should tell us how you really feel :). Some dealers are awesome, others are monkeys. I've seen both.