: Chrome Cadillac 18" wheels upgrade

MM STS
10-07-07, 04:23 PM
I figure that the 18" chrome Cadillac STS rims I'm looking at are off a newer STS. My question is has anybody tried these tires?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T%2FA+KDWS&partnum=35WR8GFTAKDWS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=1

I hope this link works they are BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 235-50-ZR18 tires for $79 each plus shipping. These are W rated tires and I felt way cheap for the size as far as I can tell. They do have the charictureistics* I'm looking for. Mike

Curious George
10-09-07, 01:14 AM
Check the November issue of Consumer Reports. They tested UHP tires. They found this Goodrich to be way noisy.

MM STS
10-09-07, 09:25 PM
Thanks I do not get consumers report. Mike

shudog
10-16-07, 01:16 PM
Higher noise might be a necessary evil of a high performance tire like what you're shopping for. It's caused by the nylon spiral winding which overlaps the steel belts and goes just under the rubber tread compound. The nylon overlap helps hold the tire together at high speeds but also transmits noise from the road through the tire into the car. Driving on concrete roads makes the situation much worse. If you really like the tires and want the performance, do like I do and turn up the stereo...

rb92gt
10-17-07, 07:05 PM
I've had the BFG KDW on my mustang and they were loud, but it's a mustang and the exhaust is louder. Great performing tires though. The KDWS has sipes for winter weather. The KDW didn't last too long, probably 15,000 miles, not sure how the KDWS wear relates.

MM STS
10-17-07, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the comments. I'm thinking the noise will not deter me. I do expect to do a lil better with the miles they have a 400 treadwear rating. I usually do pretty good with the tire wear anyways. Thanks again. Mike

shudog
10-20-07, 02:26 PM
That's a killer deal for those tires... I had BFG KDWS on my 2001 Z28 and they lasted 40K of hard driving... I was very pleased with the performance overall. Never noticed any extra noise either but the car was loud all together.

MM STS
10-22-07, 07:44 PM
That's a killer deal for those tires... I had BFG KDWS on my 2001 Z28 and they lasted 40K of hard driving... I was very pleased with the performance overall. Never noticed any extra noise either but the car was loud all together.
Thanks I guess I was looking at the right time. I made my purchase. On ebay I found several similar deals last week. As the weekend got closer I noticed they started taking the prices up. The other sizes were 120-140 so not sure why but I'll run for the hills with them :thumbsup: Ya one for the little guy. Mike P.S. 40k miles sounds alot better.