: oil life monitor problem

fpmesiIII
10-07-07, 02:25 PM
for some reason my Oil Life Monitor resets itself to 0%. and says change oil. none of the other stats reset. any ideas how to fix this problem.

Ranger
10-07-07, 04:56 PM
Just a shot in the dark, but try pulling battery power for a few minutes.

fpmesiIII
10-08-07, 11:06 PM
today I went out to my car today and found out it would not start. So I called AAA they came out and said that my battery connection terminal was loose, so they tightened it up and the car fired up.

maybe this loose battery connection was causing my car to do funny electrical things like randomly resetting the oil life. the electrical stuff always acted up when it was wet too so maybe between the loose connection and the dampness, it was just enough to do it in.

but yeah Ranger I should have checked the battery connection like you recommended above. never thought it would cause my car to not start.

3ntropy
10-08-07, 11:10 PM
turn the car on and cycle through the error messages. scroll through the readouts till you get to the engine oil life readout. hold down the reset button for about 5 seconds until it goes back to 100%. speaking from experience with a 2002 deville, but it may still work.

AJxtcman
10-08-07, 11:19 PM
for some reason my Oil Life Monitor resets itself to 0%. and says change oil. none of the other stats reset. any ideas how to fix this problem.

Please read this http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/118135-oil-life-monitor-how-does-know.html

If your temp goes up to the hot zone you oil life will go down to 0%

fpmesiIII
10-09-07, 06:04 PM
it still has the problem got in car today and fired it up and said change oil and OLM was at 0. the car does not over heat either.

pimpincaddystyle
10-09-07, 08:57 PM
have you checked any fuses? sounds like you may have blown a fuse....there are tons and tons of fuses everywhere...check them all

in the trunk
and under the hood

fpmesiIII
10-09-07, 10:03 PM
any specific fuse? what would a blown fuse do to the resetting to 0% of the oil life monitor?

dkozloski
10-09-07, 10:39 PM
I'd be looking for an open or shorted lead on an engine temperature sensor.

fpmesiIII
10-09-07, 10:56 PM
where are these engine temperature sensors located?