: 68k miles and the engine took a dive

jcmills99
10-05-07, 11:51 PM
YUP DAS RITE......The other morning I went outside to crank my car, and it started ticking a little at first, but it was a cold morning so I thought maybe it was just a noise that would go away as it warmed up. While i let the car idle and loaded my stuff up the ticking got louder then all at once it started sounding like a diesel engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U79GXjzeGms

Thats a video I took on my phone (sorry quality i know) it may not be audible on the video but the clattering sound was so much worse at higher RPMS (go figure). So i had it towed to my local shop, where the mechanic says that it seems to him the last time I got my oil changed, the oil change company didnt change the filter, because I am still 2000 miles away from my next oil change and according to him the filter thats on there looks like its from 3 or 4 oil changes ago.:mad: He then informed me that they also stripped out the oil plug b/c they over tightened the plug with some power tool instead of hand tightening. :bigroll: According to the mechanic "This car is far to clean underneath to be having these kinds of problems this early." He has worked on several cateras before so why this would be a shock to him im not sure. He ended up towing it to the local cadillac dealership where they said right from the get that the lifters were f**ked and estimated atleast 2100 dollars in repairs. So he calls me and tells me this and says that we can go that route, or we can go the route of getting another engine. I told him to call around for some prices and see what he could find. He called me earlier and said he found an engine out of a 2000 Catera Sport like mine w/only 66k miles on for 1800 with a 1 year unlimited mile warranty. I'm needing advice.....is this a good price for an engine??? One that is 7 years old w/66k miles on it?? Mine is 7 years old with 68k miles on it and look what happened LOL Im wondering too if it is a good price and I do go with this or any other replacement engine, what questions should i ask or what things should i be aware of, more importantly what are some key things i should have the mechanic inspect on the engine. Any help would be much appreciated :))

jcmills99
10-06-07, 05:47 PM
anyone?

R-Caddy
10-08-07, 09:13 PM
I guess if they could "rebuild" your engine, it may be safer than getting another one and find out that it has the same problem. I am not sure what else to tell you. Sorry that happened :(
Good luck ;)

frank moran
10-08-07, 09:46 PM
heres my recommendation, first, all your lifters did not go out over night, are you sure that noise is not the serp belt tensioner or possibly the timeing belt tensioner on its last legs.... the noise does not sound like a lifter?? it's a bit too fast. you need to get a second opinion. Was the oil level up to specs, what was the oil pressure doing..??? Do a bit more diagnosing before you jump into an engine...

z06bigbird
10-08-07, 11:03 PM
I think $1800 installed is a retail price if he provides all hoses, fluids, etc. If it is $1800 plus labor, forget it.

Or you can call around to some national junk yards like LKQ, etc.

Aleksus
10-09-07, 12:13 AM
Yep i agree with those guys you should do the diagnosing again,thats rit . If i'd need another engine i think i'd go to junk yard and sometimes you can get a good deal from them. Also i'd check it rit here :http://sfbay.craigslist.org/ I guess you can find it rit there and may be from another state

R-Caddy
10-09-07, 12:29 AM
I've had good luck with LKQ. I am satisfied with their pricing and service. That's in worst case scenario.

TitanCTS
10-09-07, 09:31 PM
Or you could go on ebay and get a freshly new 3.2l cts motor for $1600... :)