gtm245
04-25-04, 12:14 PM
1996 Chrysler LHS
152,600 miles
All options except moonroof
Black exterior - tan interior
3.5L SOHC V6
$2000 OBO

The car is in good condition for having 152,600 miles. The paint is glossy with almost no chips or scratches. Everything on the car works except the radio (I have no idea why it doesn't work though). There is a small amount of rust on the underside of the car but it isn't to bad considering it has spend its whole life in the midwest. Tires are getting fairly worn and will have to be replaced in about 8,000 - 10,000 miles. Kelly Blue Book and NADA both put this car around #3500 - $4100 even with the high miles. Anyway do you guys have any comments on the price or even the car? I've heard the transmissions on these cars (New Yorker, LHS, Dodge Intreped) are junk and tend to go out a lot. Anything I should look out for with this car? Finally do you guys think this is a pretty good price for this kind of car (year, miles, condition)? Thanks everyone. :)

Msilva954
04-25-04, 01:53 PM
I dont think that its really all that good....for one those years arent the best for Chrysler and that is high mileage for what you'd be getting.

gothicaleigh
04-25-04, 01:55 PM
Not a big fan of the LHS, but any car in decent shape and good working condition is worth a couple grand. Talk it down to $1500 and drive it into the ground.

brougham
04-25-04, 06:13 PM
That's a good price for it. Even if it needs a bit of work it's still a good price.

If you want to know the normal princes for them in yor area start getting some Auto Traders and go through them to see what other ones are going for.

Ralph
04-25-04, 06:51 PM
Nice styling on those cars. Haggle, always haggle the price down, especially if there is any amount of rust.

gothicaleigh
04-25-04, 08:13 PM
If you see 'or best offer' on anything, never settle for the listed price. Offer $1500 and go from there.

Vesicant
04-25-04, 08:40 PM
Chryslers always rust early, even after the paint/body problems they were having... valve seals go a lot (even on todays latest models) and the transmission problems. Your going to end up having major paint/body rust problems in the future. Its just starting.

Sandy
04-25-04, 09:11 PM
Ahhhh, the tricks I learned at Ford Management school, when I sold cars!!
Haggle?
They taught us if the buyer makes a counter offer, and you drop your pants (car talk for lower the price immediately) you have told the buyer that you are open to bargining and you drop price often. If customer makes an offer, tell the customer that the dealership has placed a fair price on the car and that we want to sell it, but cannot sell it for under market value, and THEN WALK AWAY from the customer. IF IF IF IF the customer walks after you, he/she is telling you that they REALLY want the car. Get off the price, and get them out there and behind the wheel for a ride and TALK CAR TALK CAR not price. He's NOT buying Price, he's buying Car.

I hated haggling when I got older. Had no patience for it. I'd drop my pants to the bone 1-2-3 to either write the deal or walk away from the customer & hope they left. THAT'S why I got outta it. I hope you guys see the tip in there that I just gave you :D

Ralph
04-25-04, 11:06 PM
Ahhhh, the tricks I learned at Ford Management school, when I sold cars!!
Haggle?
They taught us if the buyer makes a counter offer, and you drop your pants (car talk for lower the price immediately) you have told the buyer that you are open to bargining and you drop price often. If customer makes an offer, tell the customer that the dealership has placed a fair price on the car and that we want to sell it, but cannot sell it for under market value, and THEN WALK AWAY from the customer. IF IF IF IF the customer walks after you, he/she is telling you that they REALLY want the car. Get off the price, and get them out there and behind the wheel for a ride and TALK CAR TALK CAR not price. He's NOT buying Price, he's buying Car.

I hated haggling when I got older. Had no patience for it. I'd drop my pants to the bone 1-2-3 to either write the deal or walk away from the customer & hope they left. THAT'S why I got outta it. I hope you guys see the tip in there that I just gave you :D

Car dealers LOVE older buyers, because like you said, they don't seem to have patience for haggling! A new DTS up here STARTS at 70,000!! My Stepdad phoned EVERY Cadillac dealership in Saskatchewan, and had them eating out of his hands. Considering our 14% tax on new cars, that would have brought the price to $79,800! I won't say exactly what he paid, but I'll tell you he paid LESS than $70,000 INCLUDING the tax. Anything is negociable, and I learned from him to not bother if a dealership wants sticker plus tax. There are about six Caddy dealers in the Province, and he wouldn't bother with ones if they would not go down $100 dollars!(including the total cost, one dealership lost the sale over this amount!) Some of the dealers were even rude enough to hang up on him! They ALWAYS called him back because think of the large commission on these cars. Considering that my 1991 Fleetwood was stickered at $54,000 Canadian, and he paid $42,000,(including tax) it is only a fool that does not haggle for those kind of savings. True, most people don't want to deal with the stress of "throwing numbers back and forth," etc.

Considering that China's economy is now booming, and brought the price of steel up quite a lot, it might become more difficult to haggle, but then it's only the suckers that pay full price IMO.

p.s. I'll never drop my pants for free! :p