: Valve Stem Seal Puller

dhm37
10-04-07, 03:22 PM
In another post about a Homemade valve spring compressor, I showed my kludge that I used to compress valve springs for removal/installation. Here I follow that with the details of a valve stem seal puller made from a spring steel rod that was a CB radio antenna. A special tool is made to do the pulling, but I was unable to find a source that had stock. Hence the homemade device shown in the pics below.
OldSeal.jpg
SealAndPuller.jp
SealPullerTeeth.jpg

Note the piece of chromed brass tubing from my plumbing box. This tube justfits inside the lifter bore and is used to protect the bore wall while the seal puller and pliers are at work.
SealKit-more.JPG
sealPuller1.jpg

The seals will be firmly bonded by heat to the valve stem guide, so a good deal of steady twisting pressure is required to break the bond. Then as the twisting is accomplished, steady upward pressure will pull the seal out.

The spring steel puller has just enough gap between the points to allow it to be twisted by hand onto the seal to get it to engage the two holes in the botton, and then keep the points in the seal case while the twisting force is applied. To little gap, and it is impossible to get the points in the seal. Too large a gap, and the twisting action will cause the points to disengage. Once the gap is right, the little tool is very efficient, and very tough.

BTW, the seals from RockAuto do not have the green viton material. Instead they are sort of a brown color. So I didn't use them. Anyone know the exact differences in material between the GM version and the RockAuto version?

ejguillot
11-23-09, 10:20 PM
I used this post to create my own seal. For those of you without a CB antenna to scavenge from, a 3/32" x 1-1/2" cotter pin (I bought mine in a 3 pack at Lowe's for 56 cents) is the exact size needed for the holes in the valve stem seal. Bend it into a U shape like the one shown above.

97EldoCoupe
11-26-09, 12:20 AM
I re-worked a pair of excessively long and pointy needle-nose pliers. Works like a charm.