: Just Changed Cabin Air Filter, I Love This Forum! ! !

Flyboy
10-04-07, 01:54 PM
I decided maybe I should change the cabin air filter. I have 20000 miles on her....Yes it's a her.

Anyway, went to the FAQ Routine Maintenance. Sounded really easy. So, I get to work. I didn't notice the position of the old filter (very dirty by the way), when I removed it. Anyway, I tried installing the new one and got very frustrated because it just didn't fit the way I felt it should. Damn. So I did a thread search on this forum and found another guy who had the same issue and another member resolved it for him (and me):bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

I love this place....you guys are all the best:highfive::highfive:

Now I'll "breath easier" knowing I have clean air in the cabin.....LOL

Keys8541
10-04-07, 01:58 PM
yeah i might need to do that too, i have an 04 with 20k on it.

theloanman219
10-04-07, 02:05 PM
yeah i might need to do that too, i have an 04 with 20k on it.

Def not a thread jack....I love this forum also.....Look at that avatar!:yup:

onebadcad
10-04-07, 02:48 PM
Flyboy,
Please post the earlier thread you referenced, thank you.

heavymetals
10-04-07, 02:54 PM
I fought with that POS filter for 20 minutes until I realized it just looks like it mounts funky.

DOH!

slothV
10-04-07, 02:54 PM
^^ I have a new one sitting on my back seat waiting to be installed.

Flyboy
10-04-07, 03:05 PM
Okay.....Here it is......

Shine a light down in there and you will see two other tabs on the side of the filter housing. The filter needs to be positioned behind them and it will rest on the lower portion of the housing.
After the filter is placed behind all the tabs and against the intake opening on the firewall and the top retainer is snapped back on it won't move. Not really a 'snug' fit though.
PITA positioning the filter if you have large hands.

The Other comment was this "It just lays against the top two tabs, not under them"

(That was where I was having problems.)

I could do the whole thing in 15 mintues now.....not 90 like it took me.

OldRoadDawg
10-04-07, 03:23 PM
And they do get dirty...

bleeee
10-04-07, 05:14 PM
damn 04 with 50k on it, and ive never done that. Is that something that they took care of at my 30k service?

heavymetals
10-04-07, 05:31 PM
damn 04 with 50k on it, and ive never done that. Is that something that they took care of at my 30k service?

Check your receipt.

Not a standard-taken for granted-to do that I know of.

GMBOUND
10-04-07, 09:16 PM
What A$S Filter, I mean air filter

christmas
10-05-07, 09:35 AM
Where do you order this air filter? I have 30K on my 04 and need to get the service done, but not sure if I want the dealer to work on it.

Flyboy
10-05-07, 09:59 AM
Checkers here in AZ ordered it. Got it in one day. I think any auto parts store can get it for you. About 50 bucks or so.

OldRoadDawg
10-05-07, 10:03 AM
Picked one up from NAPA for $32

Silver Dollar
10-05-07, 12:08 PM
When did you change yours road doggy?

OldRoadDawg
10-05-07, 12:13 PM
When did you change yours road doggy?
32K miles
Back when I had a base CTS I changed it at 24K and it looked as bad. Got a little lazy about changing the one in the V

WheelHop
10-05-07, 12:32 PM
Where is the filter located anywayz?

Flyboy
10-05-07, 12:47 PM
Go To the FAQ page, under routine maintenance. Full description there. But to answer your question, directly behind the battery.

AAIIIC
10-15-07, 01:19 PM
I haven't been able to find the GM part # here, even checked the FAQ and found the instructions but no part number. Can someone hook a brother up? :)

And is the stock part just a plain paper filter? I saw this one on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300157202709), it's got pimpy carbon filtering to help reduce odors. I know even with the HVAC turned off and the windows closed if I'm following a stinky vehicle (diesel or poor-running gas) that I can smell it. I don't know how much the carbon filter would help with that, but it can't hurt methinks.

heavymetals
10-15-07, 01:27 PM
Call Luke (Lindsay) and have him send you one.

AAIIIC
10-20-07, 06:06 PM
I haven't been able to find the GM part # here, even checked the FAQ and found the instructions but no part number. Can someone hook a brother up? :)
25740404 is the part number for anyone else that might be looking.

Call Luke (Lindsay) and have him send you one.
I'm all for supporting vendors, but for something that only costs $25 or whatever, any savings Luke can give me will be wiped out by the cost of shipping. And if I can go to the dealer that's 2 or 3 minutes away from me and get the part immediately rather than waiting on USPS or UPS then I'm inclined to do that.

On big things it's a different story. I've spent a couple thousand dollars on parts through Luke in the two months I've owned the car. Even with shipping, it's cheaper to get things like the GM Accessory wheels through Luke, so that's what I did.