: 6 spd to 5 spd and back again

nxlr8
10-04-07, 01:46 AM
Any of you have multiple vehicle's in the manual transmission variety? I find myself shifting my 5 spd into reverse (looking for 6th) all the time... :hide:

I gotta stop swappin' cars... :D

heavymetals
10-04-07, 02:17 AM
I am driving Mr Vette (since the V is apart) and it is so bitchin to drive something where the gearshift feels positive and sure.

And they are the same GD transmission! :banghead:

SkullV
10-04-07, 02:42 AM
I rarely shift into 6th driving around here at Purdue's Campus. I do know how you feel though, every time I get in a car with an auto trans the first thing I do is try and smash down the clutch to start the car!

rand49er
10-04-07, 06:51 AM
Any of you have multiple vehicle's in the manual transmission variety? I find myself shifting my 5 spd into reverse (looking for 6th) all the time... :hide:

I gotta stop swappin' cars... :DAll the time.

Then, get in my wife's AT and I find my left foot pawing the air. :helpless:

nikon
10-04-07, 10:50 AM
yup, I drive my V and our work car, saturn vue w/5spd...then I'll drive my Gf's auto...it does get confusing sometimes.

Ak Jim
10-04-07, 01:47 PM
I know what you mean! I tried to put my Ranger in 6th the other day. It let me know it was not happy! :crybaby:

heavymetals
10-04-07, 01:52 PM
You want confusion? :bonkers:

Go from an old english motorcycle to a Jap bike.

Gearshift and rear brake swap sides! :thepan:

Keys8541
10-04-07, 02:04 PM
whats the deal with shifting into second with the 04's, maybe its just my car, but sometimes it doesnt want to seat right and i have to throw it from 1st to third. maybe happens a couple times a week

nikon
10-04-07, 02:09 PM

ouch...didn't know they were ever switched like that....that would be, well very dangerous to say the least...

darkman
10-04-07, 02:26 PM

Oh yeah, old english motorcycles. How would like to own a CTS-V with 100% Lucas electrics?

fredcook
10-04-07, 02:27 PM
whats the deal with shifting into second with the 04's, maybe its just my car, but sometimes it doesnt want to seat right and i have to throw it from 1st to third. maybe happens a couple times a week

Mine (05) did that early on. I ignored it/dealt with it for a while, then one day I lost the ability to get onto other gears at all. There was a loose "guide" plate (that defines the H pattern) that had to be tightened down. Simple repair.

onebadcad
10-04-07, 02:42 PM
New rule, only buy GM performance vehicles (GTO, Vette, '09 Camaro) with 6-speed manual trannies for your 'other' car.
But seriously, I drive the wifey's SUV and have almost hit a few people when forgetting to keep my foot on the brake at red lights.

Points to you for your avatar-NICE!!!!!

rheagrimm
10-04-07, 02:59 PM

Thats your fuel saving skip shift feature. You need to get a CAGS eliminator to be rid of the annoyance.

heavymetals
10-04-07, 03:40 PM
Thats your fuel saving skip shift feature. You need to get a CAGS eliminator to be rid of the annoyance.

Or you can get a Stealth tune and get that "feature" removed while you spruce up the tune.:thumbsup:

heavymetals
10-04-07, 03:43 PM
Oh yeah, old english motorcycles. How would like to own a CTS-V with 100% Lucas electrics?

There is a reason why they call LUCAS the "Prince of Darkness".

Albertan
10-04-07, 03:45 PM

Ah yes... Lucas "the prince of darkness" How fitting darkman, do you perhaps have something built in the UK???

darkman
10-04-07, 05:20 PM
Ah yes... Lucas "the prince of darkness" How fitting darkman, do you perhaps have something built in the UK???

Not currently. I did own one of the first Triumph 750cc, 3-cylinder Tridents imported into this country in the late 60's or 1970 (I forget which year). At the time I had friends with Triumph Bonnevilles, Royal Enfields, Nortons and one BSA.

Twitch
10-04-07, 05:59 PM
:cookoo:

NO WAY!!! I dont think I would even get on a bike like that.
Only been on Jap bikes,,,dont wanna think about how dumb I'd look. lol

BLACK_CTSV
10-04-07, 06:56 PM
I've got an older Ferrari - reverse is where 1st is on 99% of the other cars in the world. 1st is where 2nd should be, and so on. It is tough to get used to after driving a 'normal' car.

nxlr8
10-04-07, 07:33 PM
1) Bikes - I had mine swapped to shift 1st = up, all the other gears = down... Always caught me "thinking" when I rode someone else's which was "normal"...

2) Automatics - back in the day, drove my mom's car once... was coming to a stop and pushed in the "clutch"... only it was the brake... car came to a stop REAL quick and quite unexpected on my part! I think I even soiled my shorts a little...

Twitch
10-04-07, 07:55 PM
1) Bikes - I had mine swapped to shift 1st = up, all the other gears = down... Always caught me "thinking" when I rode someone else's which was "normal"...

2) Automatics - back in the day, drove my mom's car once... was coming to a stop and pushed in the "clutch"... only it was the brake... car came to a stop REAL quick and quite unexpected on my part! I think I even soiled my shorts a little...

I see you like the race bikes:cycle:

nxlr8
10-04-07, 11:36 PM
I see you like the race bikes:cycle:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/55872-v-your-cool-car-there-something-2.html#post704627