: All Season Tire Help

bsteven43
10-03-07, 01:41 PM
Guys - I've used the search and read plenty of tire discussions but I'm having trouble following the abbreviations that you guys use. I've got an '06V with original RS-A EMTs and they are bald. Winter is coming to Cleveland soon and I want to replace with non run-flat all-seasons. I stopped at my local tire dealer and he recommended Bridgeston Turanza ER33 245/45 R18 W96 for $1,200 installed. He said that we don't have a lot of choices. Can someone offer some ideas for other good all-seasons that would do the car justice and not break the bank?

SkullV
10-03-07, 01:57 PM
I like the idea of the Bridgestones, I have the Bridgestone Potenza RE060 Pole Position AS on mine and they are amazing all season tires, under a grand installed with tire warranty at discount tire. They even come with a 30k mile tread warranty!

mcfaddens17
10-03-07, 02:19 PM
Check out Tire Rack. Paid $149/tire for set of Dunlop SP SportMaxx(non-emt). At that time also had a $50 rebate on them. Had them shipped direct to Tire Kingdom who charged $17.50/tire to install. With the rebate, only cost me about $660 for everything. Great tire and I got over 50k miles on these same tires on my last car.

bsteven43
10-03-07, 04:22 PM
Guys - Tire rack has good prices on Yokahama AVID W45 and Avon Tech M550 in Z rated 245/45/18. Anyone have any experience with these tires?

Feffman
10-03-07, 11:35 PM
My first choice was the Potenza RE060 Pole Position AS but they were on back order so I went with the Yokohama Advan S4 and am very happy with it although I haven't driven them in snow yet. We don't get the snow Cleveland does though.

Feff

Slapshot
10-04-07, 05:13 PM
Try this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/54304-cts-v-snow.html

4 pages of discussion on driving the "V" in the white stuff...

Cheers.

Mystical_Ice
08-27-08, 01:33 PM
hate to bump this, buuuut:

very disappointed with the last tires i got. dunlop sport something or another, and i got less than 18,000 miles on them and all 4 are stripped bald.

looking for a tire with a tread warranty, and apparently the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Positions have a 40,000 mile tread warranty. very interested in them, and they're like $225 each.

my biggest requirement is a smooth ride... i don't care if they don't handle as well as PS2s, but i want a smooth and QUIET ride. anyone have any experience with them?

SkullV
08-27-08, 04:25 PM
looking for a tire with a tread warranty, and apparently the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Positions have a 40,000 mile tread warranty. very interested in them, and they're like $225 each.

my biggest requirement is a smooth ride... i don't care if they don't handle as well as PS2s, but i want a smooth and QUIET ride. anyone have any experience with them?

The Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Positions give a very nice ride and they are very quiet, I had about 9,000 miles on them when i took them off for the summer and they still looked new.

MOCTS-V
08-27-08, 09:11 PM
The Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Positions give a very nice ride and they are very quiet, I had about 9,000 miles on them when i took them off for the summer and they still looked new.

Add one to the Pridgestone RE960 A/S Pole Postions. I love em.

YoshiV
08-27-08, 09:21 PM
Check out Tire Rack. Paid $149/tire for set of Dunlop SP SportMaxx(non-emt). At that time also had a $50 rebate on them. Had them shipped direct to Tire Kingdom who charged $17.50/tire to install. With the rebate, only cost me about $660 for everything. Great tire and I got over 50k miles on these same tires on my last car.

The Dunlop SP SportMaxx is NOT an all season tire...nice in warm weather and occasional road course usage though. I'll be going with dedicated snow tires from Tire Rack on an extra set of rims. I live in Cleveland also and had snow tires on my last car...they perform much better than all seasons! And they can still be sporty tires, last set I had were Pirelli SnowSports...very nice and I couldn't believe how well they drove in the white stuff!!

...to the original poster...$1200 for anything installed = RIP OFF!!

JD03Cobra
08-28-08, 09:19 AM
My experience with all seasons tires in the snow has not been good. I wouldn't waste my money on them again. I guess it really depends on your winter and how much snow you get. In my case its snow tires in the winter and another set for the summer.

Bigron
08-28-08, 10:44 AM
I put these on the car and like them. Plus it has carbon fiber technology (whatever that means)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+All+Season

420 wear and good performance
Granted my V won't see the snow

Mystical_Ice
08-28-08, 03:05 PM

OK that's great to know. one thing though - you said you had the "RE060", but i was looking at the "RE960".

are they similar tires? the same?

thinking about getting them tomorrow...
i appreciate the help Skull.

darkman
08-28-08, 03:32 PM
OK that's great to know. one thing though - you said you had the "RE060", but i was looking at the "RE960".

are they similar tires? the same?

thinking about getting them tomorrow...
i appreciate the help Skull.

I think Skull meant RE960 and the RE060 was a typo. In any event, if you get them at a Houston area Discount Tire be sure to check their website because they have a Houston Area-only $50.00 coupon.

Rockafella
08-28-08, 04:31 PM
I bought a set of Goodyear F1 Allseasons about 2 months ago and have been happy with them. I wouldn't expect stellar performance in the snow from any of the allseasons mentioned.

Previous tire was a Cooper Zeon allseason. Nice tire for the budget minded.

SkullV
08-28-08, 05:09 PM
I think Skull meant RE960 and the RE060 was a typo. In any event, if you get them at a Houston area Discount Tire be sure to check their website because they have a Houston Area-only $50.00 coupon.

Yep, typo. Thanks Darkman.

Mystical_Ice
09-19-08, 06:27 PM
Just got 4 of these tires. Even with the discount, came to $1100+. I get back in the car when it's done, but decide to pull over and check the rims after a block (was in a big hurry). Every single rim has scratches between the lugs.. Every rim. So tomorrow I'll go in and raise hell.

I even said to the guy... "You're not going to scratch these, right?". "No sir, and if we do, we get one for you that's in new shape, even if we have to order them from the dealership"...

Well guess they'l be ordering me 4 new rims. This really pisses me off.

Some of the scraches are less than half an inch long, but still clearly visible if you look from 3 or 4 feet away. Several on each rim. Am I overreacting? Is demanding new rims unreasonable? All 4 of my rims were mint, except for one of them, that had a 2 inch scratch near the lip

:(

CtsVrod
09-19-08, 06:56 PM
Just got 4 of these tires. Even with the discount, came to $1100+. I get back in the car when it's done, but decide to pull over and check the rims after a block (was in a big hurry). Every single rim has scratches between the lugs.. Every rim. So tomorrow I'll go in and raise hell.

I even said to the guy... "You're not going to scratch these, right?". "No sir, and if we do, we get one for you that's in new shape, even if we have to order them from the dealership"...

Well guess they'l be ordering me 4 new rims. This really pisses me off.

Some of the scraches are less than half an inch long, but still clearly visible if you look from 3 or 4 feet away. Several on each rim. Am I overreacting? Is demanding new rims unreasonable? All 4 of my rims were mint, except for one of them, that had a 2 inch scratch near the lip

:(

If it bothers you that much I would DEF take it back... Especially considering you gave them fair warning, and they gave you a guarantee. Looks like you'll be getting some New Rims! :thumbsup:

Now Try and Convince them to let you keep the scratched ones :want:

Mystical_Ice
09-19-08, 08:09 PM
ehh i could care less if they take the scratched ones. shoot, if they pay to have them fixed, i'm fine with that too, you know. i don't REQUIRE new rims, i just REQUIRE them to look the same as they did before i paid them $1100...

MauiV
09-19-08, 11:23 PM
Ill take your scratched ones so I can powder coat em.

BTW, I am happy with my BFG g-Force All Season TA's