: warranty issues (first time, and already fighting with dealer)

Mystical_Ice
10-02-07, 10:32 PM
so i took the CTS-V in today. David Taylor Cadillac, here in Houston (the 2nd closest dealer to me). Dealt with Richard, who's the "master technician" or something like that. 11 years he's been there. First, i tell him about the parking brake not engaging. So he sits in the car (i'm standing outside), and KID YOU NOT, he starts trying to FIND the parking brake. after 10 seconds of him looking all over the place, i said "it's down on the bottom left. to the left of the clutch pedal". "where's the release?" (i point). he presses the parking brake down, then tries to release it. POP - the hood goes up. *shakes head*. anyway, he says the parking brake may not be covered under warranty. i asked him why, it's not a wear and tear item, shouldn't it be covered? No... apparently it's definately not, but he'll get his "brake guy" to look at it.

Second problem. Tire pressure sensors... i show him that on the dash 2 of them aren't even showing up. "Are these the original tires?"... yes... and original rims, i reply. Well they may need to be reprogrammed. Again...there's a cost associated with it. $25/sensor. I didn't even argue with him on that.

Next on the list of stuff-thats-broken-on-my-cadillac is the rear sail panel. I show him... again... might not be covered under warranty. At this point i asked him if there was anything on this car that was, in fact, covered under the warranty (i said it seriously... not joking), because everything i'd shown him so far was not a warranty item. I asked him if the transmission one day dropped out and rolled down the road, if i'd have to pay for that because the transmission mounts were wear and tear items too? I then told him that i knew for a FACT some of the items on the list other V owners had had problems with, and had been covered by the dealer. I asked him if i had to bring TSB#s (if that's what they're called?) for him to reference, but he said he has access to that already of course.

The only thing he DIDN'T argue with me about was the weather strip that goes above the windshield.

I had planned on taking it to him to get the T/C fixed, but as i was showing him... (turn engine on, double-click the T/C button, and competetive driving mode doesn't come on), it actually worked. i told him to scratch that off his list. lol.

First off, they have an Enterprise on-site; apparently GM reimburses the rental car charges, but i have to still pay taxes, insurance, etc... ehhh, who cares... $25/day or something like that. for 2 days, i'll do it. However, they had a whole line of Cadillac rentals in their lot, with 4 or 5 "other" cars. After they get my drivers license, insurance and stuff, they give me a selection to pick from... Pontiac G5, Chevy Cobalt, or PT Cruiser. i kid you not. I ask them "what about the 10 or 12 cadillacs on the lot? can't i have one of those?". i'm told that because i'm under 25 i'm not allowed to. Now GM didn't tell me when i paid cash for my cadillac, that i couldn't buy it because i was under 25... they were just fine with that, but when it comes time for me to use a rental car, suddenly i can't.

ehhh... *fumes*

SkullV
10-02-07, 10:41 PM
I had the same kind of problems out here with one dealor because I am young. I took it elsewhere and haven't had one problem. Some dealers just suck. I wish we could all have a Lindsay near us!

Mystical_Ice
10-02-07, 10:49 PM
i wish i could find a GOOD houston dealer that would work with me... :(

svassh
10-02-07, 11:03 PM
Sorry guys your dealer issues have nothing to do with your age. Most all of the Caddy dealers just plain suck. Now come in gray haired with a DTS and they know what to do with ya. But show up is a high performance car with a Chevy engine and they just scratch their heads.

They seem to think its better to play dumb and say something isn't covered in the hopes you will just go away.

V-Smooth
10-02-07, 11:06 PM
Boy, thats annoying Myst. I've had a couple issues where my dealer has had to keep my car for the day or overnight and I request a loaner - I refuse to pay for any of it. They always take care of me and thats why I send business their way. Two-way street. Sounds like its the dealer. Anywho, sorry to hear about all that BS.....

NormV
10-02-07, 11:21 PM
Reprogramming TPS is in the FAQ. Give it try. Talk to them like a grown up and they'll give a caddy. :)

Norm

tx_metabaron
10-02-07, 11:34 PM
i wish i could find a GOOD houston dealer that would work with me... :(
I've had only first class service from Stewart Cadillac.
Always get a recent CTS free of charge and it's ready for me in minutes.
You should give them a try.

CVP33
10-02-07, 11:43 PM
OK, don't argue with yet another dealer who really doesn't value your business. Pay all the bills, surcharges, extra fees, and bullshit tack-ons and then call Cadillac. For all my fighting with my local service centers, Cadillac made it right 80% of the time. Not worth the headache trying to educate these dealers, god knows I tried.

After 4 $50,000 Sports Sedans (2 CTS-V's, 2 SRT-8's) and 120,000+ miles, I can now admit that the joy or displeasure of owning these vehicles is proportional to the level of service you get from the dealer. Thankfully, I've found the "Lindsay" of the Chrysler world. I could tell you 5 stories about how good these guys are, but you guys don't give a shit about my Chrysler. :histeric:

onebadcad
10-03-07, 12:23 AM
M.I.,
Too bad your dealer blows, find another one, as this one fails to recognize that you have the potential to be a GM lifer. Do not pay for anything that they repair on the car, and hopefully someone will add to this post regarding the proper procedures for providing a loaner during overnight repair work-I think you should get a Caddy (I have in the past at two different dealerships) and the bill should be zero (My auto policy covers rentals, and the tax sounds like BS to me).

Mystical_Ice
10-03-07, 01:20 AM
well they said the car will be ready on Thursday more than likely.

Now they already have the car, but i doubt they did any work on it this afternoon, since i dropped it off with them at 4:00. Should i just wait for them to do the work this time around, and then call Cadillac? How will Cadillac reimburse me? Like you said onebadcad, i shouldn't have to pay a cent... if i buy a $54,000 car under warranty, then warranty should cover, i'd think, any non-wear and tear items.

Would calling Cadillac customer service and telling them (or just telling the dealer) that i'm 21 years old, and have owned 3 cadillacs, including a $50k+ CTS-V, and will never buy another GM product again if they don't work with me on this, carry any weight? do they really care?

Koooop
10-03-07, 01:25 AM
That has got to be the biggest load of dealer crap I've ever heard. Bring your Daddy.

Dealer replaced my P-Brake after my Daddy drove it 15 miles with the P-Brake on the day I bought it. No taxes on the rental, my choice of rental (I'm not 25 anymore).

EVERYTHING IS COVERED UNDER YOUR WARRANTY! Anything short is bullshit (except for abuse). Don't take this crap, I'd go in and just bitch up a storm until they try to throw you out or fix the busted stuff. I bought new cars when I was 17, I had to fight for my warranty work but I always won.

BULLSHIT I SAY!

(Stop bitching, you're still 25 so STFU)

Mystical_Ice
10-03-07, 01:38 AM
ok well what if when i go in there, and i've got a $650 bill (OK granted, i asked them to change my oil, but that shouldn't be more than $80 i wouldn't think)... what do i do... do i just pay it and then fight later? or do i fight right then and not pay for it (what if they won't give me my car keys then :(... i don't want to end up getting arrested for this).

Or do i ask them to call cadillac customer service while i'm there?!

Mystical_Ice
10-03-07, 01:42 AM
Reprogramming TPS is in the FAQ. Give it try. Talk to them like a grown up and they'll give a caddy. :)

Norm

i did talk to them like a grown up... i went in there with dress pants, shirt, and tie (had a meeting today), but even if i didn't... i shouldn't have to dress up and 'play the part' to get service.

shoot, the one guy behind the desk even followed me outside and asked me for a job. i don't think i had any trouble coming across as 'grown up'

urbanski
10-03-07, 07:49 AM
why did you even leave it there after all that?
everything you said is clearly warranty. come to Cavender here.

Mystical_Ice
10-03-07, 08:54 AM
yeah OK, well if all dealers don't act this way, then yeah, i'll call them today and tell them i want to pick the car up. i'll pay for the oil change.

thebigjimsho
10-03-07, 09:14 AM
Just be glad you got a rental car. Many places can't rent you a car if you're under 25 due to insurance purposes...

Cadillac Tony
10-03-07, 11:57 AM
Find another Dealer- that's totally unacceptable.

thefred
10-03-07, 02:27 PM
MI,

When I had a problem with a dealer with my CTS, I called Cadillac customer service before I went back to pick up the car. They called the dealership and got it worked out for me. I wouldn't get into your age and all that, just tell them that these should be warranty issues and you should not be charged. Then the dealer can try to explain why they are not warranty items to customer service who will hopefully tell themn that they are warranty items.

onebadcad
10-03-07, 02:41 PM
That has got to be the biggest load of dealer crap I've ever heard. Bring your Daddy.

Dealer replaced my P-Brake after my Daddy drove it 15 miles with the P-Brake on the day I bought it. No taxes on the rental, my choice of rental (I'm not 25 anymore).

EVERYTHING IS COVERED UNDER YOUR WARRANTY! Anything short is bullshit (except for abuse). Don't take this crap, I'd go in and just bitch up a storm until they try to throw you out or fix the busted stuff. I bought new cars when I was 17, I had to fight for my warranty work but I always won.

BULLSHIT I SAY!

(Stop bitching, you're still 25 so STFU)

Man, you are on fire!!!
Like your style, get what is your's in life, accept no substitute, keep calling until you get satisfaction. It ain't being a hardass, its called getting your money's worth.

Go get 'em M.I., and make sure they discount that oil change.

urbanski
10-03-07, 04:23 PM
either come here to Cavender, or PM ssmith100 and ask what dealer he uses...he has an "in" at houston area shop.

z06bigbird
10-03-07, 04:53 PM
why did you even leave it there after all that?
everything you said is clearly warranty. come to Cavender here.

Hey, that's my line (Cavender).

Mystical_Ice
10-04-07, 12:21 AM
so i wanted to give everyone the update...

i have a date thursday night, so i said to the guy (called him today) that i want to get the car back today (i don't want to push my luck and end up having to drive a Pontiac G5 to take a girl out...). I told him that if he's going to charge me for the tire pressure sensors and emergency brake fix, i'd just do it myself anyway. told him to fix the sail panels and the windshield weather strip, (which they did... both items say "repair and replace" on the ticket)

he did say that his brake guy looked at it, and said that the emergency brake DOES hold, and you're SUPPOSED to push it all the way to the floor (i guess i should just never park on an incline...) (also, when the guy pulled my car out of the body shop, i should say, he pulls it up to the building, leaves it in 1st, and doesn't engage the parking brake... thank goodness it didn't roll forwards. i would've cried). anyways, so total bill came to $72.xx... for the oil change and under-car lube or whatever else is on it. there's this complicated list of labor, reimbursements, etc. but bottom line was $72, and that sounded right, so i paid it... actually cheaper than he originally quoted me for the oil change *shrugs*

so i go inside the showroom and speak to this awesome 22 year old salesman... really cool guy. i tell him i want to see the 2008 CTS, fully loaded. he shows me a $45k one, and i fell in love. took it for a test drive. the highoutput V6 is awesome. nothing compared to our Vs, but not too far off to be honest :-/ he wanted to "get me in one today!", but i told him i'm sorry, until cadillac releases the 09 CTS-V, i'm not interested in the CTS base model.

i lied.

i'm very interested. is it bad i'm considering trading the V in for it? i mean, the top 3 best things i loved (outside of the general design, inside and out)
1) the key assembly... with the seperate fob
2) the DUAL sunroofs, front and back, with the motorized cover for them
3) the radio with its memory (can record radio stations, CDs, like a Tivo for radio!), and the ipod interface

overall i left david taylor cadillac satisfied. i'm sure if i fought with them enough they would've done the TPS and emergency brake under warranty. not cool that i ended up paying $76.xx in addition to the work that was done for the "rental car" (to cover taxes, insurance, etc... total nonsense)

Mystical_Ice
10-04-07, 12:22 AM
also, as i was waiting for them to pull my car out of the service bay, i saw this BEAUTIFUL girl walking between the service dept. and the dealer offices. i mean i've seen some good looking girls in my time, but this girl was just stunning. she walks into the office building. the salesman said she's in the 'internet sales' department... i asked him how i could get a job there.

Koooop
10-04-07, 03:25 AM
Just convince her to get on her knees... :thumbsup:

Mystical_Ice
10-04-07, 07:36 AM
lol naaa...

but seriously, she was supermodel material. the whole package, from body, hair, face, the works. HOWEVER, not enough to convince me to keep going back there :p

ewill3rd
10-04-07, 07:50 AM
Sounds like they did okay, but started off badly.
Did they fix any of the stuff under warranty?
Programming tire pressure sensors takes about 1 minute after you get the programming tool.
Did he really say $25 a wheel? Was that for replacement or programming? I am confused.

Also the rental car thing has nothing to do with GM. Those are the Enterprise rules, and I am surprised they rented you a car at all. It is not that they cannot rent you a Cadilllac, they aren't supposed to rent you a car at all I think. I don't honestly know because I refuse to use Enterprise ever again. Long story.
My personal opinion is that they suck.

CIWS
10-04-07, 08:45 AM
Local dealership charges 28.00 to reprogram the TPS (all of them), however once you read the procedure in the FAQ you'll see it's no big deal to do yourself and save the 25 bucks for the oil changes. Just make sure they don't / didn't put 8 quarts of oil in your "Cadillac V8"

The truth is most dealerships (Lindsay is an exception) just don't know the V very well and it's idiosyncrasies. If you find one that does, stay with them for service.

As far as the 08 CTS ? Go back and ask the salesman what ISN'T covered on the factory warranty and then explain to him why you're asking this after talking to his dealership's "Master Technician" with your car.

Mystical_Ice
10-04-07, 09:33 AM
lol yeah i should do that with the 08 CTS sales guy :p

the TPS i don't know... two of them show up on the display as "- - -". does that just require a reprogram?

ewill3rd
10-04-07, 09:54 AM
You can try to program them, if they won't program then they are bad and need to be replaced.

Mystical_Ice
10-04-07, 11:16 AM
yeah i'll try the programming i think.

Mystical_Ice
10-04-07, 04:48 PM
OK tried reprogramming. followed the instructions to the tee. everything worked just as the instructions said, except when i got to the 4th wheel (back left), after i let air out of it, the horn didn't sound. i waited 5 minutes, still nothing. tried the whole procedure again, and then a 3rd time. same results... so then i drove around with four "- - -"s instead of just two. after a few minutes though, the original two sensors started showing their pressures, but the two that weren't working are still showing "- - -"

Koooop
10-04-07, 05:10 PM
If you have had your tires replaced the shop may have broken one.

If you went to a spare in the trunk to get rid of the run flats like some of these cheap screws, maybe you have a sensor in your trunk.

If you are on the original tires it should be a warranty issue, either they work or they don't.

Mystical_Ice
10-04-07, 06:10 PM
yeah they're original tires and rims

ewill3rd
10-04-07, 06:15 PM
Sounds like you have a couple of bad sensors.
Should be a warranty issue if no one has removed the tires.

Koooop
10-04-07, 08:48 PM
And while you're back at the dealer you can go hit on the hottie! (Unless gay, but Cadillac Owners . com is cool with that)

GMBOUND
10-04-07, 10:11 PM
Is David Taylor the one off of I-10 near all the damn construction???
I went there before, they did fairly decent when I went. The only problem was the long wait. It was a Saturday and I wanted the car fixed then.
I also stopped by Tom Peacock. They seemed a lil cooler.
All you can do is Trial and Error though.

I did the same thing in KC. I found a cool Service Manager in Lawrence, KS but it was about a 30min drive. Then I found the V- Master Tech and another cool Service Manager in KC,MO and I've been there every since. Just keep looking

Mystical_Ice
10-04-07, 10:20 PM
And while you're back at the dealer you can go hit on the hottie! (Unless gay, but Cadillac Owners . com is cool with that)

naaa, she's probably a) married, b) way too old, and even failing those two, i can't rely on the "hop in my cadillac" line... because she works at a cadillac dealership :thepan:

Koooop
10-05-07, 12:51 AM
So take the '59, I hoping that's short deck coupe.

Mystical_Ice
10-05-07, 01:58 AM
hmm? what about the 59?

Feffman
10-05-07, 10:59 AM
Off to my dealer today for presumably a new motor mount and to fix a loose driver's side head rest. I'll report back on Warranty America's willingness to pay. According to my warranty contract, this should all be covered for my 2004.

Feff (With Fingers Crossed)

Mystical_Ice
10-05-07, 11:22 AM
GMBOUND: the one off I10 west is McGinnis. David Taylor is 59south, right inside the beltway

Koooop
10-05-07, 03:39 PM
hmm? what about the 59?

Your cars owned shows a 59 Series 62... That would impress any employee at the Caddy dealer. (I just really like the short deck coupes, since the convertibles are just STUPID expensive).

Put up some pics.

z06bigbird
10-05-07, 07:35 PM
also, as i was waiting for them to pull my car out of the service bay, i saw this BEAUTIFUL girl walking between the service dept. and the dealer offices. i mean i've seen some good looking girls in my time, but this girl was just stunning. she walks into the office building. the salesman said she's in the 'internet sales' department... i asked him how i could get a job there.

That was my mother. She was in Houston for some plastic surgery.

Mystical_Ice
10-05-07, 07:38 PM
your mother's not in her mid 20s ;)

Kooop: the 59 series 62 is under construction. i'll post up some pics of previous 59 cadillacs owned by my family (in particular my dad and i) tomorrow sometime.

also, chances are 90% of cadillac dealership employees wouldn't even recognize a 1959 cadillac as being a 'cadillac'... sad but true.

Koooop
10-05-07, 08:23 PM
Everyone knows those fins and bullet tail lights!

Drool, drool.

Mystical_Ice
10-06-07, 01:38 AM
... you'd be surprised.

Feffman
10-23-07, 11:57 PM
The V is at the dealer doing some warranty work. I've an extended warranty through Warranty America who is sending an investigator out tomorrow about the front bushings, leaking motor mounts and mysterious(??) rear end whine. Should be interesting to hear what they say.

Feff

Koooop
10-24-07, 12:37 AM
Good luck with that aftermarket warranty.

Mystical_Ice
01-02-08, 12:41 PM
Hate to 'resurrect' this thread, but i just wanted to say that dealing with Debbie at Tom Peacock Cadillac is the best thing that's ever happened to me. Took the car to them a few days ago, and she just called me back to tell me the outcome. below are the problems, and then the solutions that she said they'd come up with:
1) Tire pressure sensors - 2 of them not working. Solution: replaced non-working ones, and reprogrammed.
2) traction control system working erratically. Solution: found a short in the T/C system. repaired.
3) squeaking noise coming from rear view mirror sometimes. Solution: order brand new rearview mirror :)
4) squeaking coming from front right door sometimes. Solution: put insulation in ALL THE DOORS!!!

So yeah, i guess it really does matter what dealership you bring it to. all of this was no questions asked, just took it in, with a list of the problems printed out, and they did the rest.

so i'm happy with GM again :)

bossplayer
01-02-08, 01:02 PM
Hate to 'resurrect' this thread, but i just wanted to say that dealing with Debbie at Tom Peacock Cadillac is the best thing that's ever happened to me. Took the car to them a few days ago, and she just called me back to tell me the outcome. below are the problems, and then the solutions that she said they'd come up with:
1) Tire pressure sensors - 2 of them not working. Solution: replaced non-working ones, and reprogrammed.
2) traction control system working erratically. Solution: found a short in the T/C system. repaired.
3) squeaking noise coming from rear view mirror sometimes. Solution: order brand new rearview mirror :)
4) squeaking coming from front right door sometimes. Solution: put insulation in ALL THE DOORS!!!

So yeah, i guess it really does matter what dealership you bring it to. all of this was no questions asked, just took it in, with a list of the problems printed out, and they did the rest.

so i'm happy with GM again :)

Wow, great dealer. I would buy a 2009 V from them....

urbanski
01-02-08, 05:04 PM
have you posted the good and bad dealer reviews in the dealer forum?
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-dealership-reviews/

JBCTSV
01-02-08, 06:04 PM
Definitely find another dealer! That is inexcusable. I just took mine in for service at Rodgers Cadillac in Knoxville Tn and they covered everything under the warranty and treated me like a king.

I would also lodge a formal complaint with the GM Rep in the area as well.

Good luck!

thebigjimsho
01-02-08, 09:43 PM
Definitely find another dealer! That is inexcusable. I just took mine in for service at Rodgers Cadillac in Knoxville Tn and they covered everything under the warranty and treated me like a king.

I would also lodge a formal complaint with the GM Rep in the area as well.

Good luck!Can I borrow your time machine?

Mystical_Ice
01-03-08, 03:01 AM
naaa poor guy. he didn't know that i'd resurrected it. it's my fault :)

and urbanski, i'm posting there right now

GMBOUND
01-03-08, 04:25 AM
I was at Tom Peacock the day after Christmas with my Aunt and Uncle, I was getting them into a 08 CTS. They're miles above David Taylor. The Service area (drive through) is even better.

Mystical_Ice
01-03-08, 11:10 AM
yeah i love it. great place.

did they ever get the 08 CTS?