: My road rage story

Seattle CTS-V
10-02-07, 12:04 PM
Yesterday I gave in to a bit of road rage - which I regret a little bit. The story goes...

Coming home from a long 7-5 day. I wasn't exceptionally tired, but a little bit moody. There is a very long lane (about a mile long) where you line up to get off one hwy and get onto another hwy. For those locals, its the 167N to 405N exit. Anyway, usually it takes about 10-15 max to get onto 405N but last night it took nearly 40 minutes. This put me into a sorta bad mood altogether and it was made worse b/c a bunch of cars were using the HOV lane to cut the entire 40 minutes of backup and merging right in front of me. The type that just put on their blinker and start coming over whether I give them space or not. This really puts me in a bad mood. Come to find out later there was a roll-over accident.

Anyway, about 10 minutes up 405N a little Mazda 3 merged onto the hwy from the right and quickly swerved through the right lane and cut right in between me and the car in front in our left lane. Now, I probably only had about 4 car lengths btwn me and the car I had been following, so I had to brake. I looked around and noticed that there wasn't really any traffic for about a 1/4 mile in front or behind us. The Mazda didn't really even have anyone in the merging lane. There was no reason it did what it just did. It just decided to cut me off for no apparant reason. And that's when it happened - I got pissed. Nothing additional happened, I just decided that 'NO!' - that wasn't ok to cut me off! So I start tailgating the Mazda really hard. It went around the car in front of it to the left and tried to speed ahead but, come on, a Mazda isn't going to get away from me. I continued to let off and then charge up on it. It stayed in the right lane trying to speed away so I cut back to the left and drove until I reach the cars up ahead. There were cars going the same speed in both lanes so the Mazda had to slow up when it reached the vehicles. The next thing blew my mind. It put on it's blinker and proceeded to come into my lane even though my front bumper was at it's rear bumper. I tried to be brave and not move - a form of chicken I guess - but I didn't think this car was going to stop coming. So I went into the leftmost HOV lane. This really made me furious that the car would knowingly try to run into me. So I looked over and saw the driver for the first time. It was a 20-something little blond chick w/ glasses. I rolled down the window and started just cussing and pointing and cussing some more. She never looked over but just kept flipping me off. I finally had had enough so I took off in the HOV lane and merged over up ahead of traffic.

And then...I noticed that the SUV in my rear view had blue and red lights on the top! I had seen it waaaaaay back by the 167-405 exit on the side of the road. How he caught up me us I have no idea but, there he was. I slowed to about 65mph or so and just tried to play innocent. Meanwhile, the Mazda had gotten around traffic and passed me going no less than 70mph. The speed limit is 60. It continued up a 1/8 mile or so until it came up on traffic. So the SUV cop stayed in lane next to me for about a 1/4-1/2 mile so I thought I was going to be ok. He was just trying to scare me. And then suddenly slowed down and merged in behind me and turned his lights on. Damnit! By this time I had completely calmed down and started realizing how stupid it was to road rage this stupid F'in chick in her POS Mazda (sorry to Mazda owners - they're not bad cars). I pulled over Baby-V, turned off the engine, rolled down my window and put my hands on the steering wheel. The cop came up to my window. He was about 30 yrs old.

The first words out of his mouth were 'how old is your car?'

I replied '2 years old'

He said 'you take good car of it. I could hear your exhaust about an 1/8th mile back. It sounded amazing.'

He then proceeded to ask me if I knew the Mazda driver and it we were racing. I said no and explained how she had cut me off and how I regret getting enraged. I explained the traffic backup and blah, blah, blah. He took my info back to his SUV and came back promptly w/o just a verbal warning to keep it cool. We talked a few more minutes about the V and the mods done to it. I told him I tracked the car and he was pretty impressed. He commented that I should try to be safer so as not the scratch my car. He said 'you probably have $80k in that thing and I'd hate to see you bang it up'. I was pretty impressed that he thought this car cost that much. I told him it could be had for ALOT less if he bought an '05. He went back to his car and I went home to my little baby boy.

That's when it really hit me how stupid my response to the Mazda's actions were. She was indeed in the wrong but I should have just left it to "car"ma, or karma, and went about my business.

Anyway, the lesson to be learned in this story is...the CTS-V gets mad respect from the police. Sometimes it'll even get you out of a reckless-driving ticket!

Do I get rep points for my longest post ever? :hide:

nikon
10-02-07, 12:38 PM
well at least you agree that you should just let karma take care of things, that's usually what I try to do.....but, obviously we know how you feel, I however would be more pissed if I also got stopped by a cop...but hey at least you kept your cool....points! :p

whisler151
10-02-07, 12:44 PM
That crap bugs me too. You got lucky with the cop. Damn the 405!

TXSilverV
10-02-07, 12:47 PM
I do a really funny thing when that happens to me. I get in front and slow down a bit and get them close, once they are close I wash my windows! It never fails as it always will spray water all over there car as well. Ever time I have done that they slow down and have to use there wipers. Just makes me laugh every time and that is how I deal with my road rage.

GMBOUND
10-02-07, 12:51 PM
Good thing you didn't rag on his high school!

whisler151
10-02-07, 12:52 PM
I do a really funny thing when that happens to me. I get in front and slow down a bit and get them close, once they are close I wash my windows! It never fails as it always will spray water all over there car as well. Ever time I have done that they slow down and have to use there wipers. Just makes me laugh every time and that is how I deal with my road rage.

:histeric: I am so doing that next time I'm being tailgated!

z06bigbird
10-02-07, 12:58 PM
Aside from the "rare???" road rage you described, you sound like a real gentleman. I congratulate you for coming to your senses. (That was not a backhanded compliment.)

Others would have continued until we see them on the 10 pm news. Your change of attitude was obvious to the LEO.

Good job, man.

Just one correction. Mazda's ain't that good. Like Tauruses, the transmissions fail at about 100,000. I also hear that they cannot be rebuilt.

whisler151
10-02-07, 01:06 PM
Thank God that Big Bird is here to keep us morally and ethically grounded with his random posts.

rand49er
10-02-07, 01:31 PM
Been there, done that.

You're a good man, Seattle. :cool2:

Seattle CTS-V
10-02-07, 02:11 PM

That's awesome. If it's daytime, turn on your lights so the headlamp washers come on too! That'll give them a much broader spray!

coati
10-02-07, 02:18 PM
Thanks for sharing your story with us.
It's good to know that you're "man" enough to admit that you were wrong.
I'm sure you've learned a valuable lesson from this experience & you'll be better for it in the future.
Good job:thumbsup:

heavymetals
10-02-07, 02:43 PM
Your story reminded me of why I don't carry a gun in the car (well most of the time :shhh:).

It says a lot about maturity when you can just take a deep breath, grit your teeth and move on.

Not worth losing your temper or control and having family or friends over on "visiting day".

odla
10-02-07, 02:43 PM
nice ending. ive too been on that road. it does get backed up at the 5:00 rush. trust me people in seattle drive like angels compared to some of the other places that ived live. But just realize that if its a waste of time to get mad at people that dont know how to drive. im glad that you had a good endding, because i know a few peolpe that have lost more than there cars due to road rage.

pietroraimondi
10-02-07, 03:07 PM
Very good story to read because there is not one of us that has not been in a similiar situation.

And it's true that if you do enough driving on congested highway's your bound to encounter poor inattentive drivers that don't "share the road" and it's quite easy to get "hooked" and lose sight of what's really important and that's getting home to your family in one piece to your family.

The fact that the LEO stopped you was really a good thing in hindsight as it gave you a moment of clarity and more than likely prompted you to share your story.

The point is that you'll never know why some people drive and do the inconsiderate things that they do on the road.

Are they under the influence on drugs or alcohol?
Are they fleeing a situation?
Are they experiencing a medical emergency and don't know to put on their hazard lights?
Or are they just inconsiderate as most probably are?

The point is that you don't know what this persons value system is and whether or not they have a gun in their car or whether or not that person would simply ram into you and keep on driving and you really don't want to find out and then have your story told on the evening news.

It's difficult sometimes, but in the larger scheme of things; it's always best to just to take a deep breath and decompress.

Don't ever let anyone get you to the emotional point where you risk your own personal safety and property over theirs.

Very good story....thanks for sharing.

onebadcad
10-02-07, 03:22 PM
Damn, I thought the ending was going to be you and the Blondie made up at the next rest area-JK. I, too, get ticked off by some drivers' antics, but never enough to take action. In SoFlo, be careful who you get mad at, as many, very many, carry guns, legally or not.

Seattle CTS-V
10-02-07, 03:40 PM
Damn, I thought the ending was going to be you and the Blondie made up at the next rest area-JK. I, too, get ticked off by some drivers' antics, but never enough to take action. In SoFlo, be careful who you get mad at, as many, very many, carry guns, legally or not.

Yikes, most of the comments from you guys in Florida scare me. Drivers sound pretty scary.

onebadcad
10-02-07, 06:51 PM
We have many angry people on our roads. Read on:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18665115/

nevaland9
10-02-07, 07:49 PM
Next time do what i do..you can out accel them and out break them, run them off the road.
I had to do it to a crazy possibly drunk mini van driver the other night who tried to pass up the middle between me and my buddy on a 2 lane highway and then started swerving into out cars. So when we merged onto the next highway i pulled up along side them and didnt let them in, to my suprise it was some young kid laughing his brains out and then BAM, the merging lane ended haha.

DILLIGAF
10-02-07, 07:57 PM
Nothing gives me more pleasure than seeing how close I can get to some @hole in my pick-up that has cut me off.Good stuff!Only second to driving on to the shoulder to throw road gravel or perhaps dislodge a monster dirt clod on the @hole tail gaiting me.

05cts-v
10-02-07, 09:21 PM

I'll be giving this a try next time a s well.

Todd3544
10-02-07, 09:40 PM
Your actions are what I believe most of us do... I have started putting my car in reverse at stop lights when people get right on my bumper, I then sit there till the light turns yellow, then I take off leaving them sitting there through another cycle. Its hilarious watching them freak out cause I'm now in reverse and then how pissed they get when they can't get around me to go throught the light.. $..ew em...

NormV
10-02-07, 10:12 PM
Your a road course guy, drive around them and be done. No need to be pulled down to their level. Spank them hard and swiftly, then back to the speed limit. They'll just cruise by in awe. Just nod as they go by. You'll rule!

Norm