: Terrifying Tune Up

Vesicant
04-24-04, 06:39 PM
Alright, so here we are... almost done with the tuneup on the truck
(1998 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 w/5.7), got new cap/rotor, wires, airfilter... then putting on the sparkplugs.

On the right side of the engine, my brother in law (helping) didnt understand how the torque wrench was to be adjusted, since the plugs require 15 ft/lbs (Bosch Platinum +2's)... apparently it was set on 50 ft/lbs and he broke off the #2 cylinder's sparkplug. Now the rest of it is stuck in the head and were now in the process of taking the cylinder head off. At this moment im taking a break from the job but work still has to be done.

Funny how a simple tune up (usually) turns into a partial nightmare, right now im just hoping we can get the sparkplug remainder out of the head. :bonkers: :bonkers: :bonkers: :bonkers: Atleast theres adequate space to work on it from the top without lifting it.

Good thing we still have sunday!!

Ralph
04-24-04, 06:56 PM
Alright, so here we are... almost done with the tuneup on the truck
(1998 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 w/5.7), got new cap/rotor, wires, airfilter... then putting on the sparkplugs.

On the right side of the engine, my brother in law (helping) didnt understand how the torque wrench was to be adjusted, since the plugs require 15 ft/lbs (Bosch Platinum +2's)... apparently it was set on 50 ft/lbs and he broke off the #2 cylinder's sparkplug. Now the rest of it is stuck in the head and were now in the process of taking the cylinder head off. At this moment im taking a break from the job but work still has to be done.

Funny how a simple tune up (usually) turns into a partial nightmare, right now im just hoping we can get the sparkplug remainder out of the head. :bonkers: :bonkers: :bonkers: :bonkers: Atleast theres adequate space to work on it from the top without lifting it.

Good thing we still have sunday!!

That happened to me once with my old Pontiac! Fortunately only the porcelan part broke off the top of the plug and I could still get the plug out to replace it.

Another time with the same car, I was changing the thermostat, and broke one of the two housing bolts sheer off! :rolleyes2 I had to drive it to a machine shop on the far side of town with coolant spewing all over the street until I got there.(because I had loosened the bolt a little before it broke) They had to take off the intake manifold and the heads to get at it properly :hmm:

Good luck, and let us know!

Vesicant
04-24-04, 10:37 PM
I fr*@#*@king hate it when such simple things you try to do on cars, always turns into a HUGE thing. I should have stopped him when he said it was feeling like it was too much for just sparkplugs.... then *Crack* the porcelain breaks off leaving the other half of the sparkplug in the head without the threads showing or anything enough to grip it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Ralph
04-24-04, 11:00 PM
I fr*@#*@king hate it when such simple things you try to do on cars, always turns into a HUGE thing. I should have stopped him when he said it was feeling like it was too much for just sparkplugs.... then *Crack* the porcelain breaks off leaving the other half of the sparkplug in the head without the threads showing or anything enough to grip it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Sounds like machine shop time!!?? Hopefully it can be driled out then re-threaded, but the head will probably have to come off?? It would be pretty damn hard to drill that, much like my thermostat bolt.

Vesicant
04-24-04, 11:10 PM
See, if you drill it... it will most likely go through the whole sparkplug and leave what fell off inside the cylinder chamber ... which is why the head must come off to get a better hold of it or have it machined... or just get new heads altogether .. (tuneup was the first stage to fully customizing the engine .. hp wise; planned upgrades were in the future like new cam, etc etc. tHe works)