: Had Enough... Changing Dealers (DFW)

fredcook
10-02-07, 12:27 AM
Had the V in again.... humming rear end, coolant smell and still having issues getting into 1st from time to time.

They replaced the rear end, no questions asked.

However, despite the obvious coolant smell, they say there aren't any leaks. So no resolution there.

They again told me that what feels like the clutch sticking is "normal". When it gets warmed up, I have to fight to get into 1st at a standstill. Clutch fully depressed, trying to go into 1st, and the car rolls forward as I press the shifter forward... WITHOUT engaging 1st, WITHOUT releasing the clutch. Workaround... engage 3rd, witch makes the drive-line jump as the trans' internals stop spinning. The cars been in the shop 4 times for this now.

Here's the techs input (verbatim from the ticket, with typos)...

CUST STS HAS TROUBLE GETTING CAR INTO 1ST GEAR
THIS TRANS HAS A DUBBLE LOCKING SYSTEM ON 1 TO 4TH AND REVERSE AND AT TIMES WILL BE HARD TO GET INTO GEAR IF SETTING AT A LIGHT AND PUSH IN CLUTC AND GO TO FIRST IT MAY NOT GO THIS IS NORMAL FOR TGHIS TRANS

Normal my behind! They tell me it's normal to have traffic honk while I'm trying to get the car moving? I even brought it in with my CAGS eliminator installed to demonstrate it isn't the 1-4 shift solenoid... or "dubble locking system", as they call it.

Then as icing on the cake, I see my lateral G gauge (which I recently reset, and was at .5x both ways), is now at .74 and .78. Hope they enjoyed the joy ride.

Goodbye James Wood, Hello Sewel Grapevine (at the recommendation of DFW V owners)...

(Whew... I feel better after ranting)

Chef
10-02-07, 12:31 AM
Fred...I like that you're a cook too.

Blip your throttle while in first - take it up to about 3-4k and it should work...

darkman
10-02-07, 08:18 AM
When my 05V is parked, I can put it into any gear, from any other gear including neutral whether the engine is running, not running, warm or cold, blipped or not blipped. This is the same as every other of several manual transmission cars and trucks that I have owned and I consider anything less as unacceptable.

rand49er
10-02-07, 08:39 AM
If THAT dealer put a new diff in, make sure they put the right diff fluid in including the additive. They don't sound too up-to-speed.

Mystical_Ice
10-02-07, 10:05 AM
Then as icing on the cake, I see my lateral G gauge (which I recently reset, and was at .5x both ways), is now at .74 and .78. Hope they enjoyed the joy ride.

tell them they have one shot to fix any and all problems on the car or you'll take them to court and/or destroy their reputation.

CIWS
10-02-07, 12:59 PM
It's James Wood..... He's a Chevy GMC Cadillac dealership in the Denton area.

The one way I've found to get into 1st after a stop that seems to be working 98% of the time, is depressing the clutch twice vs just stepping on the clutch and seeing if it goes into first. If I'm at a stop, know I want to be in first, and want to make sure I get it, I go ahead and just do it twice. So far it's working for me. (building pressure up?)

svassh
10-02-07, 01:13 PM
It's James Wood..... He's a Chevy GMC Cadillac dealership in the Denton area.

The one way I've found to get into 1st after a stop that seems to be working 98% of the time, is depressing the clutch twice vs just stepping on the clutch and seeing if it goes into first. If I'm at a stop, know I want to be in first, and want to make sure I get it, I go ahead and just do it twice. So far it's working for me. (building pressure up?)

Good article for you here Matt:

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

darkman
10-02-07, 01:56 PM

Good information. Thank you.

fredcook
10-02-07, 02:17 PM
Sooo... driving around at lunch today... happens again.

Here's what I tried while it was happening. While stopped, clutch out, I try to shift into first. Naturally, it won't go because I don't have the clutch depressed (as expected). As I apply some pressure to the shifter, the car slowly creeps forward. I stop the car, then I press in the clutch, and again try to engage first... same result... it won't go into first, I apply pressure to the shifter, and the car begins to creep forward (but never goes into gear). It seems simple to me... the clutch isn't disengaging completely. (I'm beginning to sound like a broken record). Now I just need to figure out why.

svassh... that was a good link. I may try that. Thanks!

VCAT
10-02-07, 03:30 PM
I'm sure you have already tried this but just my opinion, sounds like you got a syncro prob, have you tried shifting into 3rd then 4th, then try putting it into 1st? just my 2 cents. good luck.

fredcook
10-02-07, 04:36 PM
I'm sure you have already tried this but just my opinion, sounds like you got a syncro prob, have you tried shifting into 3rd then 4th, then try putting it into 1st? just my 2 cents. good luck.

That's how I get things going. It still resists going into 2 or 3, but instead of the car rolling forward, it jumps a little (along with a significant thud as the drive train closes slack). That gets the internals to stop spinning, and I can throw it into 1st.

BTW, the syncs were replaced about 12k miles ago.

CIWS
10-02-07, 06:42 PM

Thanks man, good article. I'll give it a go :thumbsup: