: noobie questions

loose nut
10-01-07, 09:00 PM
Hi guys, great place here.
I'm a new to me N* owner, I recently picked up a 99, STS with 65k miles.
I love it, dang nice car and a freaking blast to drive, but you all know that.

Anyway, shortly after I got it, It developed HG problems:banghead:
And in my search for options for repairing it I came across an 03, N* in a GM crash tested car with incredibly low miles(I don't know if it is an S'ville or a D'ville). I can get the whole car for not much more than it cost me for the HG replacement in my 99.
What my intentions would be is to transplant the 03, N* into a fibreglass bodied Jeep CJ7 project. 275/300 HP in a fairly light and short wheel based Jeep should be a incredible blast...
But where do I find some of the basic components for the longitudinally mounted conversion? I have read that the bell housing on a 2.8, V6 sourced 700R4 needs to have a starter pocket welded in for the N* starter, is there a source for this piece and info on how it's located on the bell housing?
Also, what have other people done for motor mounts for in a rear wheel drive type swap?
Also, has anybody ever put a manual transmission behind one of these things? is there a source for manual flywheels? And I have seen/heard of a company that makes carburated intake manifolds for N*s, but haven't found the name, who is it?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
Loose Nut

Submariner409
10-01-07, 09:23 PM
Isn't the '03 starter still under the intake distribution plenum, in the valley? As far as twisting a transverse N* into longitudinal, there's not a lot of help here...you'll need to go to a very specialized builder for one-off parts. Better to go with a known aftermarket conversion. Cheaper, too. Don't forget... the water pump on a transverse N* is on what would be the (new) rear of the engine, and that's only the beginning. Sure, it can be done, but why?

MM STS
10-01-07, 09:27 PM
Not too sure what a blown HG has to do with a transplant into a Jeep. Maybe you needed to ask about the transplant before the first car was purchased. Mike

caddydaddy
10-01-07, 09:42 PM
Isn't the '03 starter still under the intake distribution plenum, in the valley?

I think what he means is that since the Northstar starter is at the top of the flywheel, a different transmission will have to be notched at the top of the bellhousing to allow the starter nose to fit.
I don't think a Northstar would be my choice for a Jeep conversion. For a TON less money, a small block could be put in, that makes a LOT more power! Or if you really want a Cadillac engine, I've seen the CJs with Cadillac 472s and 500s!
If you really want a Northstar in a Jeep, it can be done, but it will be a big project with minimal rewards.

loose nut
10-02-07, 08:15 AM
If you have to ask why? you just don't understand...

The N* is smooth light and powerful, especially for it's displacement.
I can get the whole Test car for less than a GM crate 350 with similar HP/TQ numbers, and it's lighter and cooler.
Yes there are a few oddities to deal with like the water pumps and bell housings etc.
This Jeep will be light, about 3000 lbs hopefully less.

And BTW, I have found a place place that caters to my sickness.
www.chrfab.com

Later,
Loose Nut

Submariner409
10-02-07, 09:38 AM
Do a couple of searches in here, for CHRFAB and N* engine mods. You may get the "whole car" cheap, but you're in for a rude shock when it comes to aftermarket one-off parts. No one said you can't do it.....It's just that there are better choices for more reliable ways to get to Heaven.

caddydaddy
10-02-07, 10:44 AM
If you have to ask why? you just don't understand...

Oh, I understand why! I'm still trying to figure out how to put a Cad 472 in my motorcycle! :)

The N* is smooth light and powerful, especially for it's displacement.
]

That is true, but all it's power is up in the higher RPMs. Which doesn't make it an ideal engine for a Jeep that needs low RPM torque for crawling.