: Ugh.. Broken drill bit.......

eldorado1
04-24-04, 01:49 PM
I somehow managed to break the drillbit off in my northstar's head, as I was drilling for the 96 intake... Question is now, how can I remove it without damaging anything? :annoyed: I'm seriously starting to consider swapping the 96 heads over.........:banghead:

bob2231
04-24-04, 02:01 PM
I somehow managed to break the drillbit off in my northstar's head, as I was drilling for the 96 intake... Question is now, how can I remove it without damaging anything? :annoyed: I'm seriously starting to consider swapping the 96 heads over.........:banghead: If it's exposed at all you can try vice-grips. If not, cut the tips of needle nose pliers, strong tweezers, etc. to fit the flutes of the drill. The grooves. You need to gently rock and turn it counter clockwise at the same time. Try tapping straight down on it to break the point loose. Tapping, not pounding !
Also you can take a punch and try to turn the drill, but that sometimes egg shapes the hole.
Some parts stores(NAPA) carry a tool called a tap extractor. You can try that but it's not easy.
If the drill has started to cut through and you can flip the head avoer, you can also try tapping with a punch in the center of the hole. You just need to break the point loose.
Good luck.
Bob

dloch
05-04-04, 11:43 AM
I somehow managed to break the drillbit off in my northstar's head, as I was drilling for the 96 intake... Question is now, how can I remove it without damaging anything? :annoyed: I'm seriously starting to consider swapping the 96 heads over.........:banghead:

Did you get the broken drill bit out?? Did you break the small one drilling for the additional holes?

eldorado1
05-04-04, 10:22 PM
Did you get the broken drill bit out?? Did you break the small one drilling for the additional holes?
No. Yes. I gave up. Since it didn't affect the old intake, I just put everything back together, and put it on ebay... Got a spare 95+ engine for me? :yawn: