: SRX - The Solution To Unlock Navigation While Driving

jdawg757
10-01-07, 03:14 PM
Here are the simple instructions to use your navigation system while the car is in drive:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/33355d1184983354-unlock-navigation-while-driving-03-dts-map-view.jpg
1. With the GPS already in map mode, select the ROUTE button.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/33349d1184982032-unlock-navigation-while-driving-03-dts-motion.jpg
2. At this point if you are in motion, only the “ROUTE PREFERENCES” option will be available. Now hold your finger in lower-right corner of the screen for about 8 seconds. There is a hidden button there.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/33350d1184982066-unlock-navigation-while-driving-03-dts-hot-spot-menu.jpg
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/33351d1184982183-unlock-navigation-while-driving-03-dts-run-button.jpg
3. You will hear a beep and be presented with a menu that has ten options. Select the RUN button, it will remain highlighted. I don’t know if this is a defect just on my unit or they are all like this, but my “RETURN” button is partially underneath the clock. It is very tricky, but if you slide your finger upward while pressing the screen, you can select the RETURN button. This may take some practice if your system is the same as mine. Warning: Don’t mess around with any option unless you know what you’re doing.
You have been warned!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/33354d1184982352-unlock-navigation-while-driving-03-dts-all-options.jpg
4. At this point you should see all the navigation options while the car is in motion. Your passenger can now input an address or POI while you’re driving and keeping your eyes on the road ;- )

You don't need to be in motion to unlock the hidden options but you will have to repeat these steps each time you start the car.

Dislclaimer: I am not responsible for YOUR actions. :tisk:

urbanski
10-01-07, 03:37 PM
thanks

TSS
10-01-07, 03:41 PM
What year and model is that NAV system out of?

vdo
10-01-07, 04:01 PM
Thanks for posting this. I'll give it a try later. Much props to you if it works. Some of us having been waiting over three years for this day. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sgilbert
10-01-07, 04:10 PM
My '04 looks different, but I'm headed out to the car right now to try it! :fingerscrossed

sgilbert
10-01-07, 05:18 PM
It Works!!! Hoooray!

Jdawg, You are a great man! The "Holy Grail" has been found!

Thank you tremendously!

Gatha
10-01-07, 09:17 PM
I have a 2007 SRX and it sounds like the layout of the navigation system is different in this model. What year is your SRX and has this been tried on a 2007 model?

Butch

Autobahn_Burner
10-02-07, 08:07 AM
In my opinion, using the good ol' 1791 code is much easier than the touch screen walk-around. Plus the 1791 code lets me view movies while in motion. The coolest by far is to watch music-video DVD's at night while driving. The Drivers next me are impressed. Way cool. Like watching MTV on a dark and lonly highway - this feater I love most with my SRX period.

TSS
10-02-07, 08:56 AM
Code does not work past 2004 and if NAV is ever replaced or worked on by GM, they eliminate the code from working. You are one of the few lucky who can still use the code.

If this new method works with post 2004 models, it is the holy grail!!!

vdo
10-02-07, 09:26 AM
In my opinion, using the good ol' 1791 code is much easier than the touch screen walk-around. Plus the 1791 code lets me view movies while in motion. The coolest by far is to watch music-video DVD's at night while driving. The Drivers next me are impressed. Way cool. Like watching MTV on a dark and lonly highway - this feater I love most with my SRX period.The 1791 code only allows you to watch DVDs while the vehicle is in motion. It does not let you input routing information for the navigation while in motion. These are two different procedures to unlock two different things.

As for the hidden Nav menu, I concur that it does indeed work. While playing with it last night, I also found another hidden menu. While in the secret blue "Denso Diagnostic" screen, you can touch the lower left-hand corner for two seconds to bring up another navigation diagnostic screen with more buttons. There's a button to see the real-time GPS coordinates for the vehicle and another button to see the gyro data. Coooool :cool2:.

XTSman
10-02-07, 09:37 AM
SWEET! Great find, jdawg, how did you find this?

TSS
10-02-07, 10:13 AM
Anybody with a post 2004 SRX able to confirm this works!!??

I don't have my 06 anymore, but I know the person who does and would like to share the info if it is confirmed to work past 04.

Regardless, awesome find!!!

compfan03
10-04-07, 12:07 PM
I am also interested in how you found this. We had so many brilliant people working on this problem since the beginning of '04.

sgilbert
10-04-07, 12:24 PM
Obviously he works for Denso, Cadillac, or a dealer. Also, if he's smart, he will NOT say who he is or where he works. His potential liability would escalate exponentially!

Be content that he finally let loose of the info---Enjoy the new freedom as I am!

TSS
10-04-07, 02:39 PM
No confirmed post 2004 SRX models (ie. 05/06) yet????????

mike_1103
10-04-07, 03:42 PM
On my 2008 SRX, the Navigation System is different from the one shown in the pictures posted by Jdawg. I cannot try the hack because there is no "Route" button to start with!

I think the only solution for us is the GMX320: http://www.coastaletech.com/GMX320.htm

Regards,

Mike.

compfan03
10-05-07, 09:34 AM
Just wanted to report back that the hack works on my 2004 SRX. For me, too, the RETURN button is under the clock, but it is very easy to get to. I just got to the menu - did not try in motion, but I assume it will work.

Has anyone tried the gmx320 shown above. It looks very interesting.

jdawg757
10-05-07, 12:18 PM
I have a 2005 SRX - works like a charm

I found this solution on the DTS navigation forum - it looked identical to my navigation system so I tried it and of course it works!

No I dont work for anyone related to Cadillac - I just drive one - and now I love that the stupid disable is disabled and my passenger can enter in destinations without me pulling the car over!!!

sgilbert
10-05-07, 12:42 PM
Whatever the means, YOU DA MAN, jdawg! Thanks again!

compfan03
10-05-07, 02:47 PM
I have to add my thanks again, as well. I cannot believe there aren't more comments here, as this was a very hot topic a couple of years ago. There really was a lot of effort put in trying to crack the system lock-out. I guess everyone here gave up. I just wanted to be sure the original poster knows how much his efforts are appreciated.

zerocar
10-05-07, 03:48 PM
bad news!! i have 2005 v8 and the work around dosn't work for me. I held the right corner while in map mode and the screen with 10 options came up. I pressed the RUN button but it did not light up. tried several times even held the RUN button for a few seconds but it does not light or make any sounds.
I then hit the return button but it just brings me back to the route screen with only route preferences highlighted.

help,,did i do something wrong.

sgilbert
10-05-07, 04:11 PM
Yes you did. Go back and re-read. You need to get into "Route" 1st, then btm rt corner for 8 sec then run then enter.

zerocar
10-05-07, 05:02 PM
:banghead:
thx for your response. while i did leave it out of my post i was in route mode. it's the only way i know to access the screen where the hidden button is. so while in map mode i hit the route button and then in the bottom right hand corner i pressed for 8 sec and the 10 option screen came up. the Run button doesn't highlight at all. I pressed some of the other buttons such as "lang", "sound", etc and they light and take me to other screens which i exited. So I'm stuck w/o navi on the fly.

Zerocar

Fyreman235
10-05-07, 07:24 PM
Tried over and over on my 05n*. I was able to get the menu screen, but the run button would not light up. It beeped, but return always took me back to the destination screen with only the preference button lit. Might be a bug in the 04 that they fixed in 05.

rackey
10-06-07, 10:17 PM
Tried over and over on my 05n*. I was able to get the menu screen, but the run button would not light up. It beeped, but return always took me back to the destination screen with only the preference button lit.

Same thing here. No go with my 05 6cyl with luxury/performance.

Permnico
10-07-07, 08:50 PM
Interesting. No clue why some seem to get this to work an others not. I have an 05N* ... works exactly like the instructions said it would. Thanks again to jdawg!!
:2thumbs:

satconxion
10-08-07, 03:07 PM
Hi to all from spain, sorry for my english.

Two weeks ago arrive to my city, Barcelona my new Cadillac from USA, not from EU dealers, I buy this from pre-owned dealer, all is fine and works perfect, I need help because is necessary to upgrade the navigation system to EU.

- How is possible to unlock the GPS module for work with European DVD maps from Cadillac or from other DENSO original disk?
- How is possible to unlock the DVD player, now only is possible to play region 1 movies, same in the Panasonic rear multimedia system

Other idea is to change the system for another vendor, p.e. Pioneer Avic o Kenwood indash but, that it happens with the information of the car, gas consumption, pressure of wheels, oil life, etc… that appears in the origin system?

Very best regards
JL Garcia
jlgarcia@satconxion.com

jdawg757
10-09-07, 03:02 PM
Thanks to all for the pats on the back - you may send donations to my paypal account!!!

mitranom
11-29-07, 12:46 PM
In my opinion, using the good ol' 1791 code is much easier than the touch screen walk-around. Plus the 1791 code lets me view movies while in motion. The coolest by far is to watch music-video DVD's at night while driving. The Drivers next me are impressed. Way cool. Like watching MTV on a dark and lonly highway - this feater I love most with my SRX period.

Hello all, I'm brand new to this forum, and I think you guys can help me...from the above quote, will that work with my CTS with xm, 6cd indash?

TSS
11-29-07, 01:12 PM
Hello all, I'm brand new to this forum, and I think you guys can help me...from the above quote, will that work with my CTS with xm, 6cd indash?

May work if it is an 04 and not had any radio/nav work done on it. They fixed the code bypass in 05.

bigdaddysrx
12-02-07, 07:14 AM
Checked the hidden button in my '04 yesterday. Worked!!!
regards,

capani
01-01-08, 02:09 PM

I keep seeing this reference to the 1791 code in forum, and would love to watch DVD while driving but where do u enter that code. Have 2004 SRX

capani
01-01-08, 02:11 PM
Have SRX 2004 but where do u enter that 1791 code? Would love to play dvd's

sgilbert
01-01-08, 04:01 PM
Hold the "musical note" for 3-4 seconds; when the code blanks come up, enter the 1791, then "enter". You're good to go until the shut the SRX off.

gottawonder
01-05-08, 08:54 PM
Interesting. No clue why some seem to get this to work an others not. I have an 05N* ... works exactly like the instructions said it would. Thanks again to jdawg!!
:2thumbs:

Yep...tried my 05/N*AWDLuxPerform tonight and it worked fine... Could it be the nav disc version??? I"m still using the one that came with it in 05...

lois
01-12-08, 11:22 PM
JDAWG757, can you or any other members, help me to "open" or bypass the factor safety features in my 2006 Cadillac CTS's DVD NAV system? Factor settings prohibit us from playing the DVD or entering search information in my Navigation system while the car is in drive? Sad to say I have driven this car for 2 years with having to park in a shopping centers parking lot because the children wanted to see the end of a movie while traveling long distance to their grandparentsor worse yet pull over on side of road or major highway with car whipping by to enter an address while traveling for business..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

laserguy
01-13-08, 01:20 AM
Yep...tried my 05/N*AWDLuxPerform tonight and it worked fine... Could it be the nav disc version??? I"m still using the one that came with it in 05...

IS not the disc...is the SRAM memory who is inside the NAV console

silversteed
01-14-08, 01:31 AM
Worked on my 05 V8

Brent1260
01-27-08, 01:46 PM
I was able to disable the NAV but how do I disable the DVD?

CadillacSTS42005
01-28-08, 12:27 PM
search
it was just posted 5 posts up try reading #34

RobVuk
01-28-08, 03:26 PM
I presume no one has figured out how to do this on an 08?

khalilio
01-29-08, 11:10 PM
I presume no one has figured out how to do this on an 08?

I would love to find out too. RobVuk, if you own a 08 GM, can you please confirm if you get the Bird's eye view if you hit the compass icon?
Mine goes through the following: North Up, Track Up and Bird's eye view.

The reason I'm asking is I made so many hybrid DVD's I think I have few different options than what I've seen before. I just don't know if those options where there in the first place.

Thanks

RobVuk
01-30-08, 09:14 AM
I would love to find out too. RobVuk, if you own a 08 GM, can you please confirm if you get the Bird's eye view if you hit the compass icon?
Mine goes through the following: North Up, Track Up and Bird's eye view.

The reason I'm asking is I made so many hybrid DVD's I think I have few different options than what I've seen before. I just don't know if those options where there in the first place.

Thanks

Funny you should ask. I don't really drive the car that much since it's for my wife. Of course, I'm the one who figures everything out and explains it to her. I noticed that birds eye view a couple of times by accident because I play around when I'm riding with her and I'm not exactly sure it comes on every time. I've scrolled through the compass icon when I was looking for it one day and I couldn't get it. Then just last night, there it was. So I'll have to play with it again to confirm that it works every time.

What kind of hybrid DVD's are you making that would give you different features?
Thanks

laserguy
01-30-08, 09:43 PM
Worked on my 05 V8

When you press the sounf key ? when you are driving or in Parking...On my 05 V* NAV is not working.

CadillacSTS42005
01-30-08, 11:22 PM
ur 05 must be after the cut off
the hack doesnt work anymore

khalilio
01-30-08, 11:37 PM
Funny you should ask. I don't really drive the car that much since it's for my wife. Of course, I'm the one who figures everything out and explains it to her. I noticed that birds eye view a couple of times by accident because I play around when I'm riding with her and I'm not exactly sure it comes on every time. I've scrolled through the compass icon when I was looking for it one day and I couldn't get it. Then just last night, there it was. So I'll have to play with it again to confirm that it works every time.

What kind of hybrid DVD's are you making that would give you different features?
Thanks

I'm in the middle east, and we are missing a lot features on the NAV DVD, like most of the POI's you have in the U.S./ Canada and Europe version. Eventhough it comes from the same company GM, same system Denso and same maps and POI's provider NAVTEQ! You can't even find ATM's or Banks on the middle East DVD, and it is Version 2.0 still!

Anyhow, my wife's car is a Lexus LS460, I made a backup copy of the Lexus NAV DVD and tried it on my '08 Yukon Denal, and it works! (Since bothe systems are done by Denso).
Shame though that there is no voice guidance from the Lexus DVD, I belive the audio system is different.

The Middle East GM DVD is missing the LOADING.KWI file, so I guess that is only included when there is a requirement for a firmware update.

I have burned 7 different DVDs each with a different combination, trying to get the POIs from the Lexus DVD while keeping the map (ALLDATA.KWI) from the GM DVD.

Guess what? It is working. Now I have more POIs, the latest -well at least- map from GM (Which by the way has the voice guidance built in I guess as the Lexus has a seperate VOICEDAT.KWI).

One problem though, there is a reference for the POIs icons in the ALLDATA.KWI file, so the new POIs I've got now -which never existed before- are shown without icons.
But once I get my hands wet, I will fix that problem, and who knows, may be I will sell my copy to GM Middle East :D

armsteadm
02-04-08, 03:33 PM
Hi Mike1103,
I have been told by Coastaletech the GMX320 does not work for the SRX has anyone actually tried it?

steined
02-13-08, 01:40 PM
I have the same question. Does the coastaltech GMX unit work on the SRX...

I guess I'll have to start hacking around after I get mine on Saturday...

RobVuk
02-13-08, 04:24 PM
I have the same question. Does the coastaltech GMX unit work on the SRX...

I guess I'll have to start hacking around after I get mine on Saturday...

Good luck trying to find out anything from Coastal. Their customer service is the worst. I wouldn't buy from them now even if it did work.

khalilio:
The "birds eye view" or "perspective view" on the nav is definitely in rotation with the other compass settings. North, up. Car, up. Car, up with perspective view.

uaeXuae
09-12-08, 11:37 AM
I'm in the middle east, and we are missing a lot features on the NAV DVD, like most of the POI's you have in the U.S./ Canada and Europe version. Eventhough it comes from the same company GM, same system Denso and same maps and POI's provider NAVTEQ! You can't even find ATM's or Banks on the middle East DVD, and it is Version 2.0 still!

Anyhow, my wife's car is a Lexus LS460, I made a backup copy of the Lexus NAV DVD and tried it on my '08 Yukon Denal, and it works! (Since bothe systems are done by Denso).
Shame though that there is no voice guidance from the Lexus DVD, I belive the audio system is different.

The Middle East GM DVD is missing the LOADING.KWI file, so I guess that is only included when there is a requirement for a firmware update.

I have burned 7 different DVDs each with a different combination, trying to get the POIs from the Lexus DVD while keeping the map (ALLDATA.KWI) from the GM DVD.

Guess what? It is working. Now I have more POIs, the latest -well at least- map from GM (Which by the way has the voice guidance built in I guess as the Lexus has a seperate VOICEDAT.KWI).

One problem though, there is a reference for the POIs icons in the ALLDATA.KWI file, so the new POIs I've got now -which never existed before- are shown without icons.
But once I get my hands wet, I will fix that problem, and who knows, may be I will sell my copy to GM Middle East :D

I own an LS 460 I want to clone the DVD MAP. So i can reuse it again on the LS 460 Again. no matter how i try it never works. Could you please walk me through ? May you try the copied version on your wifes car to see if it works or not ?

Mhand
09-15-08, 02:07 AM
I tried the Unlock Navigation trick with my 2006 SRX and it works fine.

Any one knows what the rest of the options from the hidden button (SW, SRAM) are for?

sgilbert
09-15-08, 11:35 AM
I'm surprised it worked on an '06.

I wouldn't mess with the other buttons, as you very likely could "brick" your NAV.

Mhand
09-21-08, 06:17 AM
The "1791" code did not work on my 2006 SRX :(

srx05v8
11-20-08, 11:56 PM
How interesting! I have 05 V8 and at first neither the 1791 code or the hidden button trick worked (like many other 05 owners I could get to the blue screen with 10 buttons but couldn't get RUN to do anything). Then - I am not sure about the exact order here - I COMBINED the 2 tricks and now my nav is unlocked! I don't need to do anything special to keep it working, just hit ROUTE while driving and all the functional buttons will show up. The catch is that if I don't use the buttons right away, 9 of them will gray out just like the regular lockup screen. I will then have to wait for about 15 seconds and the buttons will turn blue again for another 5 or 6 seconds. it seems the buttons will cycle like this indefinitely while I am driving. Very cool!

wazie18
01-03-09, 04:12 AM
Hello my peeps one question, will my navie rest its self after I shut off engine ( from useing the 7119 code ) will I be able to use my navie once I start back up with out wife and kids(no move time).

Sorry 1791

jperdigon
05-24-09, 02:40 PM
I have a guy from florida, not from coastaletech that sold me a piece just like that lockpick for a 2008 SRX, good customer service and the piece worked right out of the box. i'm happy with it. PM for more info if you want it.

jperdigon
05-26-09, 01:15 PM
sorry to the people who tried PM me, i am new in this forum and i'm not able to PM yet, my email is goyex@hotmail.com if you are really in a hurry to get more information about these pieces for SRX 07 and Up.

ThumperPup
07-16-09, 12:24 AM
hitting the road tomorrow to come back from DC to detorit so going to test this out see if it works on the road then detroit to cleveland and then afte ri stop in cleveland for a day then to chicago so wish me luck my unit is from a 2004 but the build date of the unit is 2002 so i hope this works
id be suprised if it doenst
jason was really suprised when doing the instal he said first unit he ever ever saw that didnt lock up as soon as the car was turned on and im really curiosue why eyveorne seems to have the theflock problem but when i it put in mine i neve rhad ot have it unlock so goign to try this hack for the navi in rout tomorrow thanks

ThumperPup
07-16-09, 05:57 PM
im half yaw back from my trip and it works i found that if i used a stylus from my PDA phone that it works better then using the finger to get to that return button

rrurqu
01-09-10, 07:37 PM
I tried the 1791 code and pressing the "run " button on my 2005 SRX while in drive and when stopped and when in motion but neither works. Has anyone found a solution for a 2005 SRX with an XM radio?

70eldo
01-10-10, 04:10 PM
I tried the 1791 and this unlock on the 2006 Euro-SRX I testdrove and they both work. Hurray!

The dealer is fixing all the issues I found during the testdrive and then I will pick up the car in February. I traded my 2006 CTS temporarily for this SRX as long as it takes for Cadilac to come back to Europe and I receive my CTS wagon... I really hope I made the right decision!

tskustomgraphics
01-11-10, 11:00 AM
I just recieved instructions to unlock DVD in motion for post 04 models.. they are as follows..Here are the steps for the DVD player:

1. Put in DVD
2. Play DVD (do not leave it at the front menu, if you do not start the DVD you will not be able to start it after you begin to drive.)
3. While playing - hit the second from the bottom buttons on the right hand side of the DVD screen and then press the forward SEEK button. (you should see the screen flicker)
NOTE: If you see a different screen with the words "cold reboot" on it, press the same button combination AGAIN and it should go back to the DVD.
4. Now disable the parking brake and make sure the DVD stays on.
5. Enjoy !!

If you did everything correct you will notice that all the features are disabled. If you are at the main menu of the DVD you will not be able to select play movie or any features.

If you would like to stop the DVD, you must hit the top right button first. Then it will bring up the safety lock if you are in motion or parking brake is off.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-20-10, 10:48 AM
I'm happy to report that this works on the 04 SRX I bought yesterday...thanks!

wratran
08-18-11, 11:30 PM
bad news!! i have 2005 v8 and the work around dosn't work for me. I held the right corner while in map mode and the screen with 10 options came up. I pressed the RUN button but it did not light up. tried several times even held the RUN button for a few seconds but it does not light or make any sounds.
I then hit the return button but it just brings me back to the route screen with only route preferences highlighted.

help,,did i do something wrong.

Did not work on 06 srx.
I try the switch hack on the VSS ...that work OK. The route menu will appear for about the 30 sec., then shut off. Turn the switch off then on...will give you another 30 sec...

lemmon
08-22-11, 04:24 AM
Dear wratran

I am insterested to know two things

1.- VSS switching hack... May I ask you to let me know where can i get some information regarding this hack?

2.- Do you know of this hacking works with Video while driving?

Thanks in advance

wratran
08-22-11, 10:45 PM
Here is the wiring diagram for the VSS. Its the big blue connector behind the nav.
Just cut it and run a switch. I finally put it to good use with a passenger...they can toggle the on/off switch to input the address while the car is moving.

Video does not work. The DVD player is tied into the transmission. Once you are out of "PARK"..video shut off.
The NAV is tied to speed...so the VSS work well.

wratran
08-22-11, 10:50 PM
here is the pictures of the VSS wire.

It's the brown wire at the 2nd hole locations...it's already been cut

mrriverajr
10-24-11, 08:21 PM
Nice!!!