: Leaking Oil

caddishaq
09-29-07, 11:42 PM
SRX was leaking oil. Cadillac fixed it. Took them all day. Any one else have this problem?

smithb
09-30-07, 12:18 AM
My '04 V8 is slowly leaking oil. Every couple days I find a drop of very thick oil on the garage floor, almost like grease, but it comes from the center of the car. I changed the oil last weekend and noticed oil on the front of the oil pan. I was wondering if the front main seal is leaking. Do you know where the oil was coming from? I have one of the first one's built and have had very very few problems with it, but this one has me a little scared. I have the extended warranty but with the $200 deductable, so I want to make sure I know what to the problem could be before I take it in and I have to pay for them to tell me there isn't a problem. Good thing yours was fixed under warranty.

73Thumper
10-01-07, 10:10 AM
Are you sure it is engine oil? I have already lost the rear pinion seal in my 07 - with 6000 miles. Very thick - and very bad odor. Mine was terminal though - not a few drops - but a big leak. Check the area at the drive shaft input to rear end. If it is leaking - even a few drops - it will "spin" off the rear Ujoint and the gear oil will be spread around that area. It was a easy fix for the dealer - and something they said was not uncommon.

FarEast
10-03-07, 09:57 PM
Check the level in the steering fluid reservoir. I had a case of leaky power steering hose. But it sure looked just like engine oil leak - occasional drop here and there on the garage floor and oil covered bottom of the engine .

mikek84121
10-03-07, 10:34 PM
I had a leak around 350 miles. At 450, the V8 engine was replaced. The final diagnosis was a pourous block...bad casting.

Mike

Eldo1953
10-04-07, 01:07 AM
I had a leak around 350 miles. At 450, the V8 engine was replaced. The final diagnosis was a pourous block...bad casting.

Mike

:wtf:

catbert
10-08-07, 12:35 PM

Mike

Haven't seen that in a decade or two.:yup:

NicSRX
10-09-07, 05:54 PM
I had a consisitant small drip coming from the bottom of the oil filter. First they said the filter wasn't "tight enough", then the servicing Cadillac dealer blamed it on the dealer I bought the vehicle from for not using original Caddy parts. They replaced with orig parts, but I still had the leak. Just this past week they replaced the housing that the filter is screwed into? I actually forgot to check it when I picked up the vehicle because I had a few other probs that took prioity, but I will check it when I get home. Of course they fail to top off the oil every time I take it back too!

z06bigbird
10-10-07, 12:12 AM
I had a consisitant small drip coming from the bottom of the oil filter. First they said the filter wasn't "tight enough", then the servicing Cadillac dealer blamed it on the dealer I bought the vehicle from for not using original Caddy parts. They replaced with orig parts, but I still had the leak. Just this past week they replaced the housing that the filter is screwed into? I actually forgot to check it when I picked up the vehicle because I had a few other probs that took prioity, but I will check it when I get home. Of course they fail to top off the oil every time I take it back too!

Maybe service writer or mechanic likes you.

z06bigbird
10-10-07, 12:14 AM
In 50 years, having bought about 50 cars, I have never had an oil leak--from anywhere in drive train. I admit that I have tightened up pan gaskets; in my mind, that does not count.

I have always had excellent luck with cars. Then again, I check out a car thoroughly prior to buying. I need to learn to do that with women.

donhenry@aeiwireless
10-28-07, 08:54 PM
2007 SRX V6 AWD . It took 6 weels to get Timing chains replaced. Oil leak now. Going back to dealer in AM
Don

mikek84121
10-28-07, 11:16 PM
After a complete engine replacement at 450 miles, I ended up with another leak last week at 2670 miles. I took it to my dealer and they gave me a brand new SRX V6 as a loaner. Grey/Grey just like my V8...really a nice peppy car. It turns out that my leak was the front timing cover and according to my service writer it is very common. It took a day to complete and I got another oil change out of it. Thank god for a great dealer but shame on GM. This car is being leased and will be turned back in when that lease is up. I normally sell my low mileage vehicles to friends, however, not this one. Way too many problems already...I am not happy.

Mike

NicSRX
11-06-07, 03:34 PM
The problem with my leaky oil filter is fixed. The housing that the filter is screwed into was apparrantly stripped. They ended up replacing the housing and the drip seems to be gone. I was told that the oil was topped off, but when we got home I noticed that the guage read 72%. I will be taking it back yet again for them to fill the oil.

john d
11-06-07, 05:35 PM
The problem with my leaky oil filter is fixed. The housing that the filter is screwed into was apparrantly stripped. They ended up replacing the housing and the drip seems to be gone. I was told that the oil was topped off, but when we got home I noticed that the guage read 72%. I will be taking it back yet again for them to fill the oil.
You might be looking at oil life at 72%, not the oil level.
Check the dip stick after the engine has been turned off for 5 minutes or so.
Who has been doing your oil and filter changes?

NicSRX
11-07-07, 03:18 PM
Your right. I am looking at the oil life. But , shouldn't it read 100% if it is full? How can they measure the life % of oil?
I purchased the vehicle in Nov 06 from a non Caddy dealer so they did the first oil change. The second one was done by a Cadillac Servicing Dealer.

john d
11-07-07, 06:30 PM
Oil life is a computer calculated percentage of how long before the next oil change. Cadillac (GM) says the computer registers how hard the engine works and determines when the oil has lost its lubricating qualities or how much dirt is in the oil that causes engine wear.
The dipstick tells how much oil is in the engine and if it's in need of more.
I'd hope that the service engine soon would alert if oil was dangerously low.
Having said all that, I don't know if the computer calculates a shorter oil life if the oil level falls below a certain level or if regular oil is used instead of Mobile 1.

MortnCyn
11-07-07, 06:40 PM
It should only read 100% when they have changed to oil. If they just add oil the remaining % of oil life will remain the same. The % is oil life and not oil level. You still need to check to oil level on a regular basis. The % of oil life is based on how you drive, temperature, rpms etc. etc. etc. to quote the King of Siam.

djfcars
11-08-07, 01:54 AM
My Wife called me to tell me that oil is pouring out of the bottom of the engine. Its a '05 V-8 and its got about 21,000 miles. The dealer also said a motor mount is loose and the water pump is also leaking!

I can't see buying this thing after the lease is up in August. There are way too many other choices out there for the money.

syrob@MSN.COM
11-08-07, 08:48 AM
Oil life is a computer calculated percentage of how long before the next oil change. Cadillac (GM) says the computer registers how hard the engine works and determines when the oil has lost its lubricating qualities or how much dirt is in the oil that causes engine wear.
The dipstick tells how much oil is in the engine and if it's in need of more.
I'd hope that the service engine soon would alert if oil was dangerously low.
Having said all that, I don't know if the computer calculates a shorter oil life if the oil level falls below a certain level or if regular oil is used instead of Mobile 1.

It does not know only regular oil is used.

It does not actually measure dirt, only uses a lookup table etc..

John, drop me a line I have very interesting info on the firmware engine issue...

SYROB

Hoppiecat
11-08-07, 11:04 AM
I had an 07 SRX V8. Had several oil leaks at 200 miles then at 600 miles the drive shaft needed replacing. Cadillac bought the vehicle back from me and I got 07 V8 AWD. It now has about 3500 miles on it and it was leaking oil. Mine also turned out to be a rear pinion seal. Hopefully, no more problems because I love the car.