: So, Where Exactly Is The Fuel Filter?

09-29-07, 12:31 PM
I know just enough about cars to be dangerous (as anyone reading my posts would know). I do read that changing the fuel filter on a car regularly is the best way to avoid injector problems down the road. I also know that, sometimes, it's in the gas tank which means the tank must be removed (expensive) to replace the filter. So, where is it and how much of a big deal is it to replace? :confused:

09-29-07, 05:26 PM
What part of chicago are you from Skibanker?

09-29-07, 11:41 PM
I'd like to know also... I am going to look under the passenger rear door, next time I am under the skirt. Seems to be every other weekend. Flushed the power steering fluid today.. Maybe fuel filter next week.

09-30-07, 08:54 AM
The fuel filter is located inside the frame rail near the fuel tank.
There is no longer a recommended service interval for these anymore.
Basically GM tells us to replace it if the car stops running.

09-30-07, 01:35 PM
Thanks, Ewill. However, do you agree that changing it every 25,000 miles or so helps keep the injectors in good condition? And what does your dealership charge, if you don't mind telling me (us). Thanks!
Cary, BooYaka.

09-30-07, 04:14 PM
I am going to change it as I am the second owner of the car. I am sure the first put the cheapest fuel they could find in it. The Throttle body and intake was pretty black when I got it at 28K. Cheap money and 10 minutes to change.. yeah I'm gonna do it.

09-30-07, 05:28 PM
I haven't priced one lately, not sure how much they cost.
I wouldn't say they really have an effect on the fuel injectors themselves, the only way that can really be true is if they actually fail and stuff gets through. They usually clog first and the car will quit running or cook the fuel pump.

As for mileage, I used to recommend it once a year... but anymore I'd say probably on a 30,000 mile service would be good.
We have menus that include that kind of thing with an "if it applies" statement. Some vehicles have no fuel filter anymore. They are actually part of the pump and not serviced. (trucks mainly)

As for pricing, you could check with Luke (Lindsay Cadillac Parts) as to how much the filter costs.
We usually charge around $50 for labor depending on how much of a nightmare it is.
Most of the modern ones aren't too bad.

I would still recommend changing it more often than GM says to ;)

09-30-07, 06:04 PM

09-30-07, 07:02 PM
I just found mine. It's just infront of the Right Rear Tire. Looks like I will need a 1/2inch wrench and quick disconnect tool. 2 of them to undo. I don't like the look of it. The threads on the out side seem to have a bit of rust on them, so I will hit it with the PB Blaster a day before I do it. For the amount of fuel that I pass thru the filter, I am going to order tomorrow. V8 ACDELCO Part # GF897 {#25763176} 14.82. Now I just need a to find/buy a quick disconnect tool.

09-30-07, 10:24 PM
Enlighten a poor city boy, Porkfarm.. What's a "quick disconnect tool"?

Benjamin Simon
09-30-07, 11:38 PM
I think it might be a hammer.

10-01-07, 06:18 AM
It's a special tool that inserts into the plastic connection to allow release.. I remember seeing one on a freinds snap-on truck a few years back. Kind of like a pair of vise grips with a special connection on the end.

10-01-07, 06:04 PM
And this tool would be needed to change the filter? (I haven't looked under the car yet. Been traveling.)

10-01-07, 07:20 PM
ok guys where is the filter in the pasenger side rear wheel well... and can i get to it....auto zone quoted me $12.99 for the part

10-01-07, 08:01 PM
just before the wheel well. Kind of where you would jack the car up with the caddy jack . Just go a bit deeper. and look up . If you buy the new filter, you will know what you are looking for. I am not sure if you NEED the tool, sure does look like it. AZ might have a loaner tool .. I have never used it myself, but have seen them.. I am going to start looking around the web for them.

10-01-07, 11:26 PM
Found this. Looks pretty close.


10-02-07, 06:30 AM
I am not sure on that specific vehicle since I haven't done one yet.
The tool you'd typically use looks something like this one.


10-07-07, 12:35 PM
I think my eldo it is in front of the driver side rear wheel... but i did find another filter type round thing in the front.. it might be ac related.. it was dark and i could not see too well.. will be checking today.. hope i can do this without buying another specialty tool..

10-07-07, 02:51 PM
Opposite of slow disconnect tool.

10-08-07, 10:41 AM
the quick disconnect tool is a piece of plactic that goes around the fuel pipe and that is inserted into the junction to unlock it. it is semi-circle, about 3/8ths of an inch and all you do is press into the joint...

You can not disconnect the fuel filter without it (i know I tried!)....

ask for it at the car parts store when you buy the filter.... normally they'll mention it but in my case I had to return to get one.