: '05 STS - Slipping Transmission at low MPH

freshchops
09-28-07, 12:18 AM
Hey, first time here!

I'm driving an '05 STS (V8), 1SG performance, Auto transmission with right under 50k miles.

I'm noticing more and more that it feels the transmission is slipping, or giving out on me only while going between about about 25-35 MPH, and strangely enough, only noticable within those speeds. I'm not very knowledgeable about mechanics and all, but kind'a has a feeling like slipping transmission.

Any huntches as to what could be causing this. I'm also thinking something along the lines of a Timing Belt?

Also, does this sound like something covered by the GM warranty... even at the point of it being suspicious or does the engine need to drop out first?

Thanks for any input, I'd be glad to throw out more details if the question seems to bleek.

Thanks!
C

caddydaddy
09-28-07, 08:17 AM
Before I'd even look at it, I'd take it in and have Cadillac look at it for free using the factory 4 year or 50,000 mile warranty! Just be sure you get it in before you hit 50k, or you're SOL!

urbanski
09-28-07, 06:27 PM
copied here

dkozloski
09-29-07, 01:45 AM
Hey, first time here!

I'm driving an '05 STS (V8), 1SG performance, Auto transmission with right under 50k miles.

I'm noticing more and more that it feels the transmission is slipping, or giving out on me only while going between about about 25-35 MPH, and strangely enough, only noticable within those speeds. I'm not very knowledgeable about mechanics and all, but kind'a has a feeling like slipping transmission.

Any huntches as to what could be causing this. I'm also thinking something along the lines of a Timing Belt?

Also, does this sound like something covered by the GM warranty... even at the point of it being suspicious or does the engine need to drop out first?

Thanks for any input, I'd be glad to throw out more details if the question seems to bleek.

Thanks!
C
There are no timing belts in this car. The cam drive is with chains. What are you trying to describe? Is the engine running away as the car falls on its face or what?

Caroutisine
09-29-07, 01:59 AM
Mine is doing the same thing at those low speeds. 16,000 miles and I'm the original owner. Had it in the dealer a couple weeks ago and they were "unable to duplicate customer's concern". But I know something is up with it. Just have to wait for it to get worse I guess.

rb92gt
09-29-07, 11:43 AM
There is a technical service bulletin out about a transmission shudder. Other posts on here about that. I had transmission shudder that felt like a "slipping". Dealer fixed problem. Dealerships do get offended when you bring your car to them and tell them about one of their TSB's. Why, I don't know, it's not rocket science.

freshchops
09-29-07, 03:14 PM
rb92gt, Any links or reference to the TSB for the "shudder"?

I'd like to have a reference available to approach them about? Does this
regard the '05?

Thanks,
C

Caroutisine
10-02-07, 07:53 AM
It sounds like TSB 060730030.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbresults.cfm?start=1&SearchType=DrillDown&type=VEHICLE&year=2005&make=CADILLAC&model=STS&typenum=1&component_id=180&prod_id=204367&PrintVersion=YES

rb92gt
10-02-07, 09:10 PM
Thats the one. Details from General Motors exactly as TSB reads:

Document ID#1869958
TSB#06-07-30-030

5L50-E Transmission Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Surge, Shudder or Chuggle (Reprogram TCM) (10/31/2006)

Models affected: (With 4.6L V8 Engine VIN A)
2004-2006 Cadillac SRX
2005-2006 Cadillac STS

Correction:
Reprogram TCM (Transmission Control Module)

If condition still persists and mileage is greater than 25,000 mi, replace torque converter, flush transmission oil cooler, and replace transmission fluid.

Benjamin Simon
10-03-07, 02:10 AM
Is that the AWD tranny, because I am having the problem and I have RWD?

rb92gt
10-03-07, 08:54 PM
It fixed my problem, and I have RWD.