: Seat fart 05 STS

malcolm
09-28-07, 12:24 PM
I know this was already posted but my searches have not found the posts. My 05 front seat has started farting. I don't really know how long it's been going on I just began to notice it. It seems to only happen in the morning after about 10 minutes of driving. Maybe one or two fart noises and I haven't noticed them again. Can someone tell me about this funny little problem?

dkozloski
09-28-07, 12:30 PM
Change your breakfast menu.

MARKVIII
09-28-07, 02:04 PM
combination sausage grease and flop sweat.

urbanski
09-28-07, 02:13 PM
^
|
|
did you look up at the sticky?
www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-beyond/105242-problem-your-2005-sts-click-here.html

dhemrick
09-28-07, 04:50 PM
I know this was already posted but my searches have not found the posts. My 05 front seat has started farting. I don't really know how long it's been going on I just began to notice it. It seems to only happen in the morning after about 10 minutes of driving. Maybe one or two fart noises and I haven't noticed them again. Can someone tell me about this funny little problem?

If laying off the baked beans, broccoli casserole, sauerkraut and deviled eggs doesn't help, then there is a TSB about this problem. The driver's seat in my STS-V did the same thing. It was kind of funny for a while, but the novelty eventually wore off so I had it fixed under warranty. It is a fairly common problem and your dealer should know about it.

They fix it by cutting some plastic tubing lengthwise and shimming up the cushion of the seat so that it no longer rubs against the seat frame thus causing the sound you describe. I had both my front seats done a few months ago and have had no problems since.

Lifer
09-28-07, 04:55 PM
combination sausage grease and flop sweat.

Its best not to produce these audible entertainments while sitting in the seat while seat cooling mode is in the active position. However, the military solution is to briskly lower the side door window, or open the sliding glass sun roof, and just smile. After the feelings have passed, your are free to close the pneumonia holes you have created and work on the next generation of noise. :shhh:

lbwd
09-28-07, 10:17 PM
In my situation, it's usually not my seat... it's me. :farting:
But do keep in mind, this is on the 1996 STS. Your situation may be more serious.

DG2
09-28-07, 11:08 PM

It is not the seat ! I have an '05 STS and had the same issue last year. It is the vent door that automatically will close fresh air from coming into the cabin. This occurs when you have your " recirculate" switch on and I bet you have yours set to " auto ". There was a service bulleten on this and my dealer fixed it and it has never happened again.

To show your dealer the " fart" push your recirculate button and you will hear it. No big deal.....:bouncy:

malcolm
09-29-07, 03:40 PM
I have confirmed and can no reproduce at will the sound by hitting the circulation button on the HVAC panel. It's funny, I could swear the sound comes fomr the back of my seat. Guess the old ears ain't what they used to be.
Thanks. Anyone see any problem with just living with this? Will it get worse or do some additional damage?

c5 rv
09-29-07, 10:08 PM
Hmm, maybe it has to do with the seats sucking instead of blowing?

VA Maddog
09-30-07, 10:55 AM
Are you still under GM warrantee? If you are have the dealer fix it. If not there is a repair kit for under $20 that you can do yourself if you are ahndy and have 2-3 hours to do it someweekend. If you want to go down that path I will try to dig up the step by staep and send it to you. I have the kit sitting on my workbench with the instructions, just have not had tim e to do it yet.

I don't think that it gets any worse, so you can choose to just live with the noise.

Malcom - clear out your message box, it is full and blocking any new PM's.

malcolm
09-30-07, 01:27 PM
VA,

I cleaned out the inbox, sorry about that and I am still under warranty. What always concerns me with problems that involve interrior work are ending up with a rattle or a misaligned part upon reassembly. No bash on the techs but sometimes some of the cheaper interrior parts don't reassemble well. I have a piece of my console coming up but I'm not fooling around with that either and I am the only one who notices and to be honest I am looking to get out of this car.

Skibanker
09-30-07, 02:46 PM
Malcolm, I had one side of my console start to rise. The dealer replaced the whole top and now it's flush like it should be. IMHO, you should get it fixed while still under warranty.

malcolm
09-30-07, 08:35 PM
Malcolm, I had one side of my console start to rise. The dealer replaced the whole top and now it's flush like it should be. IMHO, you should get it fixed while still under warranty.
That's what mine is doing, I think I will take it in. Thanks