: '05 STS - Slipping Transmission at low MPH

freshchops
09-28-07, 01:18 AM
Hey, first time here!

I'm driving an '05 STS (V8), 1SG performance, Auto transmission with right under 50k miles.

I'm noticing more and more that it feels the transmission is slipping, or giving out on me only while going between about about 25-35 MPH, and strangely enough, only noticable within those speeds. I'm not very knowledgeable about mechanics and all, but kind'a has a feeling like slipping transmission.

Any huntches as to what could be causing this. I'm also thinking something along the lines of a Timing Belt?

Also, does this sound like something covered by the GM warranty... even at the point of it being suspicious or does the engine need to drop out first?

Thanks for any input, I'd be glad to throw out more details if the question seems to bleek.

Thanks!
C

caddydaddy
09-28-07, 09:17 AM
Before I'd even look at it, I'd take it in and have Cadillac look at it for free using the factory 4 year or 50,000 mile warranty! Just be sure you get it in before you hit 50k, or you're SOL!

AJxtcman
09-28-07, 12:54 PM
3.6L ?:hmm:

clarkz71
09-28-07, 01:14 PM
Hey, first time here!

I'm driving an '05 STS (V8), 1SG performance, Auto transmission with right under 50k miles.

Thanks!
C

3.6L ?:hmm:

You got me scratching my head AJ.:hmm:

AJxtcman
09-28-07, 02:28 PM
You got me scratching my head AJ.:hmm:

I read the title and looked up the bulletin to make sure it was just 3.6L and it is. Then I posted the question without reading his post.:banghead:

clarkz71
09-28-07, 02:39 PM
Why does he say V-8?

freshchops
09-28-07, 07:06 PM
OK, I'm confussed.....

It is a '05 STS, Northstar 4.6L V-8, Auto transmission.

What's so confussing about that? Did I say 3.6L ? ...... I say "V-8", as opposed to V-6..... that other engine they come with.

Did I post this in the wrong forum?

caddydaddy
09-28-07, 07:14 PM
OK, I'm confussed.....

It is a '05 STS, Northstar 4.6L V-8, Auto transmission.

What's so confussing about that? Did I say 3.6L ? ...... I say "V-8", as opposed to V-6..... that other engine they come with.

I'm confused too! It's a bunch of posts irrelevant to your transmission problem. You posted in the correct forum for the Northstar engine.

Did you talk to the Cadillac dealer yet?

clarkz71
09-28-07, 07:24 PM
That's why I kept asking AJ why he said 3.6. The guy said V-8.
I don't know where he got 3.6

urbanski
09-28-07, 07:27 PM

no you didnt, you're fine and i dont know what went wrong here.
however i will copy this thread to the STS 05+ forum.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-beyond/118721-05-sts-slipping-transmission-low-mph.html

AJxtcman
09-28-07, 07:40 PM
That's why I kept asking AJ why he said 3.6. The guy said V-8.
I don't know where he got 3.6

The 3.6L have a known chuggle. I have seen quite a few.
It would be like an 00 deville stalling when pulling off the freway = Crank sensor.
STS chuggle/surge below 40mph = TCC issue. 3.6L only.
just habit.

freshchops
09-29-07, 03:15 AM
After talking to my brother who works on cars in spare time and his father in-law who rebuilds Caddy's... he's eased my mind a little. He's basically summarized it as a slight glitch in an electronic based automatic transmission. It's hitting a tricky speed where it doesn't really know what to do; preparing to downshift / preparing to upshift. since it's electronic, it's programed for an intricate speed to make the shift, if you are coasting along at this tricky speed, it goes haywire......

I've narrowed it down to going about 29 MPH steadily. Fortunately, I don't go 29 MPH very much.... at all (mwuuuhaha), but still. And even if it is a nonspecific trans. goofy spot, it still makes me kinda nervous. I can't imagine them all rolling off the lot like that.

Maybe it needs to be tuned, I'm not sure. I did just have my 60,000 mile factory service done though and it wasn't noticed or mentioned, although I don't know if they'd look for that.

Thanks