: My problem

rtajajolu
04-23-04, 03:42 PM
Well I have the ghetto northstar in my Oldsmobile Aurora, but a Northstar nonetheless. I have major problem. Had the AC serviced and within an hour I has a hot enigne message come up on my driver information display. It would shut down to four cylinders for a few seconds and then be ok for a little while. Then it would do it again. The strange part is my actual temperature guage is showing 199 degrees, never showing an overheat. I take it back to the mechanic they replace the thermostat, same problem. They replace all hose and check for clogs in cooling system, checks out fine. They check water pump and fins, again no problem. Says its showing a "little" yellow in the head gasket test, but that it doesnt explain the problem. He is perplexed, works on Northstars quite a bit and he is stumped. Water does not appear to be circulating, any opinions? Help is needed!! SAVE MY CAR!

BeelzeBob
04-23-04, 10:23 PM
Well I have the ghetto northstar in my Oldsmobile Aurora, but a Northstar nonetheless. I have major problem. Had the AC serviced and within an hour I has a hot enigne message come up on my driver information display. It would shut down to four cylinders for a few seconds and then be ok for a little while. Then it would do it again. The strange part is my actual temperature guage is showing 199 degrees, never showing an overheat. I take it back to the mechanic they replace the thermostat, same problem. They replace all hose and check for clogs in cooling system, checks out fine. They check water pump and fins, again no problem. Says its showing a "little" yellow in the head gasket test, but that it doesnt explain the problem. He is perplexed, works on Northstars quite a bit and he is stumped. Water does not appear to be circulating, any opinions? Help is needed!! SAVE MY CAR!

Did they check the water pump drive belt and water pump drive belt tensioner...??? It is at the rear of the engine, not the front. The water pump has it's own small drive belt off the intake cam on the left side of the engine.

The other thing to check is for proper flow out the vapor vent hose for the water pump. At the prssurized surge tank find the small, 3/8 hose that attaches to the surge tank. Acutally, on an Aurora you will find two 3/8 hoses at the surge tank. Disconnect one at a time, start the engine briefly and you should observe a steady stream of coolant from the 3/8 hose. Check both of them. If coolant doesn't flow out of one of them when disconnected then determine where the obsttruction is. One comes from the top of the radiator tank and the other comes from the water pump...via the throttle body heater circuit.

Search the archives using "coolant" "coolant supplement" "water pump" etc....and there is lots of info on this subject.

rtajajolu
04-26-04, 04:10 PM
Oh what joy with this now. Ok, I followed your tips and coolant flow is just fine. Flow is steady and temperature is ok. My engine is not everheating. The car just thinks it is. I am highly suspicious of the computer on this car. How do I reset it? Can I get another unit? Help appreciated! Thanks