: Pet Barrier for SRX

c5 rv
09-25-07, 02:43 PM
What are you pet owners using to keep your pets in the back of the SRX? I asked this back in 2005 when I didn't have a SRX. Now I have one - and a new, high energy, dog. The pet net looks too flimsy. The WeatherTech pet barrier is listed for the SRX, now. Other suggestions?

BaseBoy
09-25-07, 05:48 PM
I have the WeatherTech barrier. It needs to be tightened in place on a regular basis. If my dog is excited, I must stop after driving one hour to tighten the wing nuts. Even with the barrier tightly in place, a medium-sized dog can bring the barrier down pretty easy by placing its paws on it. I have no idea if this is a problem with other barriers. It may be to some extent.

pietroraimondi
09-25-07, 07:48 PM
What are you pet owners using to keep your pets in the back of the SRX? I asked this back in 2005 when I didn't have a SRX. Now I have one - and a new, high energy, dog. The pet net looks too flimsy. The WeatherTech pet barrier is listed for the SRX, now. Other suggestions?

Give Cesar Milan a call....he's the "Dog Whisperer". He'll have "Fido" sitting on the backseat and behaving himself like your 80 year old grandmother!:rolleyes:

Just kidding of course, but Cesar does perform miracles with regard to dog behavior.

We have two dacshunds and although they are small dogs; they posses allot of high energy as well. They do ride very well and sit quietly on the back seat of the SRX.

My concern is if the dog is truly "high energy" and you just cage him in the rear of the SRX and the barrier "does work"; he's just going to tear up the rear of the cargo area of the vehicle anyway.

I believe that Cadillac has a "tether accessory" that you can use to sort of "seat belt" him and restrain him onto the back seat. Perhaps using that and having someone work with you and the dog by riding in the rear seat with the dog while he is tethered may help influence and change the dog's behavior.

It's somewhat similiar in leash training a dog to walk. All to often you see dogs walking there owners...(i.e) the dog is 6 feet in front of their owner and dragging the owner down the sidewalk versus the dog being leash trained (healed) to "walk" along side the owner.

Just my 2 cents and good luck.

c5 rv
09-25-07, 09:35 PM
Does anyone have one of these barriers from GM accessories?

http://gmaccessoriesstore.com/interior-cargo-partition-black-p-4233.html?cPath=388_393_413

EGSJR
09-26-07, 11:49 AM
What few times I haul our dog, I just put the pet crate (like you use for plane travel), in the back......

c5 rv
09-26-07, 01:06 PM
What few times I haul our dog, I just put the pet crate (like you use for plane travel), in the back......

We recently adopted a dog and it appears to love to travel in the car. I want it to be able to look at the other cars and slobber up the rear windows, but keep it off the leather and my lap. I miss having my extended cab pickup. I'd fold up the rear seat and open the little tilt-out windows. Our late dog had a blast back there.

z32drifter
09-26-07, 11:58 PM
I would suggest a harness and tether attached too the rear cargo hooks. That would keep your pet in the rear and help restrain him/her in the case of an accident. I don't know about you but the last thing I want is my 80lb dog flying thru the car during a fender bender.

pietroraimondi
09-28-07, 09:55 AM
I would suggest a harness and tether attached too the rear cargo hooks. That would keep your pet in the rear and help restrain him/her in the case of an accident. I don't know about you but the last thing I want is my 80lb dog flying thru the car during a fender bender.

I agree completely from a pure safety factor. Your safety, the dogs and other innocent motorists. Like you stated; the last thing that you need to occur is to slam on the brakes and have a dog come tumbling forward and injure himself or worst yet; end up on the floor near the brake and gas pedal.

It's really irresponsible to drive with a small breed dog sitting on your lap for that very reason and you see people doing that all the time.

I just was looking at the Cadillac accessory catalog and they manufacture a dog harness in various sizes from the very smallest to XXXL. It's a quality harness with a tether leash that attaches to the dogs harness and then to the safety belt or cargo hook and secures the dog to the back seat.

If you have to brake suddenly; the dog remains secured to the back seat and doesn't go tumbling forward.

The total cost was about $35.00 and a bargain at that.

One person made a suggestion about putting a dog crate in the rear cargo area if your dog travels with you on a limited basis and lacks good car manners and social skills.

To follow up on that; places like PetCo sell a collapsible travel crate for even the largest of breeds that has metal rods inside of it to give it rigidity when it is opened and then locked into place like a tent. When you close it; it folds flat like a suitcase.

It's basically made out of a very heavy duty nylon tent like fabric and the sides of it are heavy duty mesh allowing the dog to see through it when they are crated.

Something like that runs about $150.00 and is also a good alternative to keep Fido from chewing on your rear seat headrests if he is of the rowdy type!

c5 rv
09-28-07, 12:58 PM
I ordered the GM barrier from my parts dept. yesterday. I'll post pictures and a review when I get it. I'll try to include the dog in the pics, too, assuming she doesn't insist on licking the lens.

My SRX
01-02-14, 01:25 PM
Actually I have two d rings about halfway back and I put a rope between the two and then attached a short lead onto it and dog collar. You may have to experiment with length. My dog is very large Germann Shepard puppy already over 100 pounds works well for him.

conedoctor
01-02-14, 03:19 PM
Whew that may be a new record, almost a 7 year old thread, the dog in question would be 49 years older now lol